Fly leg wraps for turnout

mingiz

Horse Poor
If they're the nylon screen type. There ok if you have a nice pasture(not over grown etc.) Otherwise they catch on eveything and it tears them up. I tried them a few years ago. They work but they don't hold up to well.. :howdy:

I used them for a mare of mine who seems to attract every bug in SoMD - but they rubbed her raw around the pastern/fetlock and created a bug haven. Plus, even though the ones I bought had the stiffening band to keep them upright, they still crinkled. I tried two different kinds. Won't buy those anymore!

fredsaid2

I tired the Cashel ones a few years back. The plastic stays poked through in a matter of days. Last night the BM had to rearrange pastures and leave some in due to the flies. The lucky ones were those in stalls for the night under fans! The heat seems to make the flys even more vicious.

and....so glad to hear from you again, hope all is well!

Labs4Me

I've tried 2 different brands: Cashel and I forget the other brand. I didn't think either brand was worth the trouble. The Cashel got ripped after only 2 days (I do love the Crusader long masks by Cashel though). The other brand just kept sagging down and irritating the crap out of my horses. The flies still managed to get under the wraps too. This year does seem to be particularly bad as far as the flies go. They're making me nuts!! :jameo:

bgunmunro

FLY WRAPS - They are GREAT!

The Original, Patented FLY WRAPS (see www.flywraps.com) are terrific!
They have STRETCH STRAPS, "Stays" that keep them up and dispite the catalog photos that show the "shearling" (fuzzy) trim on the bottom - the 'shearling' should surround the horse's leg up on the top and the binding should be on the bottom, down by the top of the hoof.
I have seen this product last 2 summers on horses that wear them 24/7 out in the field.
They are also 4/Set. $39.95 + S&H.
The 'knock-off's don't work nearly as well, fall down, wrinkle, insects crawl down inside from the top, etc.
I can't recommend FLY WRAPS enough. Everyone of us have fallen in love with FLY WRAPS. www.flywraps.com

Labs4Me

bgunmunro said:
They have STRETCH STRAPS, "Stays" that keep them up and dispite the catalog photos that show the "shearling" (fuzzy) trim on the bottom - the 'shearling' should surround the horse's leg up on the top and the binding should be on the bottom, down by the top of the hoof.
I have seen this product last 2 summers on horses that wear them 24/7 out in the field.
The 'knock-off's don't work nearly as well, fall down, wrinkle, insects crawl down inside from the top, etc.
I can't recommend FLY WRAPS enough. Everyone of us have fallen in love with FLY WRAPS. www.flywraps.com
I might give those a try! I just got both of my girls new fly sheets. I'm hoping they're better than the last ones I tried!

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
bgunmunro said:
Oh good...those are the ones I bought from Elam the other day. My mare stomps so bad that last year she had her hooves cracked up pretty bad. They seemed like they were made alot better than others that I have seen. I hope they work.

fredsaid2

mygoldnhorse said:
Oh good...those are the ones I bought from Elam the other day. My mare stomps so bad that last year she had her hooves cracked up pretty bad. They seemed like they were made alot better than others that I have seen. I hope they work.

Let us know how they're holding up in a few weeks. Hope they work!

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
fredsaid2 said:

I will let you know! Lucky for our horses we don't seem to have too many flies yet. But, I'm sure the little suckers will be showing up soon :wench:

mygoldnhorse

Cowgirl Up
fredsaid2 said:
So far so good! I put them on my mare Friday evening and they have not moved. They are still in exactly the same place.
I was going to buy some fly wraps from Chicks for $19 but I thought from the picture they looked cheap. The flywraps cost $35.99 at Loveville Leather and I am very happy with the quality. I'm not sure if they are made by the same manufacturer as the Crusader fly mask but they seem to be made out of the same material and with the same design. I have a Crusader fly mask that I purchased 5 years ago that is still in perfect condition and since my mare has a wide blaze that extends throughout her nose she wears it the entire summer.

fredsaid2

mygoldnhorse said:
So far so good! I put them on my mare Friday evening and they have not moved. They are still in exactly the same place.
I was going to buy some fly wraps from Chicks for $19 but I thought from the picture they looked cheap. The flywraps cost $35.99 at Loveville Leather and I am very happy with the quality. I'm not sure if they are made by the same manufacturer as the Crusader fly mask but they seem to be made out of the same material and with the same design. I have a Crusader fly mask that I purchased 5 years ago that is still in perfect condition and since my mare has a wide blaze that extends throughout her nose she wears it the entire summer.

That is great to hear! Sounds like an Elam's trip coming up :smile: Thanks!!