First Hockey Game

crabcake

But wait, there's more...
I'm going to my first hockey game next week ... something I've been wanting to check out in person for a while. Is there a "hockey for dummies" online somewhere that explains the basic rules of the game? I know the objective is to get the puck in the other team's goal, but I don't want to asking questions all night like a complete goober. :blushing:

Kerad

If you're going with a hockey fan, they'll be just fine explaining the game to you as it goes on.

I've converted MANY non-hockey fans. Once you see an NHL game (with someone who knows the NHL)...you're hooked for life!

Have fun...I know you will!

:yay:

crabcake

He's definately into it, but I was picturing it being kinda like racing where you probably wouldn't be able to hear much. :ohwell:

Thanks! I think I will like it. It's a contact sport with lots of fights so I'm sure I'll love it! :biggrin: :getdown:

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
I'm going to my first hockey game next week ... something I've been wanting to check out in person for a while. Is there a "hockey for dummies" online somewhere that explains the basic rules of the game? I know the objective is to get the puck in the other team's goal, but I don't want to asking questions all night like a complete goober. :blushing:
You only have to know how to stand on your chair and scream, "BEAT HIS ASS!" :thewave:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
I love going to hockey games. The atmosphere is awesome, it's like there's a charge in the air or something.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
K_Jo said:
You only have to know how to stand on your chair and scream, "BEAT HIS ASS!" :thewave:
:yeahthat: And how to say "I'm out of beer" in just the right tone that makes the person you're with go get you one. I can teach you if necessary. :biggrin:

crabcake

Nickel said:
:yeahthat: And how to say "I'm out of beer" in just the right tone that makes the person you're with go get you one. I can teach you if necessary. :biggrin:
:lmao: :lmao: Thanks, but considering it's on a Monday night (work the next day), I doubt I'll be slammin' the suds. Maybe when it's a weekend game, I'll hit ya up for the drill. :biggrin:

So, rules ... besides KJo's fluent guidance ... anyone? :shrug: I don't need a rule book ... just some game basics. I haven't watched a hockey game in 2 or 3 years, and even then it was only a couple times so I didn't get the gist of it. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Hockey is much more entertaining live than it is on TV.

It would take more than you'd be willing to stay awake for to explain the game better than "they try to get the puck in the net".

Something fun to yell when one guy intentionally slams another one, then skates off:

FINISH YOUR CHECKS OR TAKE YOUR DRESS OFF!!

K_Jo

Pea Brain
PREMO Member
crabcake said:
:lmao: :lmao: Thanks, but considering it's on a Monday night (work the next day), I doubt I'll be slammin' the suds. Maybe when it's a weekend game, I'll hit ya up for the drill. :biggrin:

So, rules ... besides KJo's fluent guidance ... anyone? :shrug: I don't need a rule book ... just some game basics. I haven't watched a hockey game in 2 or 3 years, and even then it was only a couple times so I didn't get the gist of it. :ohwell:
If you just learn what "icing" is, your hockey friend will be ultra-impressed. :yay:

Kerad

crabcake said:

http://carolinahurricanes.com/hockeyu/rules.asp

I know this is from a rival's team site...but it IS good for newbies.

It IS stillkinda technical, though. Just an FYI thing....

crabcake

K_Jo said:
If you just learn what "icing" is, your hockey friend will be ultra-impressed. :yay:
I've heard that term before. :tap: :confused: But I'm not trying to impress him. :diva: I mentioned something about wanting to go, and he gets tix from his company, so it's not a big deal. :yay:

I'm checking out the NHL site but it seems geared more toward playing vs. 'informative'. :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
K_Jo said:
If you just learn what "icing" is, your hockey friend will be ultra-impressed.
Don't yell "Icing". Every nagin in that place will be screaming "Icing" over things that aren't even close to icing just because they think it sounds cool and they don't know any better.

A hockey joke:

Why did they call the lepers' hockey game?

Because there was a face off in the corner.

Kerad

crabcake said:
I now love you more than my favoritest pair of shoes! :love: :smoochy: If I get pucked, I'll be sure to share the news with you, first! :yay:

Also awesome! :yay: Thanks much. That's our home team and who I'm going to see so it's not a rival for me! :getdown:

you going to the Canes game at the MCI on Saturday???

I am! Go Canes!

crabcake

Kerad said:
Ahh..the good ol' RBC.

Been there for many 'Canes games. you'll love it!
Yep. I'm sure I will. :yay:

Thanks for the links; I'll peruse them in the a.m. over coffee, when my brain is the spongey-est. :biggrin:

Nighty night! :howdy: