Fly Predator Friendly Reminder

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
With the nice, warm temperatures right around the corner now is the time to get started on fly control. This will be my fourth year using fly predators from Spalding Labs. I love them! Tiny little bugs that show up in the mail every month, fly predators are easy to apply...just scatter them around the yard.

I combine the fly predators with spot on fly treatment and I've had good results throughout the years. How 'bout everyone else? What do you do for fly control?

Loper

Animal Poor!
With the nice, warm temperatures right around the corner now is the time to get started on fly control. This will be my fourth year using fly predators from Spalding Labs. I love them! Tiny little bugs that show up in the mail every month, fly predators are easy to apply...just scatter them around the yard.

I combine the fly predators with spot on fly treatment and I've had good results throughout the years. How 'bout everyone else? What do you do for fly control?

Fly Predators :yahoo::yahoo: we even get extra for the cow areas!!!!

Tazgirl

I have been using Simplyfly for the past two years and have had great results. I would like to add the fly preditors along with the Simplyfly this year.

fredsaid2

I'm thinking of trying the fly bait trap this year. The big contraption you set up near a pasture. Supposed to mimic an animal and the flys drop into soapy water. Wasn't it SOMDRocks that brought it up here? Otherwise I use fly leg wraps and masks. The ones Elam carries worked well for me last summer.

I'd like to give the predators a try but I have two neighbors w/ horses. I read it's not as effective unless everyone uses them.

Four*Leaf*Farm

RIP Quinn
I've gotten fly predators in the past and was very happy w them.. but I have chickens now and am reluctant to order the predators this year because I know the chickens will just eat them. :(

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I've gotten fly predators in the past and was very happy w them.. but I have chickens now and am reluctant to order the predators this year because I know the chickens will just eat them. :(

If you just open the "bag" they come in and place it out of reach of the chickens the fly predators will hatch and exit the package on their own. The chickens (and ants!!) will only eat the casing, so if the predators hatch out of reach of the chickens, you're good to go!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I'm thinking of trying the fly bait trap this year. The big contraption you set up near a pasture. Supposed to mimic an animal and the flys drop into soapy water. Wasn't it SOMDRocks that brought it up here? Otherwise I use fly leg wraps and masks. The ones Elam carries worked well for me last summer.

I'd like to give the predators a try but I have two neighbors w/ horses. I read it's not as effective unless everyone uses them.

Flys can travel approx. a 1/4 of a mile a day, but you can help create a "shield" around your property by placing fly traps on the fence lines.

I used some of those stickey fly traps from Elam last year and they were FANTASTIC!!! I've used those smelly water bag ones and they're just DISGUSTING. The sticky one is great and I already have one ready to go out this year!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
you mean?? bugs.. and not the kinda predator going after the bad guys.:stupid:

Haha, yup! Fly predators are parasitoids. They are classified somewhere between predators and parasites. They're also called parasitic wasps, but they're tiny biteless, stingless bugs that attack only the pupa of pest flys.

I'm probably one of the LAST people to say nice things about bugs...but I like these little dudes!

fredsaid2

I also plan to plant lots of marigolds. May turn out to be just a wives-tale but worth a shot, at the very least they will look nice. Phy, I will check out the sticky tapes for the fence line. I used the water bag ones, not much luck there.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I also plan to plant lots of marigolds. May turn out to be just a wives-tale but worth a shot, at the very least they will look nice. Phy, I will check out the sticky tapes for the fence line. I used the water bag ones, not much luck there.

This is the one I got from Elam. Worked great!
http://www.rods.com/eccStoreImages/product_images/Tack/3005363_L.jpg

Also, marigolds are great! I also purchased Eqyss Marigold spray for my mare & foal last year (also from Elam) Eqyss Marigold Fly Spray - Repellents from SmartPak Equine

Bugs vs Plants - StumbleUpon WebToolbar

Also, I put mosquito dunks in our water troughs and pond! They're safe for livestock and fish. You can find them at some feed stores and most garden/pond/landscaping stores. Mosquito Dunks

Last edited:

covekat

I haven't tried the predators but want too... not sure how it would work in our situation though... barns and stalls are cleaned everyday and our manure pile is about 1/4 mile from the barn. But we have so many flies in the barn, it's unreal. We pick the paddocks, drag fields, etc...

So would just turning the bugs loose around the barn do the trick? Or should we put them near the manure pile too? And how about the giant horse flies? I've never found anything good to kill those either... I was going to try one of those traps, but they're expensive and I need to know that they will work!

Thanks in advance, LOL...

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
Haha, well...for flies to be present they HAVE to be breeding and flys breed where there's wet and/or manure. Are you near water or woods? (I know...who in SOMD isn't near water or woods?!?!) Forests tend to be damp and are good breeding grounds for flys. Do you have stall mats in the barn? Do you allow the ground under the matts to dry? That's a big time breeding ground for flies. It's not just manure, but all WET places that can provide happy fly breeding grounds.

covekat

The barn isnt too close to the woods or the river, but there is a pond close by... and yes, we have mats in all the stalls, but do let the stalls dry daily, but I guess they never dry 100%...geeze, why do those flies have to be so complicated?

Sonsie

The mighty Al-Sonsie!
Wow, just when I despair over how crazy dry it is here in South Texas I remember how nutzy buggy it is back north. Keep your flies, Even though it was 88 here the other day there were no bugs.

Wait4It..boom

This is the one I got from Elam. Worked great!
http://www.rods.com/eccStoreImages/product_images/Tack/3005363_L.jpg

Also, marigolds are great! I also purchased Eqyss Marigold spray for my mare & foal last year (also from Elam) Eqyss Marigold Fly Spray - Repellents from SmartPak Equine

Bugs vs Plants - StumbleUpon WebToolbar

Also, I put mosquito dunks in our water troughs and pond! They're safe for livestock and fish. You can find them at some feed stores and most garden/pond/landscaping stores. Mosquito Dunks

I usually use the endure fly spray. But I have been thinking about those little bugs- may try them this year.
Phyxius - the sticky thing, how many did you buy? Just one or multiple?

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I usually use the endure fly spray. But I have been thinking about those little bugs- may try them this year.
Phyxius - the sticky thing, how many did you buy? Just one or multiple?

I don't have a lot of acreage and my fields are set in a sprial/circle type thing so I just set up 2. They have labelling that tells you how far to place them away from a building/fence for best results and at what height to place them. The combination of height/location makes them "targets" for flys, so follow the reccomendations for best results.

When I'm off property I'll fly spray my guys and I generally use Bronco. It's cheap, water based, and actually works fairly well. Other fly spray cost 2 and 3 times more than the bronco but do not preform 2 or 3 times as well.

fredsaid2

You talked me into it Phy. I ordered a season's worth today. Heck, if it halves the fly population it will be worth it. Maybe I won't have to dose myself in DDT just to sit outside this summer!

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
You talked me into it Phy. I ordered a season's worth today. Heck, if it halves the fly population it will be worth it. Maybe I won't have to dose myself in DDT just to sit outside this summer!

Woo Hoo!! :yahoo: As long as you ordered enough and you follow the directions you will see a difference! I love the little buggers.

fredsaid2

Woo Hoo!! :yahoo: As long as you ordered enough and you follow the directions you will see a difference! I love the little buggers.

I went by their recommendation and I'll get an extra pack for July. They gave me tips on where best to sprinkle them around. I'm almost looking forward to fly season!