Flea Problem!!

Roman

My pup has the Fleas from hell! Anyone else out there having a flea problem? She is on Vectra-D, the Vet just put her on it 2 weeks ago. I had been using Front-Line plus, but it didn't seem to be working, so he changed to the Vectra. I always make sure that I put the flea stuff on 5 days before it is due. I've never had a flea problem like this before. We Humans aren't getting bitten, but the pup is. What else can I do? She has short hair, so I know that I am putting it on right. HELP!![:shrug:/B]

Roman

Thanks

Maybe you could use something for the Yard as well.

The only problem with that, is she has 4 acres here to run. I live on Pax River, and thought because of the sandy soil, we have them exceptionally bad this year. But thanks for the reply. I was wondering if I could bathe her in something, but I just put her on Vectra-D 2 weeks ago. I don't want to have to take her to the Vet again..money is tight right now.

torphichen

flea problem

My pup has the Fleas from hell! Anyone else out there having a flea problem? She is on Vectra-D, the Vet just put her on it 2 weeks ago. I had been using Front-Line plus, but it didn't seem to be working, so he changed to the Vectra. I always make sure that I put the flea stuff on 5 days before it is due. I've never had a flea problem like this before. We Humans aren't getting bitten, but the pup is. What else can I do? She has short hair, so I know that I am putting it on right. HELP!![:shrug:/B]

Treat your house, every room that the dogs goes in with flea bombs. Open up all the closets in the bedrooms before setting off the bombs. Make sure the airconditioning is off. Spray your yard with seven spray or melathion, if your dog goes in the car spray that as well. Wash all bedding . Repeat in 10 days. That should take care of it. Good luck

animalluvr4life

animal luvr
you can get flea and tick shampoo that will help kill the fleas on the dog. that is what i do and i have my dog on advantix. I get it at petco. I haven't had a problem with fleas except for 1x when my vet decided that my dog didn't need flea meds til later in the month. Well she was wrong and i tried to tell her she was due but she said it was too early to put it on. next day she had fleas as she was over 4wks from the last dose. I now do her at 3wks instead of 4wks and its all good :). you can call your vet and ask them for a pill called comfortis that kills fleas too but only fleas no ticks. you can also bomb your house that will get rid of the fleas in the house once you get the ones on the dog killed.

Roman

Shampoo

you can get flea and tick shampoo that will help kill the fleas on the dog. that is what i do and i have my dog on advantix. I get it at petco. I haven't had a problem with fleas except for 1x when my vet decided that my dog didn't need flea meds til later in the month. Well she was wrong and i tried to tell her she was due but she said it was too early to put it on. next day she had fleas as she was over 4wks from the last dose. I now do her at 3wks instead of 4wks and its all good :). you can call your vet and ask them for a pill called comfortis that kills fleas too but only fleas no ticks. you can also bomb your house that will get rid of the fleas in the house once you get the ones on the dog killed.

What kind of flea shampoo can you use on a dog that just had Vectra applied 2 weeks ago? I am afraid of putting too many chemicals on her. Like I said earlier..I had her at the Vet 2 weeks ago, and MAN..was THAT expensive!!

sdm

Ask the vet to give you a capstar tablet. If they don't use them, Petco has them. For heavy fleas, I treat the house with the Raid Flea Treatment (in a purple can). That's the best stuff that I've found to work. After treating the house, give pooch a capstar. This pill starts working within 20 min. or so and will kill 90%+ of the critters on your pooch. Then I follow up with the monthly topical, whichever you use.

Capstar Flea Tablets for Pets at PETCO

Raid® Flea Killer : Raid® Insect Killer

PrepH4U

What kind of flea shampoo can you use on a dog that just had Vectra applied 2 weeks ago? I am afraid of putting too many chemicals on her. Like I said earlier..I had her at the Vet 2 weeks ago, and MAN..was THAT expensive!!

:yeahthat: Talk about chemical warfare. Poor dogs taking pills, getting insecticide applied, house bombed, yard treated. Sounds dangerous for both beast and humans.

onebdzee

off the shelf
I have tried everything on the market for fleas and have found that Seven dust is the best thing to get rid of them....It comes in a bottle that you can hook to your hose and have to spray every couple of weeks in order to make sure that you kill the eggs also

I sprayed about 20ft radius around my house and haven't seen a flea since the second treatment....and I don't use the chemicals that the vet recommends, I found that they were a waste of money

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
:yeahthat: Talk about chemical warfare. Poor dogs taking pills, getting insecticide applied, house bombed, yard treated. Sounds dangerous for both beast and humans.

