First Colony Center

ZARA

I know right? I just had to explain to my eight year old girl that no, she can't wear shorts like the lady in the picture because that is demeaning to women. :sarcasm:

Then you should be more aware of what your daughter is reading on the internet.:buddies:(said with humor not sarcasm)

DaisyDuke

Could you have said "I'm not sure, honey... I didn't get a good look" when your son asked what they were for/about? That's the route I always took when my daughter approached me with uneasy subjects when she was younger. Now that she's 16, I have no problem explaining things w/more detail because she understands it better.

I obviously didn't go into extreme detail, but he kept asking questions. I was just caught off guard, and wasn't thinking as clearly as I could have been. I was just upset that I had to talk about it at all.

puggymom

First of all I belive they have every right to be out there doing what they did. I would have just explained to my kids about free speech and the dangers of religious extremism.
That being said I get parents being upset...with all the stuff kids are exposed to is it okay in your (general) opinion to add more?

Radiant1

Soul Probe
First of all I belive they have every right to be out there doing what they did. I would have just explained to my kids about free speech and the dangers of religious extremism.
That being said I get parents being upset...with all the stuff kids are exposed to is it okay in your (general) opinion to add more?

I haven't read this whole thread so maybe I missed something, but why do you consider it "religious extremism"? Not all pro-lifers are religious let alone extremist.

puggymom

I haven't read this whole thread so maybe I missed something, but why do you consider it "religious extremism"? Not all pro-lifers are religious let alone extremist.

Not all are at all. Most I can have civilized debates with. Just ones who think it is ok to force these graphic pictures down everyone else's throat in a shipping center are pretty extremist. It's the I'm right everyone else is not only wrong but inhuman slime that can go to hell attitude.

bilbur

I think I will organize an anti rape rally next week and follow the lead of this protest. I will have a bunch of pictures of rape victims without their or their parents consent. I may also run a video of a real rape happening, that should bring people over to the anti rape side.

If you haven't figured it out I am being sarcastic but my scenario is no different than what these over the top nuts did. I applaud people for felling strongly and standing up for a cause but forcing people and their kids to see offensive imagery is wrong. When an image like this is shown on TV in the news people are given a warning so it is their choice to stay and watch or turn the channel and they are given time to shield their kids from the graphic images. How would one of the protesters feel if I showed their 6 year old a poster or video of the Easter bunny brutally murdering Santa Clause while Jesus cheered them on. The only difference is they were showing something they believed in which made it OK for them but not everyone wants their kids to see an abortion.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Not all are at all. Most I can have civilized debates with. Just ones who think it is ok to force these graphic pictures down everyone else's throat in a shipping center are pretty extremist. It's the I'm right everyone else is not only wrong but inhuman slime that can go to hell attitude.

:nono: If they thought every else was inhuman slime, then they wouldn't be pro-life! :lol:

Goldenhawk

Most I can have civilized debates with. Just ones who think it is ok to force these graphic pictures down everyone else's throat in a shipping center are pretty extremist. It's the I'm right everyone else is not only wrong but inhuman slime that can go to hell attitude.
I am absolutely certain that if you took the time to actually talk with (not at) some of these more visible anti-abortion activists, you would quickly discover that the vast majority of them are very gentle, humble, kind and patient individuals who are simply completely sold on the idea that abortion is the most vile practice imaginable, and are willing to take extreme positions to try to see it stopped.

I state this with confidence because I am close friends with a great many people who strongly oppose abortion. Neither I nor a single one of them has that attitude you describe. To the contrary, our general belief is something like "I love my neighbor enough that I hope to open his eyes to the truth and thus save him from eternal torment, even if it occasionally means shocking his sensibilities to do so." and "It is worth offending some people's minds to try to save about 1 million lives a year."

You can certainly reject that belief system, but don't confuse it with hating you or anyone else.

For the record, I think WBC is abhorrent and utterly wrong about nearly everything they do, and I explicitly exlude them from my above comments. But not these protestors last weekend.

bilbur

I am absolutely certain that if you took the time to actually talk with (not at) some of these more visible anti-abortion activists, you would quickly discover that the vast majority of them are very gentle, humble, kind and patient individuals who are simply completely sold on the idea that abortion is the most vile practice imaginable, and are willing to take extreme positions to try to see it stopped.

I state this with confidence because I am close friends with a great many people who strongly oppose abortion. Neither I nor a single one of them has that attitude you describe. To the contrary, our general belief is something like "I love my neighbor enough that I hope to open his eyes to the truth and thus save him from eternal torment, even if it occasionally means shocking his sensibilities to do so." and "It is worth offending some people's minds to try to save about 1 million lives a year."

You can certainly reject that belief system, but don't confuse it with hating you or anyone else.

For the record, I think WBC is abhorrent and utterly wrong about nearly everything they do, and I explicitly exlude them from my above comments. But not these protestors last weekend.

The problem is I view what they did no different than shouting expletive's in a public place where children are known to be. I am sure they would not want me to use offensive language around their kids so why would they show offensive imagery to other peoples unsuspecting kids? I have no respect for anyone in this group because they didn't have the common sense to realize that there images may be offensive, scary, and mentally damaging to some of the younger people passing by. This group wants us to respect the lives of children that haven’t been born yet, when they don't respect the lives and rights of the children and people that have been born. They are contradicting themselves and hurting their own cause.

