First time going to Myrtle Grove. Few ?'s

G

Gtmustang88

I am looking to go to myrtle grove to do some target practice. I have never been there, so what do I need to bring with me? I am going to get the permit online and was going to bring my own guns, ammo, and targets. What else do I need to bring? When are the best times to go, since I know the space is probably limited? Thanks

SPF001

I haven't been in about 10 years so my info is dated. I would include in your shooting bag some string and tape to get your targets off the ground. During the week is the best. I haven't tried on a weekend because everyone is there shooting.

Good luck

SoMdmMusician

Well Saturday and Sundays are tough, all the military yahoos and young bucks like to come down there with an arsenal of modified home built tactical guns that most of them should not be behind in the first place, just too many inexperienced young fellows who just got their new Glock 9 (cause it's cool to say you got one I guess) and they just ring off rounds like they stole the bullets.

Go during the week, it's a breeze. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THAT PERMIT OR THEY WILL BUST YOU WITH A $125.00 FINE... yes I am yelling to save you some money.

Make sure you get there 45 minutes to and hour before the range opens, take a jug of coffee and the newspaper and set it out, if you get there at 20 minutes before it opens, just go back home. Most of the guys down there come with 4-6 guns and they plan to be there awhile, most of them are from DC, so, they come down to show off there guns, there are there for no other purpose.

Overall opinion, buy a club membership and get in with some guys who are safe, experienced shooters, and have some brains in there skulls.

This is the reason I have been trying to find someone who shoots in their backyard, I prefer a more controlled environment where I don't spend all my time looking to see where the other knothead is pointing his barrel.

My wife and I go down there sometimes and we bang it out for an hour and then get the hell out of there, after the first hour, the egos and the confidence starts to climb in those guys and they start getting careless and sloppy, so, you gotta know when to leave.

Thanks,
An Indian Head Resident

PS: if there's a guy down there from Myrtle Grove staff named Dan Eversberg, put your best pair of earmuffs on and wait for him to leave, I guess he has to make everyone know that he knows it all with the range rules, and for the love of shooting, do not shoot his pretty little target stands up, it just pisses him off.

I am looking to go to myrtle grove to do some target practice. I have never been there, so what do I need to bring with me? I am going to get the permit online and was going to bring my own guns, ammo, and targets. What else do I need to bring? When are the best times to go, since I know the space is probably limited? Thanks

Last edited by a moderator:

corollinout

I went there on my birthday since I had a Saturday off for the first time this year in November. It wasn't bad. I was only there to sight in my .22 for squirrel hunting so I didn't have very many guns. I got there around 2 and left around 4:30 and there was no waiting until around 4. If it gets backed up there is an hour time limit on the range. Take a staple gun, tape, or a big clip to hold your targets. The target stand I used had the netting blown to bits.

G

Gtmustang88

Thanks for the info. I also live in Indian head.
I will try to go during the week

Well Saturday and Sundays are tough, all the military yahoos and young bucks like to come down there with an arsenal of modified home built tactical guns that most of them should not be behind in the first place, just too many inexperienced young fellows who just got their new Glock 9 (cause it's cool to say you got one I guess) and they just ring off rounds like they stole th bullets.

Go during the week, it's a breeze. MAKE SURE YOU HAVE THAT PERMIT OR THEY WILL BUST YOU WITH A $125.00 FINE... yes I am yelling to save you some money.

Make sure you get there 45 minutes to and hour before the range opens, take a jug of coffee and the newspaper and set it out, if you get there at 20 minutes before it opens, just go back home. Most of the guys down there come with 4-6 guns and they plan to be there awhile, most of them are from DC, so, they come down to show off there guns, there are there for no other purpose.

Overall opinion, buy a club membership and get in with some guys who are safe, experienced shooters, and have some brains in there skulls.

This is the reason I have been trying to find someone who shoots in their backyard, I prefer a more controlled environment where I don't spend all my time looking to see where the other knothead is pointing his barrel.

My wife and I go down there sometimes and we bang it out for an hour and then get the hell out of there, after the first hour, the egos and the confidence starts to climb in those guys and they start getting careless and sloppy, so, you gotta know when to leave.

Thanks,
An Indian Head Resident

PS: if there's a guy down there from Myrtle Grove staff named Dan Eversberg, put your best pair of earmuffs on and wait for him to leave, I guess he has to make everyone know that he knows it all with the range rules, and for the love of shooting, do not shoot his pretty little target stands up, it just pisses him off.

dgates80

Land of the lost
Went there today. Nice place, fairly busy but not too surprising given the nice day and a Saturday during a time when a lot of people are off work. Lots of Christmas presents being tried out!

wch

Went there today. Nice place, fairly busy but not too surprising given the nice day and a Saturday during a time when a lot of people are off work. Lots of Christmas presents being tried out!

Not surprising at all. I was hunting not far away and heard quite a few shots from the range, along with quite a few shots from duck hunters ( Game warden checking out a few in the swampy area by the railroad tracks) and of course saw quite a few hunters wandering around the power lines. Saw a lot of deer along with a lot of turkeys.

Novus Collectus

I was there too. I was the one in the MDShooter's tshirt and with the Mosin Nagant and the SKS.

G

Gtmustang88

Well I went there yesterday afternoon. Had a good time, was only one other person there and then they left and I had the range to myself for awhile. Went through about 400 rounds, lol.