FLASH: Police: Man held over missing teen in Aruba says ‘something bad happened.’

AndyMarquisLIVE

FLASH: Police: Man held over missing teen in Aruba says ‘something bad happened.’

One of three young men who took a missing Alabama honors student to the beach confessed that "something bad" happened to the 18-year-old American, police say.

Deputy Police Commissioner Gerold Dompig told The Associated Press that one of the men admitted "something bad has happened he confessed" and was leading police late Friday night to the scene.

Natalee Holloway went to an Aruban beach and engaged in passionate kissing with a Dutch teen in a car the night she disappeared, according to testimony from two of the boy’s friends.

All three young men were arrested Thursday and were to appear before a judge on Saturday, government spokesman Ruben Trapenberg said. Authorities have refused to say on what grounds they were being held.

Last edited by a moderator:

Triggerfish

This really saddens me......I have a little girl and just thinking about something like that happening to her in the future makes me sick to my stomach.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Triggerfish said:
This really saddens me......I have a little girl and just thinking about something like that happening to her in the future makes me sick to my stomach.
:yeahthat: Between that and the busdrivers/day care workers leaving kids in vehicles to die makes me want to stay with my little one 24/7. :sad:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
There's something wrong with this:

http://www.cnn.com/2005/LAW/06/10/missing.teen/index.html

One of three young suspects arrested Thursday in the investigation into the disappearance of an Alabama teenager has confessed to her killing, a senior police official said late Friday.
He [Aruba Prime Minister Nelson Oduber] said as of early Saturday there was no hunt for any body or remains.
None of the five men have been formally charged.

Okay, so one of the kids say he killed her, yet they aren't out looking for her body, and haven't charged him in her murder? :confused:

Remind me never to go to Aruba.

From the pieces of the puzzle I'm seeing... looks like the confesser is the one that is the son of a high ranking official... :ohwell:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
From the pieces of the puzzle I'm seeing... looks like the confesser is the one that is the son of a high ranking official... :ohwell:
It's gotta be him, especially after this:
"He was willing to help with anything, and he had a kind of quiet resolve -- I mean he said, 'Mom, don't be upset because everything will be fine. I know I am innocent, I didn't do anything,'" Anita Van Der Sloot told CNN.

"And in a very almost naive way he was very open with us, told us everything what happened," she said, adding that he has offered to speak with the Holloway family.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Another missing-person media frenzy where the person is young, female and attractive. This columnist is indignant over the fact that the media focuses on missing females who are white and middle-class. I don't think it's racism, I think it's pure lust. The male journalists covering these stories apparently themselves as the knights in shining armor. They're thinking with their Petersons.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Tonio said:
Another missing-person media frenzy where the person is young, female and attractive. This columnist is indignant over the fact that the media focuses on missing females who are white and middle-class. I don't think it's racism, I think it's pure lust. The male journalists covering these stories apparently themselves as the knights in shining armor. They're thinking with their Petersons.
So she doesn't matter? They sure grabbed the story and ran with it when thay scraggly looking Runaway Bride was "missing". Sure, some stories have more shock value than others, and that's why they get coverage, but don't invalidate her disappearance. If that were your daughter, you might think differently.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Tonio said:
the media focuses on missing females who are white and middle-class.
That's because most of us are white and middle class, so we can relate and get all excited about it. Be honest - how many of us care when a poor black woman gets killed? Not many because we can't see ourselves in her. So it's kind of racism, but not really. The people that push the news know what we identify with and what we'll react to, and they give it to us.

Tonio

Asperger's Poster Child
Nickel said:
So she doesn't matter? They sure grabbed the story and ran with it when thay scraggly looking Runaway Bride was "missing". Sure, some stories have more shock value than others, and that's why they get coverage, but don't invalidate her disappearance. If that were your daughter, you might think differently.
It's not my intention to invalidate her disappearance. I'm saying that the MEDIA is invalidating her disappearance by focusing only on attractive females. I think the media's approach does a disservice to all missing persons, even the ones that get this much attention.

vraiblonde said:
The people that push the news know what we identify with and what we'll react to, and they give it to us.
Excellent point, and I think that is part of the media's motivation.

Triggerfish said:
It's supposed to be very safe. Not like Jamaica and the Dominican Republic where murder, rape, and pirates seem to run amok.
No place is safe for those who chose to make risky decisions such as she did. :ohwell: