Fleas

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Over the weekend I gave the kittens a bath with Dawn dish soap to try to get rid of fleas. Did not see any but with being outside so long and them scratching, I figured they probably had fleas. What can I use on the carpets that is safe for such small kittens? If they are way too young for regular flea shampoo, the harsh stuff for carpets is probably not recommended either.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
If you have a vacuum cleaner with a bag, you would need to change that out everyday, I think. Bags are porous and the fleas can jump right back out. (I have a Rainbow cleaner, and all the dirt/debris/fleas go right into the bottom which is a basin of water.)

Are kittens too young for the drops you put on their necks that kill the fleas? Maybe flea collars will help to continuously kill them so you can break the cycle.

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
If you have a vacuum cleaner with a bag, you would need to change that out everyday, I think. Bags are porous and the fleas can jump right back out. (I have a Rainbow cleaner, and all the dirt/debris/fleas go right into the bottom which is a basin of water.)

Are kittens too young for the drops you put on their necks that kill the fleas? Maybe flea collars will help to continuously kill them so you can break the cycle.
I do have a bagged vacuum. Everything I've seen (sprays/shampoos/collars) say the kitten needs to be at least 12 weeks of age. They just turned 6 weeks. I wonder if I could flea bomb my room and give them a good washing again. As well as wash all my bedding in hot water.

Bann

PREMO Member
I do have a bagged vacuum. Everything I've seen (sprays/shampoos/collars) say the kitten needs to be at least 12 weeks of age. They just turned 6 weeks. I wonder if I could flea bomb my room and give them a good washing again. As well as wash all my bedding in hot water.
What does their Vet say?

Bann

PREMO Member
I wonder if you can put out those little dishes of soapy water or vinegar water - like for the fruit flies - and catch the fleas that way? Of course, you probably can't do that with the kittens in the same room. :ohwell:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I've used diatomaceous earth before

Awesome! That is the type of stuff I was hoping would be available. With such tiny kittens that get into all kinds of mischief, I was afraid that there wouldn't be anything safe out there. I will definitely look into this product.

Bobwhite

Over the weekend I gave the kittens a bath with Dawn dish soap to try to get rid of fleas. Did not see any but with being outside so long and them scratching, I figured they probably had fleas. What can I use on the carpets that is safe for such small kittens? If they are way too young for regular flea shampoo, the harsh stuff for carpets is probably not recommended either.
Borax. Sprinkle on carpet, "walk it in", wait a week (if you can) before vacuuming.

CPUSA

You know...when we were kids, our kittens could handle being doused in 7 dust & kerosene & STILL run the neighborhood all night long...

Now even Millenial pets are snowflakes and can't even the flea shampoo... WTH???

Bann

PREMO Member
I'm sure if you go over to Pepper's Pet Pantry, they will probably have some advice for you for the young kittens and how to control the fleas in the home. :yay:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I'm sure if you go over to Pepper's Pet Pantry, they will probably have some advice for you for the young kittens and how to control the fleas in the home. :yay:
I ordered what BeenSpur'd suggested. Sounds like exactly what I am looking for. Over 1,000 positive reviews and it's not toxic. Heck, it can be used as a food additive!

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
I've used diatomaceous earth before

Wow! There is quite the learning curve with the little puffer dispenser. Filled it up 1/4 full and did a gentle squeeze. Looked like it had snowed in my room!! Everything was covered in it. Bedspread, pillows, furniture, carpet!!

I worked it into the carpet best I could. Am currently washing my bedding. Dusted all the furniture. Good thing this is edible because I went back into my room and saw little white footie prints on my night stand that had already been dusted. No doubt Boone and Gracie will eventually lick their paws.

Why can't I do the simplest tasks!! :jameo:

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
Could it be chiggars? If it were fleas, you would probably see some sign of them.
I keep looking at their bellies thinking it would be easier to spot something. Don't see anything. Maybe they don't have anything and I just happen to catch them often when they are just scratching.

June 15th's vet appointment can't come soon enough. Would like to find out about the fleas, how to clean out Boone's ear wax/mites, and just a general health check. Having kittens this little makes me nervous.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I keep looking at their bellies thinking it would be easier to spot something. Don't see anything. Maybe they don't have anything and I just happen to catch them often when they are just scratching.

June 15th's vet appointment can't come soon enough. Would like to find out about the fleas, how to clean out Boone's ear wax/mites, and just a general health check. Having kittens this little makes me nervous.
Pick up a flea comb for them and see if you get any "dirt".