Fishing for today.

Columbia river. Son and Grandkids. Today.

Attachments

• 1.jpg
    1.jpg
    65 KB · Views: 142
  • 2.jpg
    2.jpg
    60.1 KB · Views: 141
  • 3.jpg
    3.jpg
    62.1 KB · Views: 135
  • 4.jpg
    4.jpg
    69 KB · Views: 163

RPMDAD

Wow, have never seen one before, have heard they actually still have them in the Potomac river, have heard they can grow up to 5 - 6 feet in length. very cool,.

Wow, have never seen one before, have heard they actually still have them in the Potomac river, have heard they can grow up to 5 - 6 feet in length. very cool,.

I guess they do. They both caught another later. These were between 3 and 4 feet. Small ones.

acommondisaster

Wisconsin's a big sturgeon fishing area - I think they even have a spear fishing season for the big sturgeon (near 100lbs). It's not all catch and release.

Wisconsin's a big sturgeon fishing area - I think they even have a spear fishing season for the big sturgeon (near 100lbs). It's not all catch and release.

They turn it off and on again in OR. Give the little ones time to get big and I guess they grow pretty slow. I think the last time you could keep one was about 10 years ago. Son has a pic of one that stretched from one end of the tailgate to the other. So 5' I guess. Had it smked by a guy that does that and vacuum wraps chunks. Man that was tasty.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
What kind of bait do you use for those? I know in Montana they allow snagging for paddlefish. That doesn't sound very sporting.

acommondisaster

What kind of bait do you use for those? I know in Montana they allow snagging for paddlefish. That doesn't sound very sporting.

Worms. If I remember correctly, one of the best baits is just a big lump of worms. Though I know in WI there's a spear season for the big ones, so I don't there's bait involved with that. The spears they use are huge.

Son uses smelt. Here in CO they allow snagging Kokanee salmon that are stocked in some reservoirs. Snagging season is during the run.

Last edited:

mamatutu

mama to two
Neat article.

That was a neat article. The something new I learned today. Sturgeons are pretty amazing fish. Looks like you were having a great time with your grandsons. I know you are extremely happy about your move.

Last edited:
That was a neat article. The something new I learned today. Sturgeons are pretty amazing fish. Looks like you were having a great time with your grandsons. I know you are extremely happy about your move.

That was not me. I was out there a few weeks ago though and had a great time with them. One a boy 10 and one a girl 8.