Last edited:

SoMDGirl42

I don't appreciate when people shove their "beliefs" down my throat, whether I agree with them or not, and I certainly won't allow someone to do this to my daughter.

Next time I'll shove what my beliefs are down your throat and see how you like it.

pebbles

Wow.

I saw the signs and the protestors on Saturday. My reaction was totally different than the majority of you. Especially in light of the "abortion doctor" trial - the man who said chopped up babies are just meat for the stew pot. :ohwell:

I applauded the bravery of these people to bring everybody's attention to this. I applaude their bravery for believing in something so completely that they would risk harrassment from you. Standing out there, not attacking anyone, with their signs to bring you a message. It appears they received much hate and discontent from people, but they weren't spewing anything hateful back or touching cars or getting in people's faces.

Pictures speak more than words. If it disturbed you, then good, it should have. That was the purpose I'm sure.

So it made you think about your stance on abortion and talk to your kids and or SO. How is that a bad thing? If you think abortion is wonderful then you should have no problems telling your kids that. If you think abortion is a crime then you should have no problem telling your kids that. How is this any different than your kids singing along to "Blow My Whistle" or them learning sex ed in school? I think it's all inappropriate, but if one taboo subject is okay to discuss, then all taboo subjects should be discussed.

First, I am pro-life with the exception of RAPE.

I caught a glimpse of the protestors & the signs while driving down 235 Saturday. THANK GOD my 5 year old was NOT on that side of the vehicle & was in deep conversation with me. When he is of age to discuss this topic, we will. But I should NOT have to explain to him that some people think it's ok to kill an unborn child & have to TRY to answer WHY when I myself don't know WHY or HOW someone could make that choice. I do think the place of protest was inappropriate. Young children shouldn't be subjected to graphic things of that nature.

SamSpade

The problem is I view what they did no different than shouting explicative’s in a public place

I learned a new word today -

EXPLICATIVE
: serving to explicate; specifically : serving to explain logically what is contained in the subject <an explicative proposition>

although I don't know why I wouldn't want my kids to hear such language.

puggymom

I'm related to one. I refuse to talk poltics with this relative after she called my sister a goddamn communist and stormed out of the gathering at Thanksgiving dinner about 15 years ago.
Not knowing my opinions on abortion she gave me her sidewalk counseling talk when I was pregnant with my 100% planned after almost 2 years of trying to conceive. It was uncomfortable to say the least. Even her husband refers to her as Sh' ite Catholic :coffee:

Last edited:

bilbur

I learned a new word today -

EXPLICATIVE
: serving to explicate; specifically : serving to explain logically what is contained in the subject <an explicative proposition>

although I don't know why I wouldn't want my kids to hear such language.

Oops, I meant Expletive. Damn spell check changed it to the wrong word.

inkah

I don't appreciate when people shove their "beliefs" down my throat, whether I agree with them or not, and I certainly won't allow someone to do this to my daughter.

Next time I'll shove what my beliefs are down your throat and see how you like it.

Ugh. The problem that seems to continue to escape you people is this: THIS ISNT A BELIEF.

for Pete sake. Why are you insisting on this???

Reactions like this are the reason these people are out there. Because people keep turning a blind eye. Because a simple, civil conversation does not work.

How does this not make us violently ill? How do we sleep at night knowing this is happening? I am so completely flabbergasted.

inkah

I am absolutely certain that if you took the time to actually talk with (not at) some of these

I've actually done this...

I was in Dc one year during a march/rally/protest/whatever and I noticed a few people walking along quietly. No signs, not speaking, just walking slowly along. The reason the scene caught my eye was that they'd been surrounded by violently angry people.

So being the wise person I am, I decided to walk for a bit with those people and get nosey.

Turns out they were well known senior members of what was considered an extremist pro-life group.

I was shocked by their humble quiet calm peaceful demeanors. All around them people were screaming, cursing, spitting and throwing things. The so-called extremists never reacted.

I still have a hard time deciding what to do with that scene in my mind, but it has given me pause every time I hear derogatory news ever since. My suspicion is that false and misleading accusations are more the norm than we realize.

migtig

aka Mrs. Giant
Ugh. The problem that seems to continue to escape you people is this: THIS ISNT A BELIEF.

Reactions like this are the reason these people are out there. Because people keep turning a blind eye. Because a simple, civil conversation does not work.

How does this not make us violently ill? How do we sleep at night knowing this is happening? I am so completely flabbergasted.

Because their emotion is in the way and they don't have logic to reason with.

About half the population is ruled by their emotions anyway. Factor in something that receives such a heavily loaded "emotional" reaction, and the overwhelming emotion tends to make some people act like their monkey ancestors and there no longer is any room for any actual thought process.

In this thread, you can look at the name calling and the non-responses to presented facts and logic as a clue that someone is overwhelmed with their emotions. :shrug:

bilbur

This is a belief. The religious fanatics say that life starts at conception. I disagree and say that life doesn't start until there is a heartbeat which is around week 5 I think. Some people may not consider it life until a point after that even. This is why this is a belief, if it were up to most of the hard core protestors they would even outlaw the morning after pill and all other forms of contraception. Where would we be then? We would be so over populated that the country would go broke unless the religious can make that whole abstinence thing sound cool.