Foal Weanin

arabianpony

I have a friend in the process of weaning a colt. She has a small place, but enough room to seperate them by fence although he can still reach her over the fence for a kiss. she has been told however that even after month of physical seperation, the colt can try to go back to nursing and the mare will start making milk again even if she has dried up. The suggestion was to set 2 thumb tacks into the colt's halter browband, facing up so that when he should try to nurse, it will poke the mare and she will stop him. My friend is not too excited about that route. Does anybody have any suggestions or advice?

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I did that 20 yrs ago when I had a small place.....if the mare is patient and good she will take the tacks and let the baby nurse...if she is of a different personality she will whop him and be done with it..

I suggest 6 months apart then putting them back together...if the mare is rebred she will reject him better...

If he can reach threw the fence he will nurse that way too...

Good luck

PS bettter to send one of the two off for awhile.

persimmoncf

Persimmon Creek Farm
your friend can run a strand of tape (electric) a handful of feet away from the cross fencing on the mares side. This should work inexpensively.

horsesrock93

Chevy Is Da BOMB!!!!
DID YOU ALL KNOW THAT IN THE WILED FOALS STAY WITH THERE MOM UNTIL THE NEXT FOAL ARRIVES OF UNTEL THE AGE OF 3!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! :yay: