Fishing Rod and Reel Case/Tube

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Oldest has really taken a liking to fishing. Goes down to Driftwood Beach, Seahorse Beach, and Lake Lariot to fish with friends. Since it's almost time for me to start my Christmas shopping :starcat:, I am looking for ideas to foster his newfound love. Found a backpack type bag for all his gear that says it can hold a "rod tube". I've done some searching but not sure if what I'm seeing is really what my son needs. Pretty sure he'll need to keep the reel attached to the rod. Any recommendations on what to buy??? TIA

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces

Chris0nllyn

Have you thought about a kayak or small jon boat (if allowed on the lakes)?

You can get either one for a few hundred on Craigslist. Depending on how close you live to the lakes, a kayak may be a better option simply because they are lighter and with a kayak dolly (you can make one out of PVC for cheap, or buy one for about $50) it's easy to move.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Have you thought about a kayak or small jon boat (if allowed on the lakes)?

You can get either one for a few hundred on Craigslist. Depending on how close you live to the lakes, a kayak may be a better option simply because they are lighter and with a kayak dolly (you can make one out of PVC for cheap, or buy one for about $50) it's easy to move.

Actually the idea of a kayak has been mentioned. He went yesterday with friends . They rent them at Lake Lariot to use.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I have a modest amount of expertise in this area.

So not knowing what Jr. already has, here's a few recommendations.

Nail clippers on a lanyard. Great for clipping lines and having it hang around your neck saves time trying to dig it out of your pocket or tackle box.
Hemostats. I prefer the offset ones. They make removing a hook from a fish a breeze. The offset ones make it easier to see what you are doing.
Needle nose pliers. Same use as hemostats but for larger size hooks.
Fishing vest. They have lots of pockets to carry stuff. A must for fly fishing. It allows you to fish and move without having to haul by hand a bunch of boxes.
Lures. A handful of mepps spinners can make for a productive day on the water. Many different species of fish will attack a spinner. Silver and gold are good color choices. #2 & #3s are the right size for Maryland fishing.
Polarized sun glasses. First they are for safety to prevent getting a hook in the eye. They also let you see below the water surface.

If you think he'd like to fly fish then there are fly fishing starter kits that include the pole, reel and line all together. If you have deep pockets you could get him a charter or guided fishing excursion.

Other useful items include a landing net, filet knife, hook sharpener or some other fishing gadget. You could ask the people he fishes with if he's mentioned any gear he'd like to have.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I have a modest amount of expertise in this area.

So not knowing what Jr. already has, here's a few recommendations.

Nail clippers on a lanyard. Great for clipping lines and having it hang around your neck saves time trying to dig it out of your pocket or tackle box.
Hemostats. I prefer the offset ones. They make removing a hook from a fish a breeze. The offset ones make it easier to see what you are doing.
Needle nose pliers. Same use as hemostats but for larger size hooks.
Fishing vest. They have lots of pockets to carry stuff. A must for fly fishing. It allows you to fish and move without having to haul by hand a bunch of boxes.
Lures. A handful of mepps spinners can make for a productive day on the water. Many different species of fish will attack a spinner. Silver and gold are good color choices. #2 & #3s are the right size for Maryland fishing.
Polarized sun glasses. First they are for safety to prevent getting a hook in the eye. They also let you see below the water surface.

If you think he'd like to fly fish then there are fly fishing starter kits that include the pole, reel and line all together. If you have deep pockets you could get him a charter or guided fishing excursion.

Other useful items include a landing net, filet knife, hook sharpener or some other fishing gadget. You could ask the people he fishes with if he's mentioned any gear he'd like to have.

Thanks for all the ideas. Would this be too much? https://www.amazon.com/Leatherman-8...ocale=US&overwrite=1&redirect=true&ref_=as_at

We don't eat fish so the filet knife is not needed. I don't think he even touches the fish. Usually puts a large rock on it to remove the hook and then kicks it back into the water. :lol: I will look into some lures. He says he always needs those. He's not into fly fishing.

lovinmaryland

Can you have the reel attached with that? I was looking at this http://www.cabelas.com/catalog/prod...tAds&rid=20&gclsrc=aw.ds&WT.z_mc_id1=03283221 because it looks like it has ample space for the reels to stay on the rod. I *think* he knows how to reattach reels but probably doesn't want the hassle.

You can but we don't... we've got something like 60+ rods all different lengths, weights, etc... so we have a separate bag/suitcase that we keep all of the reels in...but If he's just a got a few I think it would be fine.

Also lure boxes and a traveling case would be a good idea. We do a lot of different type fishing...ocean, fresh water, bass, :blahblah: so we have boxes & bags for each type of lure...frogs, spin baits, swim baits, plastic worms, crank baits, :blahblah: can you tell I have a 5 guys that fish in my house :lmao:

lovinmaryland

BTW its gonna be an expensive hobby Rarebreed! One of my sons just bought a rod that was $500...that's just the rod...no reel...just the rod itself :faint: :nomoney:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
BTW its gonna be an expensive hobby Rarebreed! One of my sons just bought a rod that was $500...that's just the rod...no reel...just the rod itself :faint: :nomoney:

Eh... we will see. I think he's only gotten into it because his best friend is big into fishing (like your family). Same reason why my normally sporty son opted to start wearing khakis and boat shoes last year instead of his soccer shirts and sneakers.

lovinmaryland

Eh... we will see. I think he's only gotten into it because his best friend is big into fishing (like your family). Same reason why my normally sporty son opted to start wearing khakis and boat shoes last year instead of his soccer shirts and sneakers.

That's all it takes! :lol: He'll be hooked now! It definitely keeps my guys busy :smile: I can think of worse things to be addicted too!

Attachments

• IMG_8247.jpg
    IMG_8247.jpg
    80.1 KB · Views: 212
  • IMG_1943.jpg
    IMG_1943.jpg
    136.8 KB · Views: 262
  • IMG_3135.jpg
    IMG_3135.jpg
    84.7 KB · Views: 269

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
That's all it takes! :lol: He'll be hooked now! It definitely keeps my guys busy :smile: I can think of worse things to be addicted too!

Oh, I agree. Happy he found something else to take up his time than just soccer. Now if only I could get the youngest into something. He's not very sporty despite playing soccer from ages 4-11. Prefers computer time over outside time. :ohwell: Plus having a hobby allows me the opportunity to find gifts for birthday and Christmas. Last year, I was struggling to find things for the youngest while the list was pretty long for the oldest.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Any online sites that anyone recommends that offer gift cards. That way my son can pick and pay for whatever he wants when he wants/needs it. Other than Dick's, Bass Pro Shop and Cabela's.