Fleet of Dump trucks VS Stone chips / Broken windshield

Justme2

So I was traveling my normal Rt 4 to Rt 5 to Leonardtown Monday around noon. When a dump truck passed me going the other way just at AAA Gravel pit Mulch People etc. WHACK! RIGHT ON THE WINDSHIELD :cussing: Just above the driver's wiper a star. (That we be a $ 100.00 to fix.)
And for any body that travels Rt4 to or from Rt 5 normally during the week KNOWS for weeks now the fleet of dump trucks traveling from across the bridge at Calvert County.

I was just wondering "How many other people received a star in their windshield?"

Besides the Dump truck I was following this morning got a sign on the back of his truck that states " Stay 250 ft back from truck Not Responsible for Broken Windshield"

GregV814

I can put up a sign on my vehicle that says stay back, I am not responsible for aggressive driving....does it matter what a shred of paper says???? Call the company and get their insurance information...The sign is for sheep...

Fact is dump trucks are not responsible for your chipped windshields. It is considered "road hazard" and your insurance will have to cover it not theirs.

bilbur

State Farm replaced mine for free when rock between a golf ball and a baseball size hit me from a dump truck that was 2 cars ahead of me. I saw it coming but there was nothing I could do, it bounced right over the convertible in front of me and it almost came through the windshield. My agent asked me if I was able to get a license plate but I was too rattled to get it at the time.

mitzi

So I was traveling my normal Rt 4 to Rt 5 to Leonardtown Monday around noon. When a dump truck passed me going the other way just at AAA Gravel pit Mulch People etc. WHACK! RIGHT ON THE WINDSHIELD :cussing: Just above the driver's wiper a star. (That we be a $ 100.00 to fix.)
And for any body that travels Rt4 to or from Rt 5 normally during the week KNOWS for weeks now the fleet of dump trucks traveling from across the bridge at Calvert County.

I was just wondering "How many other people received a star in their windshield?"

Besides the Dump truck I was following this morning got a sign on the back of his truck that states " Stay 250 ft back from truck Not Responsible for Broken Windshield"

I've been on a dump truck rant the past week. I got behind FIVE of them on St. Andrews Church Road last week. Black exhaust billowing out, stinking me out, rocks flying around. So I decide on my home to go up 235. Same thing and they were in both lanes. I was going 60 and they passed me. Had to be at least doing 65 or more thru Hollywood. I hate them.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Fact is dump trucks are not responsible for your chipped windshields. It is considered "road hazard" and your insurance will have to cover it not theirs.

Pretty sure the dump truck people are playing on the fact that it cannot be determined if it was a road hazard or unsecured load hazard without evidence. If you get the event on dashcam or a LE observes it I bet the dump truck operator could be held responsible. Those trucks are obligated under law to secure their load and make sure no spillage from being loaded remains on unenclosed area of the vehicle.

Pretty sure the dump truck people are playing on the fact that it cannot be determined if it was a road hazard or unsecured load hazard without evidence. If you get the event on dashcam or a LE observes it I bet the dump truck operator could be held responsible. Those trucks are obligated under law to secure their load and make sure no spillage from being loaded remains on unenclosed area of the vehicle.
I hear you but truth be told is that it is considered "road hazard" and is covered by the insurance of the vehicle with the damage. You can have your load secured, sweep off your tailgate, etc. but stones and such can still travel outside of the haul pits. Getting the name and or license of the truck you swear dropped or threw up the stone does nothing because there is nothing from stopping each and every driver from picking a dump truck to blame to cover a ding they received regardless as to whether it was really that truck.... so there is no "at fault" which makes it defined as road hazard.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
The simplest solution is to not drive behind, or really anywhere near, dump trucks with uncovered gravel. A friend of mine's husband was almost killed years ago because he was driving behind a truck that had a load of drywall and the straps came loose or whatever and sent sheets through his windshield. So I stay away from them, too. And also car carriers. And people towing something.

Oh, and the folks who have a foot of snow on the roof of their car - I stay away from them.

bilbur

I hear you but truth be told is that it is considered "road hazard" and is covered by the insurance of the vehicle with the damage. You can have your load secured, sweep off your tailgate, etc. but stones and such can still travel outside of the haul pits. Getting the name and or license of the truck you swear dropped or threw up the stone does nothing because there is nothing from stopping each and every driver from picking a dump truck to blame to cover a ding they received regardless as to whether it was really that truck.... so there is no "at fault" which makes it defined as road hazard.

It is frustrating though, the rock that hit me had to come from the dump truck that was loaded with big rocks and the truck I as driving at the time was less than a month old. Luckily it hit the windshield because if it hit the hood or the grill it would have done serious damage.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
As I said, if there is evidence, dashcam or an observation by LE, as to the origin of the debris it would not be defined as a road hazard but as unsecured load damage.
(2) A vehicle used for carrying loose material may not be operated on any highway unless:

(i) All spillage from loading loose material is removed from the nonload-carrying parts of the vehicle;
(ii) Whether the vehicle is loaded or empty, the tailgate is closed securely to prevent spillage of a load or of any residue;
(iii) The bed does not have any holes, cracks, or openings through which loose material can escape; and
(iv) After unloading loose material, all residue is removed from the nonload-carrying parts of the vehicle.

tuffenuff2

I got hit twice in a row- one dump truck behind after another when they were paving rt 234.

PeoplesElbow

Think a rock is bad try getting hit by a 24 ft extension ladder that just fell off the side of a truck into your lane.