First kayak of the year, for us anyway.

glhs837

Power with Control
Just an hour or so, on Harpers Creek with a small sojourn out onto the bay/river and back in. 18yos first time out, he did great. Coming back in, met a family of four coming out, they had a small dog riding in one of their yaks. All shorty rec boats like ours.

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I'm going to try kayaking this year. How much are they?

I got a Heritage from that little shop down in Solomons, Patuxent Sports or whatever for around $700, nice little set-up for fishing or just casual dickin around out there.

It really is pretty fun and a decent workout too. I like being able to go up in the less accessible parts of the creeks and checking out the little knooks and crannies.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
I got a Heritage from that little shop down in Solomons, Patuxent Sports or whatever for around $700, nice little set-up for fishing or just casual dickin around out there.

It really is pretty fun and a decent workout too. I like being able to go up in the less accessible parts of the creeks and checking out the little knooks and crannies.
I've never been in one. So they have room to stow fishing gear, drinks?

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
I've never been in one. So they have room to stow fishing gear, drinks?

I have three rod holders on mine, a drink holder and the bungees can be used to tie down a soft cooler, I have a soft cooler that holds like an 18 pack plus ice and it works. Also there is front and rear storage hatch that is on the bow and the aft of the kayak that you can throw other gear in. I found out though, the first time I went, not to just drop ice in there with your beer, being in the part of the Kayak that is submerged leads to quick ice meltage and warm beer for the majority of the trip.

glhs837

Power with Control
There are cheaper ways to get into it, one option being to rent, another one is to get an inexpensive one like ours to play with, see if you like it. No cupholders or rod holders, although you can ad ones later.

Cost was $260 each, they are Perception Swifty 9.5s. Small and light (30lbs) enough to sling on a shoulder and carry a short distance to the water. Very stable, wide cockpit. Not suitable for the ocean, or big rivers, but great for flatwater,or mild rivers. Paddles are Seasense from K-mart, for $20 each they work fine, breakdown in half for storage. PFDs were $30 each. Not kayak specific, but work just fine.

Like buying a 250cc as your first motorcycle, buying a small kayak to start may backfire, and you want to go bigger pretty fast. Had ours a bout a year now, and I'll be okay for the rest of the summer, maybe get a larger one next year.

As far as rentals, I found theres a place up in DC, Jacks Boathouse, looks like a great way to try it. they are right below the Key Bridge. I plan on doing the "launch your own for $5.00" deal so we can kayak around the Capitol.

Urban Kayaking: Washington, D.C. | Away.com

This way to the new Site!

AK-74me

"Typical White Person"
FeatherLite Angler 12

Here is what I bought, I got a few add ons and it is perfect for what I want to do. I tried a friends Necky touring kayak out before I bought this and was not impressed, it was nice don't get me wrong and it had a rutter which was cool but it was cramped and not built for fishing nor drinking.

glhs837

Power with Control
Yep, again, like bikes, yaks have a designed purpose, and one built for one thing most likely wont be happy doing something else. Hope the weathers nice on Wed, might try for a quick afternoon jaunt, maybe around Solomons.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
FeatherLite Angler 12

Here is what I bought, I got a few add ons and it is perfect for what I want to do. I tried a friends Necky touring kayak out before I bought this and was not impressed, it was nice don't get me wrong and it had a rutter which was cool but it was cramped and not built for fishing nor drinking.
That looks cool. I like the angler 14 too but at 59 lbs.....

What do they run $ if you don't mind me asking?

T

toppick08

You ever get a charlie-horse in one of them....you will get wet...:lol:...trust me.

Baja28

Obama destroyed America
FeatherLite Angler 12

I'm liking this Featherlite 12. Not too heavy, large capacity and plenty of room.