Floppy Died

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
I walked into the coop yesterday and looked at Sweetie and called her Floppy - sheesh. Just shows how much I ALWAYS spoke Floppy's name when I went into the coop. I'm sure I'll do that again. I hope Sweetie doesn't feel offended lol.

Sorry to hear about Floppy.

PrepH4U

I hope to one day find another "mouthy" hen to rescue/adopt. I really enjoyed having a talkative hen in the flock.

So sorry! I know how some chickens are a great pet. :huggy: My hen Funky is a talker and always comes running when I call her.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
yeah and now that Floppy is gone Turbo will have less competition for Prince's attention ...... bet I catch those 2 behind the milk crate more often now? Prince just thinks he's HOT crap since the other rooster died. Has all the hens to himself now. Well at least when cross-dressing Turbo isn't flaunting his ... err ... her stuff.

:tantrum......... its all turbos fault.... :cds: that cross dressing punk :cds:

jedi2814

My flock ranges in age from 1 to 4 years old (maybe a couple are 5 - maybe Floppy was 5 not 4?). I was reading online that chickens can live 7-10 years.

That would be exceptional for a modern hen. I don't have a lot of experience with heritage breeds so they could live longer. But more than 4 or 5 for a regular production type hen is unusual - not unheard of, but unusual....

Cowgirl

That would be exceptional for a modern hen. I don't have a lot of experience with heritage breeds so they could live longer. But more than 4 or 5 for a regular production type hen is unusual - not unheard of, but unusual....

I'm going to disagree. If you're talking about a production leghorn, then generally they don't live past 3 because they're culled for lack of production. I wouldn't be surprised to see that same hen live much longer in a less stressful environment. Many hens like Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks can definitely live to ripe old age if they're taken care of. Stress and heavy production reduce the lives of hens, so hens in a backyard type environment will definitely live that long.

ArkRescue

Adopt me please !
Based on what she looked like (and her sisters that I still have), I believe that Floppy was (or in part) Buff Orpington (sp?).

I'm going to disagree. If you're talking about a production leghorn, then generally they don't live past 3 because they're culled for lack of production. I wouldn't be surprised to see that same hen live much longer in a less stressful environment. Many hens like Rhode Island Reds and Barred Rocks can definitely live to ripe old age if they're taken care of. Stress and heavy production reduce the lives of hens, so hens in a backyard type environment will definitely live that long.

Busterduck

Kiss my Ass
I miss her already.

Sorry I didn't get you the number. My harddrive died and I have been offline for a while.

My mother's hen (was mine when I lived home) lived to over 18 years of age. She was an Aracana. All of the other hens I had died off one by one but that old hen lived so very long. After all of her buddies had died, she started hanging around my mother's german shepherd. She would sleep in his doghouse with him. We were surprised about how long she lived. Never in my wildest dreams did I think a chicken would live so long. She was very special. It was very sad when she finally passed.