'Food Deserts' Across America

The article explains poor folks across America don't have access to 'real' food and that is why they chose to spend what money they have on convenience foods and fast foods. I find this very hard to believe. Rice, pasta, a bag of Idaho potatoes and/or various other root veggies, lentils, a variety of beans, etc. are all options that bring natural nutrition including proteins that can be stored a long time before 'going to waste'. Throw in canned/jar options and the variety is endless. $10 of anything I mentioned above goes MUCH farther than $10 at a fast food joint or convenience store.

The article slightly touches on the true problem which is we've been molded into believing it is acceptable and expected that we are all entitled to immediate gratification and that we can expect to have what we want rather then settle for what works to fit a need. I've personally witnessed many who are given government funds that MUST be spent on fresh produce, meat, milk, etc. buy the requirements then give them away or sell them for a lower price because they 'don't want that stuff'. Is their really hope that simply 'educating' these folks will make them see the light?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
IMHO

People eat healthy because the WANT to, not because of some 'price' gap between a bag of chips and a head of Cauliflower

One of the PG County Council wanted to use 'zoning' do push out fast food restaurants along Central Ave some yrs back ... because of unhealthy food

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Which tastes better: a pepperoni pizza or a kale smoothie? A glass of water or a chocolate shake?

People eat junk because it tastes better, not because it's cheaper or more convenient. If there were a produce stand next door to them, they would still drive 10 miles to McDonalds. It's why you see shopping carts full of chips and snack cakes being paid for with SNAP.

This woman:

National Geographic profiled a local single mom who doesn’t have time to return home and cook meals because she’s always on the go, working as a home health aide and shuttling her kids to and from school. She often relies on premade dinners and fast food to feed her family.

Oh please. I was a single working mother and I still managed to make dinner for my kids every night. Especially if you're a single parent you don't have the money for packaged dinners and fast food, so you have to cook. Liberals make excuses for these people like they're studying a Ubangi tribe or something.

luvmygdaughters

I too was a single mom, worked, took kids to school, I made dinner almost every night. As a treat, on payday once a month, the kids and I would go to Western Steer. That was it. Very seldom did we hit a McDonalds or Wendys. I wasnt receiving assistance, so, I had to stretch the money. I would buy fruit, veggies, diary and meat. I would pick up a six pack of soda, a bag of chips and a bag of candy. When they were gone...there was no more until the next month when I did the heavy grocery shopping. When I was kid, my parents did the same thing, sodas, candy, etc. was a treat not a necessity, if you ate it all immediately...tough cookies...no more till the next month. My mother made dinner every night, we were lucky I suppose that we had a garden and access to fresh veggies, she prepared a couple of veggies with dinner and you ate it or you went hungry. I did the same with my kids. I think a lot of it has to do with how your parents prepared meals and what was served.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
And another thing:

Our ancestors migrated hundreds of miles to find food. Are we to believe that ghetto rats won't even go 1 mile? That they'll just lay there and die of starvation unless someone shows up with a bag of Wendys?

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
And another thing:

Our ancestors migrated hundreds of miles to find food. Are we to believe that ghetto rats won't even go 1 mile? That they'll just lay there and die of starvation unless someone shows up with a bag of Wendys?
#5!

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
If you have carrots, potatoes, and onions in the house, you have food.

Some salt and pepper and a piece of meat, you're good to go.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Dinner on the table every night is so important. It's the place my kids would talk about anything.