First Day of School

SamSpade

And what a cluster f it is - not one of my kids can get in. The smartest thing they all did? Reset everyone's passwords from last spring - and didn't tell us - and disabled the ability to RESET them. An hour into school and not one of my kids can get into the three DIFFERENT schools they go to.

Natron0915

And what a cluster f it is - not one of my kids can get in. The smartest thing they all did? Reset everyone's passwords from last spring - and didn't tell us - and disabled the ability to RESET them. An hour into school and not one of my kids can get into the three DIFFERENT schools they go to.

We're two for three. Three different schools, all SMCPS, Leonardtown School District.

Would have been nice if they explained what Synchronized and UnSynchronized learning was and how the schedule was gonna work a little ahead of time.

Been one hell of a frustrating morning.

This was my morning as well. What a f*ing mess.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
I wondered what you guys were going to bitch about since there wouldn't be any busses to complain about impeding your distracted driving.

It appears that most school systems did the "Reset the Password" rag staring last Thursday, not just St. Mary's and it's been a cluster **** all around.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
So what do the kids do if they can't get into their online learning thing? Go back to bed?

SamSpade

So what do the kids do if they can't get into their online learning thing? Go back to bed?

I can't begin to tell you how stupid this has been - sometime over the summer, they reset everyone's passwords for their accounts - but if you try to get in, they've disabled the abiilty to RESET the passwords UNLESS you reset them months ago - and there's NO IT support. 90 minutes into school and two of my kids aren't "in".

At this point, one of my kids is still not IN at all, and they all go back in at 2pm. What a joke this is.

UglyBear

A lot of parents who saw what a CF it was last year, and predicting more of the same, are pulling kids out.
CalvCo sent explicit message that even if Hogan allows it, they are not opening.
Honestly, if they are trying to “save face” and not open in person because they are unprepared, how much worse than this CF could it be?
Just say “hey, we will open now, but we need two weeks to figure it out, so hang in there” — we would understand and cheer them on.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I have another question:

What do parents do when they have to go to work but the kids are doing online school? Do they hire daycare? And will the state pay for it since it's Hogan's fault?

UglyBear

I wondered what you guys were going to bitch about since there wouldn't be any busses to complain about impeding your distracted driving.

It appears that most school systems did the "Reset the Password" rag staring last Thursday, not just St. Mary's and it's been a cluster **** all around.
You are just sitting back and enjoying not being part of the circus now, eh?
(BTW, just wanted to pay my respects — you brought me here from cityData).

SamSpade

I have another question:

What do parents do when they have to go to work but the kids are doing online school? Do they hire daycare? And will the state pay for it since it's Hogan's fault?
Since I am working from HOME - I am hoping no one notices. But it profoundly pisses me off that school acts as though none of us work, scheduling meet and greets during the day.

UglyBear

Since I am working from HOME - I am hoping no one notices. But it profoundly pisses me off thschool acts as though none of us work, scheduling meet and greets during the day.
Sam, what’s your opinion as a parent:
Do the schools have the right to demand all they are demanding of us, while not providing in-person instruction? I mean perfect attendance (kids sitting in their home in front of laptop is not attendance!) , the right to record videos of students (recording my home, none of their business!!!), etc?

This seems equivalent to police demanding search without a warrant — illegal, you don’t have to let them, but they are hoping to bully weak and uninformed into compliance.

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
We received an email from the principal on the 16th of August regarding password changes and how to do them. We had to buy a new laptop for my 6th grader and we set everything up between Saturday afternoon and Sunday morning.

SamSpade

Sam, what’s your opinion as a parent:
Do the schools have the right to demand all they are demanding of us, while not providing in-person instruction? I mean perfect attendance (kids sitting in their home in front of laptop is not attendance!) , the right to record videos of students (recording my home, none of their business!!!), etc?

This seems equivalent to police demanding search without a warrant — illegal, you don’t have to let them, but they are hoping to bully weak and uninformed into compliance.
I don't give a crap what they "demand" of parents - what pisses me off is what they EXPECT of parents but DON'T expect of TEACHERS - and that's involvement every step of the way. If I am expected to participate every step of my son's involvement - they should too and their IT should entitle them to work with them. If they're going to restrict their interaction, they have to either be more involved or bequest more privileges down the line.

General Lee

I don't give a crap what they "demand" of parents - what pisses me off is what they EXPECT of parents but DON'T expect of TEACHERS - and that's involvement every step of the way. If I am expected to participate every step of my son's involvement - they should too and their IT should entitle them to work with them. If they're going to restrict their interaction, they have to either be more involved or bequest more privileges down the line.
Send your frustrations and complaints to the BOE.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Calvert Co doesn't start until Wednesday but they keep sending out messages that a lot of students still haven't even picked up their laptops yet. I am nervous how things will go with my youngest since I won't be home on Wednesday and he will be left on his own if he has problems getting into his classes.

UglyBear

I can assure you the teachers aren't enjoying this cluster eff either. BOE created this mess they had months to plan and now this !!
This is one of those reminders that all elections are local, and that your vote counts:
I listened to the CalvCo BOE meeting several weeks ago. 85% of polled parents wanted to re-open.
BOE was going to reopen. Then one member shut it all down. She was condescending, aggressive, and mean. She brow-beat all the others into reversing. Not like others had no power , it just sounded like they were gutless cowards and let her. So, if your kid is stuck at home dealing with this CF, you have one person to blame. Remember that at the voting booth next time.

NorthBeachPerso

Honorary SMIB
You are just sitting back and enjoying not being part of the circus now, eh?
(BTW, just wanted to pay my respects — you brought me here from cityData).
Well, yes and no.

The circus is going on in the spare bedroom, which I spent the last two weeks in preparing as an online classroom and which isn't yet finished. I still need to upgrade the lights.

So far today there has been one power cord meltdown (a known problem with Macs), a SchoolMax crash and a parent who refuses to give her real name when requesting her kid's password. I am so glad I retired. My task now is keeping more retirement papers from being dropped. I'm holding out a new car purchase as an incentive to delay that.

However, I am ensconced downstairs and thankful that Dove season and early goose starts tomorrow with squirrel beginning in a couple weeks. Once the weather breaks I have enough outside stuff, mostly painting (including touching up goose decoys) to keep me out of the line of fire for a few weeks. I also have some stuff at my oldest daughter's house to help her and her husband with so I'm set for awhile. November may be tough, I may have to get a bow and start archery hunting for deer, something I haven't done for decades.

Even being trained/certified as an online instructor I can't imagine having to do this.