Flea & Tick. What works best around here?

Ohiogirl

We are currently using K9 Advantix for our 90 pound lab. It worked well for us in South Carolina, but it's not working well here. Just got 3 ticks off him. We live in the middle of the woods with lots of deer. Any recommendations?

Roman

Advantix

We are currently using K9 Advantix for our 90 pound lab. It worked well for us in South Carolina, but it's not working well here. Just got 3 ticks off him. We live in the middle of the woods with lots of deer. Any recommendations?

Advantix never worked with my Cats for some reason. I know that Frontline works best for my dog & cats, but it doesn't kill Ticks. ICit will probably post soon, and she works for a Vet. Frequentflier can help too, she has a Pet Shop in Solomons that carries some of the Holistic stuff. Good luck.

jenbengen

Watch it
Advantix never worked with my Cats for some reason. I know that Frontline works best for my dog & cats, but it doesn't kill Ticks. ICit will probably post soon, and she works for a Vet. Frequentflier can help too, she has a Pet Shop in Solomons that carries some of the Holistic stuff. Good luck.

Frontline Plus is what the vet recommended for our 60 lb. dog here. The Plus is supposed to be for ticks. I don't think that any keep the bugs from getting ON your pet, they just keep them from surviving on them and reproducing. We do a tick check often on our dog since we live in the woods. And the ticks are really bad this year to make it even more of a challenge.

Taeobi

I use Revolution on my pom, the ticks still get on him, but they die almost immediately, so they are easy to get off. I haven't noticed any fleas on him at all. This is the only thing I've tried on him. If anyone has any opinions on Revolution, feel free to let me know if there is something better out there for this area...

General Lee

Last year Frontline Plus didn't do jack S--- for fleas or ticks. I switched to Advantix. I've been hearing at least for fleas, their getting immune to Frontline in some areas. Some vets are admitting this some aren't.

animalluvr4life

animal luvr
I've been using frontline plus on the dog for 3yrs now and for some reason this year the ticks aren't dying and I been puting the frontline on her 2 days before the date it is due to be put on and its still not killing them. I am going to have to talk to the vet when i go in this saturday to get more for her on hand to see what else i can try on her because i don't want her loaded in ticks because the stuff isn't killing them off.

toppick08

Hell, the ticks get on me worse than they do her.:lol:.....in 2 years I've only found one on her........fleas for me, is a bigger problem for her......You might want to treat the yard.

animalluvr4life

animal luvr
Hell, the ticks get on me worse than they do her.:lol:.....in 2 years I've only found one on her........fleas for me, is a bigger problem for her......You might want to treat the yard.

treating the yard is out of the option as we have too many acres to treat. the problem is she goes out in the woods with one of my family members for walks in tall grass. she also goes in the river and i guess the more she gets wet the less effective the stuff is even though she is dry for a good 3 to 4 days after the frontline is put on her.

last year i had a problem with fleas. had to bomb the apartment. I am hoping i can not have that problem this year by keeping the frontline on her before she is due for the next dose. I am going to see about switching her to revolution as it also does heartworms too if i remember straight...

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out
I do like revolution... but all of you that want tick protection may want to really read revolution... as it only covers the american dog tick... you want tick coveragae for brown dog tick, the American dog tick, lone star tick and deer ticks (the major carrier of Lyme disease).
you may want to try Vecta 3-D.. it seems to have a great coverage of many things

Frontline is good.. but the down side to that is the main ingred. is Fipronil.. and its usually what we use in the house as well!

Ticks may still get on the dog as most are not TICK REPELLENTS.. Advantix just came out with a new product that should REPELL ticks also.
the main ingredients in Advantix is imidacloprid and permethrin.. These are the most effective for ticks!

here is the write up for Advantix II
K9 Advantix II is a monthly preventative for dogs that offers comprehensive protection against ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, biting flies and chewing lice. K9 Advantix II is a top veterinarian-recommended brand because it repels and kills all life stages of fleas (eggs, pupae, larvae, and adult fleas) and ticks (Deer ticks, American dog ticks, Brown dog ticks, and Lone Star ticks). K9 Advantix II kills 98-100 percent of fleas within 12 hours and continues working for one month to prevent infestations.

For: Dogs and Puppies (only over 7 weeks of age or older)

Benefits:
• Repels and kills fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes
• Kills 98-100 percent of adult fleas within 12 hours
• Ends flea life cycle by prevents flea offspring (eggs, pupae, and larvae) from maturing into adult fleas
• Repels biting flies and kills chewing lice
• Provides one month of protection against ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, biting flies
• Repels disease-carrying mosquitoes before they bite
• Waterproof - continues working even after your dog becomes wet

How it works:
K9 Advantix II combines imidacloprid and permethrin to repel and kill fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. Both ingredients work on contact, attacking parasite nerve cells at different sites. Together these ingredients overwhelm the nervous system killing the parasite. Pyriproxyfen is an insect growth regulator. K9 Advantix II topical solution also repels biting flies and kills lice.

Cautions:
DO NOT USE ON CATS. Cats cannot metabolize the ingredients used in this product.
(I wouldnt even use around cats... or maybe apply on your dog and make sure its dry before the cat is near the dog... very dangerous to cats!!!!)

frequentflier

happy to be living
I do like revolution... but all of you that want tick protection may want to really read revolution... as it only covers the american dog tick... you want tick coveragae for brown dog tick, the American dog tick, lone star tick and deer ticks (the major carrier of Lyme disease).
you may want to try Vecta 3-D.. it seems to have a great coverage of many things

Frontline is good.. but the down side to that is the main ingred. is Fipronil.. and its usually what we use in the house as well!

