Flat Irons - whats the best?

Wilona

Hi Ladies, I am looking for a flat iron. Does anyone use one, or can recommend a good one? I had bought a conair one, but did not like it. I have seen several different kinds in Target, with cheap prices, all the way up to over $100 dollars, (that was for Chi brand). I have shoulder length hair that is very thick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank's!

CRoyal

Infinite Impetus
Thank's. I had heard that Chi were good, but is ceramic or the tourmaline better? Also, what width is good?

Thank's.

If you have nat curly hair and you're trying to straighten and do so often, go for ceramic. For just wavy hair and once in a while it's not so important. ALWAYS use a leave in or protectant when straightening.. super hard on the tresses

Width depends on how much hair you have and how thick it is.

I have thick nat curly hair so mine is one of the wider ones. .
'Hot Tools' makes a decent straightener for less than Chi, if you're worried about price

nomoney

mines ceramic i have no clue about the tourmaline . I believe all chi has is a 1" (which mine is) although this year I think I heard they came out with a different size. ( I could be wrong though). I wasn't so sure about it at first because it was just the 1", but I love it now. I use it for everything, the normal straightening and i even use it as my curling iron.

bcp

In My Opinion
I would suggest that you probably look fine just the way God created you and that the money could be better used on other things.

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
Hi Ladies, I am looking for a flat iron. Does anyone use one, or can recommend a good one? I had bought a conair one, but did not like it. I have seen several different kinds in Target, with cheap prices, all the way up to over $100 dollars, (that was for Chi brand). I have shoulder length hair that is very thick. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thank's!

I bought a ceramic one at Hair Cuttery for about $50.00 and it works great. I have thick curly hair and can straighten it 2 times a week and it stays great. They have some nice redkin(sp) products that are for straightening that work really good also. I have a co-worker that got sucked in at the mall and bought a straightener for $250 and it doesn't do any better than mine.

gingerbreadgurl

I have very curly hair. Everytime I attempted to straighten it, it turned out dry and Diana Ross'ish. I bought a Paul Mitchell SMOOTHING Iron, and its the best thing ever! I have never had smoother, STRAIGHTER, shiny hair. It works great with their "super skinny serum". Actually, I have recommended the serum to all my friends and they love it. That may be a big part of the solution too, I know none of them have the same iron as me. Ive had Sedu, Solara, CHI, Hot Tools (which happend to melt one day when I turned it on and fell apart and burned a hole in my carpet). Yeah, Ive started rambling, anyway I recommend the Paul Mitchell.

Mrgaritavill

Hail to the Redskins!
Chi is the best! Probably the best purchase i've ever made. I used to use the cheap Hot Tools flat irons and never realized until after I started using my Chi how badly it destroyed my hair.

My stylist swears by Chi. She has been using the same one, many times a day, for over 5 years in her salon and its still going strong. Chi's may be expensive but they really are a good investment since you will probably never have to buy another flat iron again.

If you decide to go for ceramic but not a Chi, be careful. Most "ceramic" flat irons only have a ceramic coating over metal and definitely do not work as well and are much worse for your hair than a completely ceramic flat iron.

In case you havent seen it, the special edition breast cancer Chi this year was a cute hot pink color. They usually only have them out during October, but if you can find a salon that still has a few (like i did!), they are probably trying to get rid of them. I got a pretty sweet discount :)