fly help needed

spinner

We have a mini donkey who's legs are being eaten up by flies. We go through this every summer but I guess because of the rain they are worse this year. We slather Swat on her every night, tomorrow we will start doing it in the morning also and we use fly spray. Anybody else have any ideas what we can do? It gets to the point where her legs are a bloody mess. I've tried vet wrap and bandages but she doesn't keep them on. What kind of fly spray have you use? We don't have a problem with the horse or the pony, just the donkey. I was thinking about bathing her legs in a vinegar solution, or maybe Epsom salts tomorrow and trying to bandage them again.

Cowgirl

You've tried vet wrap, but have you tried the fly wraps? My donkey had a bad time with flies too....worse than the horses did, but I think fly spray worked for me.

I

Inkpen

We have a mini donkey who's legs are being eaten up by flies. We go through this every summer but I guess because of the rain they are worse this year. We slather Swat on her every night, tomorrow we will start doing it in the morning also and we use fly spray. Anybody else have any ideas what we can do? It gets to the point where her legs are a bloody mess. I've tried vet wrap and bandages but she doesn't keep them on. What kind of fly spray have you use? We don't have a problem with the horse or the pony, just the donkey. I was thinking about bathing her legs in a vinegar solution, or maybe Epsom salts tomorrow and trying to bandage them again.

Not sure how tall a mini is...and dont laugh..what about "nylons"....panty hose...flys can't get thru them....
If you can't find the right size here in SOMD, could try online....
Or extra large leotards......
I used to use a mix of adams fly spray and dawn soap...made the Adams stay on longer....but that was a while ao....

erinjograves

This might sound weird, but here is my thought.

Clip the donkey's legs. Sometimes donkey's have longer hair on thier legs than horses and flys just burrow into the hair. Once her legs are clipped, give her a good scrub with probably an iodine shampoo (only because I am guessing she has bites now, and this will help clean up the bites as well as clean the legs), after her legs dry off, fly spray her extemely well and possibly start her on a feed through fly deterent like garlic or vinegar or whatever horse fly suppliement works for donkeys.

That may work but then again it may not. I have my two boys in during the day and out only at night because the flys are so bad - even with fly spray! Dont know if that is something you can do for the donkey either, but it may help! My boys love thier high velocity fans during those hot fly ridden days!

Good luck!

spinner

Thank you for your help, I ordered a set of four from Valley Vet, they'll be shipped on Monday, IN the meantime we will Swat and get some Adams Fly spray.

Cowgirl

poster

I've seen that used on horses, and I wouldn't recommend it. It can run into the animals' eyes, and they can get it in their eyes when they rub their face on their legs.

I can see the reasoning but we were lucky. We only used it when regular spray wasn't helping. Didn't have a problem getting in the eyes though.