:killingme

I did PM Roman.... as well

but... I did recommend Capstar over everything! and I was shocked Vectra was not killing fleas!

But I have also had an issue with what I have used right now!

:yay: with seven dust spray!!!

I was also not thrilled with doing a flea bath.... but if she does the capstar it will kill the live fleas and after another week or so she can reapply with something else

just worried its the one pup that has seizures :coffee:

JoeR

The only problem with that, is she has 4 acres here to run. I live on Pax River, and thought because of the sandy soil, we have them exceptionally bad this year. But thanks for the reply. I was wondering if I could bathe her in something, but I just put her on Vectra-D 2 weeks ago. I don't want to have to take her to the Vet again..money is tight right now.

Can't add anything to alll the recommendations, but to save money on the costs try this. My vet will match the price of things I find on line. There policy is if it's close to their cost they'll match it. I did this with the Frontline Plus price I found on PetMeds.com.

refugee44

Having just adopted a dog with a severe flea infestation, I feel your pain!

Capstar is a 24hr treatment, so it's only good for killing the ones on your dog right now, but it's good and it works! You could re-administer again in 5-10 days when any potential larve would hatch.

I had my dog bathed at a groomer with some sort of industrial strength flea killing shampoo and even that didn't kill them all, i.e. capstar.

You have to clean everything your dog comes in contact with, everyday, until you get this beat!

All of my pets, 2 dogs and a cat, are on Advantage monthly, and I've had no problems.

Good luck, this can be a tough one to beat!

pearlie369

UnStAbLe YeT sAfE

Not as dangerous to the pup as becoming anemic from being bled constantly, seen it happen many times before it's not good.
Avoid any more chemicals, or pills if it's been only 2 weeks. I've worked for vet clinics for over 6 years and never heard of Vectra, but if it is anything like frontline and other products it should be safe to give the baby something in another week. The fleas this year are horrible thanks to warm dry weather. We had an issue with them as well earlier this year. We were using promeris and switched to Advantix2. It still took a few months to completely break the life stages, but knock on wood we are flea free now. You can try bombs, but you have to remove all your furniture because fleas will hide under things, the mist doesn't float under beds or couches unfortuntly, yard treatment is good if you live in a community with less than an acre of land. Topical treatment is probably the easiest and the best right now. Sometimes it takes a few rounds to get rid of them and break the cycle, and it maybe one of those things where you may need to try a different flea prevention, if that is the case then I would go to petmeds and see if the prices are any better.

Roman

Fleas

Yes it does, and my pup has a Seizure disorder too boot. I have been told to use Dawn Dish Liquid, so I'm going to give that a try. Someone also said to use Skin So Soft from Avon too.

PrepH4U

Yes it does, and my pup has a Seizure disorder too boot. I have been told to use Dawn Dish Liquid, so I'm going to give that a try. Someone also said to use Skin So Soft from Avon too.

Dawn Dish soap is great. I used it on my rescued kitty and then used a flea comb, 2-3 times a day. It took two baths but I was able to get rid of all fleas and not spread any to the dogs.
I have been very lucky this year 3 dogs & no fleas yet. Which reminds me maybe I should apply their overdue monthly frontline.
We have 3 chickens roaming around, I wonder if they are what are helping keep the flea problem away. :shrug:

Roman

Chickens

Dawn Dish soap is great. I used it on my rescued kitty and then used a flea comb, 2-3 times a day. It took two baths but I was able to get rid of all fleas and not spread any to the dogs.
I have been very lucky this year 3 dogs & no fleas yet. Which reminds me maybe I should apply their overdue monthly frontline.
We have 3 chickens roaming around, I wonder if they are what are helping keep the flea problem away. :shrug:

I have Chickens too! Maybe I should let the free-range in my house!! Just kidding! Someone also told me to put Borax down on the carpeting, so I did get some. I didn't think they still sold that stuff.!