Flooring company versus general contractor ?

tuffenuff2

Water had been leaking in around our back door - unbeknownst to us. Two weeks ago the linoleum had a hole in it. My husband pulled it back and found the wood had rotted in two places right next to the joists. He was going to try and fix it himself but realized it was too big a job for his handyman skills. We called the insurance company and had an inspector come out. Long story short we are covered and need a new floor and door. The door needs to come off in order to fix and lay a new floor. If we go to a flooring company will they do the door or if we call a contractor will they do floor? Any suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.

ginwoman

Ask the flooring company if they will do the door. If not, maybe your insurance company can recommend someone. It shouldn't be a big deal I would think. You are very fortunate that your insurance company will over this loss.

I would use a contractor to replace the wood portion of the floor (underlayment) and the door. Then contract a flooring company to do the finish work on the flooring (tile, hardwood, etc...)

Goldenhawk

I doubt most flooring companies do carpentry, but I wouldn't be surprised if they could subcontract to get the repair done. It can't hurt to ask, right?

Conversely, hiring a general contractor to do the whole job would be the typical way to go - they'd arrange all the necessary trades. The bill would be higher, because the GC will be taking a cut of the fees. But that is the insurance company's problem, more or less; it's not out of your pocket.

You didn't ask for company recommendations, but I've had a lot of good service from Parran Flooring in Leonardtown. No disclaimers are needed - I have no connection with them, other than a satisfied customer across about a dozen large projects (4 house flips and numerous additions and renovations to my own home).

Goldenhawk

By the way, make sure whoever does the job checks under the house for (a) structural damage, and (b) termites.

a) The wood seeping down into the subfloor probably kept going down into the floor joists, and the band board and sill plate typically also take some damage. I've fixed a few of these before, and had to replace underlying structure, not just flooring.

b) Termites can only thrive where they find moisture. If they find wet wood, they really like it. Should have someone look for any evidence of termite damage in the area.

tuffenuff2

Thanks for the advice and suggestions. We went floor and door looking yesterday and have a plan of action. The subfloor and door need to be done before the new floor gets laid. Does anybody have a recommendation for a reliable contractor that can do the subfloor and door? We plan on going to Parrans' next week.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Six of one, half dozen of the other. Pros and Cons to each.

General Contractor: Most rely on hiring crews, usually people they work with on a regular basis. Demolition and removal of the debris they may handle themselves. They will ensure ALL the work is done. You only have to pay one person.

Flooring compamy: Chances are high the GC will deal with a floring company for the materials and labor for the floor covering.

You could take on some of the work yourself, if you have the time and talent (ability). You can hire the seperate teams, schedule them and pay them. Probably save a little money (cash). The more work you do, the less your out of pocket. But It all depends on the scope of the damage. Get an estimate from both, see what they have to say and also what your insurance company needs (recommends).

Goldenhawk

I guess if it were not something I called the insurance company about, I'd do the legwork myself to save money. But as long as you've got the insurance company involved, and the costs will be above the deductible anyway, let a GC handle it.

That is, unless your sense of morality dictates that you don't waste the insurance company's money, thus keeping deductible costs slightly slightly slightly lower for everyone...

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Any suggestions and recommendations will be greatly appreciated.
Typically, the insurance company has contractors they will recommend. The contractors probably try to do at least a decent job so they keep getting referrals.