Ticks may still get on the dog as most are not TICK REPELLENTS.. Advantix just came out with a new product that should REPELL ticks also.
the main ingredients in Advantix is imidacloprid and permethrin.. These are the most effective for ticks!

here is the write up for Advantix II
K9 Advantix II is a monthly preventative for dogs that offers comprehensive protection against ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, biting flies and chewing lice. K9 Advantix II is a top veterinarian-recommended brand because it repels and kills all life stages of fleas (eggs, pupae, larvae, and adult fleas) and ticks (Deer ticks, American dog ticks, Brown dog ticks, and Lone Star ticks). K9 Advantix II kills 98-100 percent of fleas within 12 hours and continues working for one month to prevent infestations.

For: Dogs and Puppies (only over 7 weeks of age or older)

Benefits:
• Repels and kills fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes
• Kills 98-100 percent of adult fleas within 12 hours
• Ends flea life cycle by prevents flea offspring (eggs, pupae, and larvae) from maturing into adult fleas
• Repels biting flies and kills chewing lice
• Provides one month of protection against ticks, fleas, mosquitoes, biting flies
• Repels disease-carrying mosquitoes before they bite
• Waterproof - continues working even after your dog becomes wet

How it works:
K9 Advantix II combines imidacloprid and permethrin to repel and kill fleas, ticks, and mosquitoes. Both ingredients work on contact, attacking parasite nerve cells at different sites. Together these ingredients overwhelm the nervous system killing the parasite. Pyriproxyfen is an insect growth regulator. K9 Advantix II topical solution also repels biting flies and kills lice.

Cautions:
DO NOT USE ON CATS. Cats cannot metabolize the ingredients used in this product.
(I wouldnt even use around cats... or maybe apply on your dog and make sure its dry before the cat is near the dog... very dangerous to cats!!!!)

ICit, isn't the Vecta 3-D a relatively new product? Is is available over the counter or by prescription only? Is it more effective than the other products on the market that many people claim have lost their effectiveness?

puggymom

I put the K-9 Advantix II on my dogs the first tick I found a few weeks ago and I have not seen one since.

Roman

Are they SAFE~~!!!

I put the K-9 Advantix II on my dogs the first tick I found a few weeks ago and I have not seen one since.

We are putting all kinds of chemicals on, or in our pets. Then...we wonder why Fido, or Feefee get cancer. Since my Pup has had seizures..I am very leary about immunizations, and the Topicals we use. I lost a 10 year-old Boston/Pug, and wonder if I was the one that killed her by over Vaccinating, or using Flea Junk on her. She had Cancer from head, to toe, and passed in October 2010. You think you are doing the best for your Cat, or Dog..and then something terrible happens to them, and you wonder why? Something to think about!?!?!?!

Roxie04

We are putting all kinds of chemicals on, or in our pets. Then...we wonder why Fido, or Feefee get cancer. Since my Pup has had seizures..I am very leary about immunizations, and the Topicals we use. I lost a 10 year-old Boston/Pug, and wonder if I was the one that killed her by over Vaccinating, or using Flea Junk on her. She had Cancer from head, to toe, and passed in October 2010. You think you are doing the best for your Cat, or Dog..and then something terrible happens to them, and you wonder why? Something to think about!?!?!?!

every dog i have had we used flea and tick meds on and had their shots every year..........they all lived to a ripe old age.

Ohiogirl

Sorry, I meant to say we are using K9 Advantix II. I just don't understand why it's not repelling the ticks. It works wonderful for fleas though, haven't seen a flea on him at all. I wish we could treat the yard, but we have too much acreage.

Does anyone have personal experience with the Vectra 3-D...the reviews I'm reading do not sound good as far as reactions to the product itself. Lots of allergic reactions.

Roxie04

Sorry, I meant to say we are using K9 Advantix II. I just don't understand why it's not repelling the ticks. It works wonderful for fleas though, haven't seen a flea on him at all. I wish we could treat the yard, but we have too much acreage.

Does anyone have personal experience with the Vectra 3-D...the reviews I'm reading do not sound good as far as reactions to the product itself. Lots of allergic reactions.

what do you mean by repelling? are you finding ticks just crawling on your dog or attached to it?

ICit

Jam out with ur clam out

a coworker of mine has been using Vectra for almost 2yrs now and has had no issues.

I have yet to see any pets come in that is/had a reaction to Vectra. And trust me... we see lots of reactions to hartz, spot on, and other OTC flea and tick meds.
you will read that most flea and tick meds .. dog have had reactions to

With that said.... the main issue with Vectra is it does have more liquid to apply than the others and allergic reaction usually happen when the animal can turn around and LICK the product off
when the product is ingested is mainly when the pet has more issues...

Alot of vets are now have it in stock... a few years ago when it came out not many had it and not many people knew about Vectra. :coffee:

what do you mean by repelling? are you finding ticks just crawling on your dog or attached to it?

K9 Advantix actually repels ticks. Before switching from Frontline to K9 Advantix, our mini-schnauzers would bring ticks in by the dozen hanging on their fur. Frontline would kill the biting ticks but do nothing to stop the live ones from hitching a ride. After switching, we find very few ticks hitching a ride. We are surrounded by woods and fields so this is a very important feature for us.