Flutie Hits NFL's 1st Drop Kick Since '41

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
FOXBOROUGH, Mass. - For 21 years, Doug Flutie's career has been defined by one play. Now the "Hail Flutie" has its historic bookend.

The 43-year-old Patriots backup converted the NFL's first successful drop kick since 1941, making an extra point in the fourth quarter of the Miami Dolphins' mostly meaningless 28-26 victory Sunday over New England.

"I think Doug deserves it," said usually dour Patriots coach Bill Belichick, who broke into a wide smile when his sprightly quarterback split the uprights off one bounce. "He is a guy that adds a lot to this game of football, has added a lot through his great career - running, passing and now kicking.

"He's got a skill and we got a chance to let him use it, and I am happy for him. First time since '41," said Belichick, a football historian who last month brought out a leather helmet in his media session. "It might be 60 years again, too."

Pretty fly for an old guy :yay:

I saw the replay in the highlights last night. WTG Flutie! :clap:

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Not seeing the game my only question is why? As I understand it was that they lined up for a two-point conversion and then he immediately "drop-kicked" the extra point. Was it a case of coverage being blown or did it looked planned? If planned why not just go for a normat PAT?

Pete

Repete
Ken King said:
Not seeing the game my only question is why? As I understand it was that they lined up for a two-point conversion and then he immediately "drop-kicked" the extra point. Was it a case of coverage being blown or did it looked planned? If planned why not just go for a normat PAT?
They interviewed the coach on ESPN. He is a football historian and he said he heard Chris Berman talking about seeing Flutie do it at Boston College.

The coach asked Flutie if he could still do it during practise and he said he could and he practiced it a few times. He said if the time came they would try it.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Pete said:
They interviewed the coach on ESPN. He is a football historian and he said he heard Chris Berman talking about seeing Flutie do it at Boston College.

The coach asked Flutie if he could still do it during practise and he said he could and he practiced it a few times. He said if the time came they would try it.
So basically a stunt to sell more "Flutie Flakes" or an asterick in the record books. Gotcha.

willie

Ken King said:
Because it made a whole lot more news than a PAT.

MMDad

Lem Putt
Ken King said:

Were you at the '41 game? You couldn't have been much older than 40 for that one! :lmao: