Flat Iron Farm

foodforthought

Went there over the weekend, lights pretty as usual, but something stuck out to me this year......In my opinion the horses looked terrible, skinny and needing to be brushed, none wanted any interaction with the people coming up to them :( The barns of the the animals smelled horrible, I know animals stink but it was rank! The stalls all needed to be cleaned, piles of poo all over, the cows has poo smeared all on the sides of their stalls! I just doesn't seem as if they are as well taken care of as they used to be :(
Any else notice this?

DoWhat

Deplorable
PREMO Member
Went there over the weekend, lights pretty as usual, but something stuck out to me this year......In my opinion the horses looked terrible, skinny and needing to be brushed, none wanted any interaction with the people coming up to them :( The barns of the the animals smelled horrible, I know animals stink but it was rank! The stalls all needed to be cleaned, piles of poo all over, the cows has poo smeared all on the sides of their stalls! I just doesn't seem as if they are as well taken care of as they used to be :(
Any else notice this?

Volunteer to help.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I was up there earlier this week and the horses looked and smelled fine to me. :shrug:

ebs

Most horses don't appreciate random people coming up to their stalls and sticking fingers (and worse) in. This doesn't address your comments on the smell, cleanliness, etc., but I cannot blame those horses for not wanting to "interact." They mostly live outside there until there is some big event at the farm, and then they all have to come in and stand in their stalls while ignorant people hassle them. I don't think I would like a parade of people coming by my house every night to do that to me.

mitzi

Any else notice this?

How much is a horse supposed to interact?

wineo

loving life
went last week and all was clean. Horses even came up to the door, stalls looked clean and no odor that wasn't normal...

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Their stable up there is kickin'! Hell, *I'd* live in that stable. :lol:

Those horses all belong to other people, don't they, and just board at Flat Iron?

Last edited:

belvak

Happy Camper
Just an observation, but it's much warmer right now than it usually is, and the animals have to stay in the stable, so I would expect there to be a bit more odor than if it were only 30 degrees out and they were in the field. Maybe not, but it seems logical to me. Especially since other folks say they didn't notice anything.

We were there over the weekend and I saw one horse with ribs showing. But when my mother mentioned it out loud, the lady in front of us said that it was probably because he/she was an older horse. The rest of the animals looked completely healthy to me. Also, I did not see nasty or dirty stalls. In fact, several of them were being cleaned as we passed through.