Fly Predators

devinej

my parents have a little 25 acre place that they have used them on, claim they work. but it will not work if you use them for your size farm and you have a cattle farm next door....

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I've used fly predators for a couple years and I have a neighbor with property boardering mine that has two horses and about 100 yards away another neighbor with two horses and two ponies and then more neighbors with horses approx. .25-.5 miles away. To my knowledge none of my neighbors use fly predators. Biting flies can travel approx. a quarter of a mile a day. I have noticed a decrease in biting flies since I started using the fly predators, even with my nearby neighbors not using them. However, I do not live next to a barn with 15-30 horses, just weekend warriors with a couple head.

I get my fly predators from Spalding labs in packages of 5,000 with 10,000 coming in July and August. The flies come in little larvae and are susceptible to being eaten by chickens/birds and ants so you'll want to read the directions for release to make sure you're not just feeding the wildlife. The predators work by eating the biting flies BEFORE they hatch, so if you wait until later in the year and already have an established fly population it will take a while to notice a significant change in population. The predators are very small and do not bother people or horses.

Also, I thought you were boarding at Flat Iron, are you looking into getting them there? There are reccommended amounts for different amounts of animals.

I used them when I lived in Nanjemoy (had my horses in my backyard - not many horses all that close) and they were GREAT - not one stinking ankle-biting &^%$ stable fly. They don't do anything for deerflies or horseflies, though - keep that in mind.

Now that I'm on Dodon Farm we're doing it here, too. I started it last year and I think I should have gotten a double-order for the whole season. Doing it again this year with larger numbers. Though we did see a reduction in flies, it wasn't like I had with just 3 horses in the backyard. It cost me $600 from Spalding Labs for the whole season (double batch in June or July - can't remember which). :yikes: Though if it'll save on fly spray....

I've used fly predators for a couple years and I have a neighbor with property boardering mine that has two horses and about 100 yards away another neighbor with two horses and two ponies and then more neighbors with horses approx. .25-.5 miles away. To my knowledge none of my neighbors use fly predators. Biting flies can travel approx. a quarter of a mile a day. I have noticed a decrease in biting flies since I started using the fly predators, even with my nearby neighbors not using them. However, I do not live next to a barn with 15-30 horses, just weekend warriors with a couple head.

I get my fly predators from Spalding labs in packages of 5,000 with 10,000 coming in July and August. The flies come in little larvae and are susceptible to being eaten by chickens/birds and ants so you'll want to read the directions for release to make sure you're not just feeding the wildlife. The predators work by eating the biting flies BEFORE they hatch, so if you wait until later in the year and already have an established fly population it will take a while to notice a significant change in population. The predators are very small and do not bother people or horses.

Also, I thought you were boarding at Flat Iron, are you looking into getting them there? There are reccommended amounts for different amounts of animals.

I ordered it yesterday. I have two on about 5 acres. I also have chickens but when I placed the order I was told to put them in plastic baggies around the barn until they hatch. Hopefully it will cut down on fly spray.

Loper

Animal Poor!

Hey Phyx, we are going to try them this year at the new place... We've got 25,000 coming each month and 50,000 coming for July and Aug. I added the cows to the total... :lmao: Those poor cows were covered last year... I wanted to go out and spray them.

Phyxius

Zoooooooom
I ordered it yesterday. I have two on about 5 acres. I also have chickens but when I placed the order I was told to put them in plastic baggies around the barn until they hatch. Hopefully it will cut down on fly spray.

I'm not sure how they'll package it, but the people I get it from say that if you have chickens you can just hang that package up, open and the predators will come out as they're ready. (Basically the same thing you're saying.)

Also, regarding fly spray BE CAREFUL. Do not spray where you have the predators or where they are likely to travel. The predators will be killed by the fly spray too. I only sprayed my guys when I was away from my farm. When at home I used spot on fly repellant like Freedom. They're not 100% nor do they last 2 whole weeks but the combination (predators and spot on) helped tremendously.