Food hoarders

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Prior to arriving in New Braunfels, empty grocery shelves was something that happened in other places. Once we got settled in we it was time to shop. First stop was the local Buc-ees travel center. There had to be at least 60 people shopping in there. I'm use to seeing more people in there but maybe this is busy for this location.

Then it was off to the grocery store. And I had a feeling that I could relate to the people in Venezuela. Lots of empty shelves. Yesterday in our running around we went to the same grocery store chain just in a different location. This is where we encountered the controlled entry into the store. The place wasn't picked clean but they still lacked some items and the shelves were far from fully stocked. They had maybe 20-30% percent of what they normally have. Of course no eggs to be found.

I have been going grocery shopping for decades. You buy what you need, take it home, put it away, then get more when you run out. It's an effective routine. We don't have a lot of refrigerator and freezer space. We buy with an eye for how much we can hold. I have to believe that even if you have the largest refrigerator on the market, that at some point it gets full then that's it.

So with all this hyper shopping taking place, where are these people putting all this excess food? Did they get another backup refrigerator? Are they cooking it and then eating it as fast as they make it? Wouldn't it be great if everyone did their normal shopping. Then there would be enough for everyone else.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
That the hoarding continues is fascinating to watch. I'd like to get hold of one of them and ask a bunch of questions.

Grocery stores stock up, hoarders descend like locusts and wipe them out; grocery stores stock up again; hoarders wipe them out again. At some point don't you have enough to sustain you for awhile? Or are they hoarding to use canned goods for barter in the event the US is completely shut down and Americans are forbidden to leave their homes?

I'm not hoarding, but have always had a decent reserve stock. I have a fridge and an upright freezer which are always full. So now I live off what I have in stock, don't need to hoard, don't need to resupply for a few weeks, except for things like eggs. I have enough for another week or so, but if I can't find them, I can do without.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
It is fascinating to watch. The media is screaming "WE'RE ALL GOING TO DIE AND YOU MUST DO SOMETHING!!!" and people are responding by doing the only thing they can: buying everything they can and hoarding it because the great plague and apocalypse is upon us.

I had an interesting discussion with my sister a couple of days ago. She and her husband "live like the French" and buy only as they need something. I am the opposite and have everything I need on hand, only replenishing when needed. She was freaking out when they were down to their last roll of toilet paper and could not find any nearby. She did joke that they have plenty of leaves in the yard if necessary.

Grumpy

Granted heard this 2nd/3rd hand but my daughter's half sister's husband (CC cop) went to PF Giant yesterday morning and watched stockers put out a couple dozen packages of hamburger that was immediately snatched up by 1 guy. Are grocery stores gonna end up limiting purchases??

Granted heard this 2nd/3rd hand but my daughter's half sister's husband (CC cop) went to PF Giant yesterday morning and watched stockers put out a couple dozen packages of hamburger that was immediately snatched up by 1 guy. Are grocery stores gonna end up limiting purchases??
Even if he freezes it, by the time he got to use it all, it would be freezer burned and stale. Unless his plan was to resell at an inflated price, in which case he should have it all taken away to be redistributed and not reimbursed.

Some stores are limiting some purchases, I see more forceful limiting coming.

Last edited:

RPMDAD

I really hope the stores put limits on everything there, there is absolutely no reason at all for these shortages except for pure greed and hoarding

Even if he freezes it, but the time he got to use it all, it would be freezer burned and stale. Unless his plan was to resell at an inflated price, in which case he should have it all taken away to be redistribute and not reimbursed.

Some stores are limiting some purchases, I see more forceful limiting coming.
We now have local restaurants selling bulk meats, poultry, etc. at a mark up. They are selling out everyday. I suspect that dude is a resell guy.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron

The HEBs in New Braunfels TX are limiting everything. Not sure why Giant isn't.

Interesting thing about having a full freezer: you never know what you'll find, that you've forgotten was in there. Just found a container of homemade chicken soup. Made a good lunch.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Out them. They bought that meat at wholesale prices and are now scamming the public.

And I get it - they have to survive, too, but that's a pretty unethical way to go about it.
I posted it in another thread. The Lighthouse Inn is selling 10 pounds rolls of 80/20 ground beef for $50. That is $5 A POUND for the cheap crap.

black dog

Free America
I'm not hoarding, but have always had a decent reserve stock. I have a fridge and an upright freezer which are always full. So now I live off what I have in stock, don't need to hoard, don't need to resupply for a few weeks, except for things like eggs. I have enough for another week or so, but if I can't find them, I can do without.

Yep, I could go close to a year if necessary besides milk, eggs and bags of salad makings. I pulled into our Dollar General the other day and watched some pushing and shoving because some ******* was walking out with a full cart of two liter RC cola bottles. He must have had 30 bottles and the other guy was pissed off the store had no more...

RareBreed

Throwing the deuces
The lady that delivered my ground turkey said when she saw what I had ordered, she was worried they wouldn't have it. She said there were only 7 packs in stock and this was only a couple hours after opening. I got the bigger packs so I can ration each pack into at least two meals. I hope the person that got the rest really needed it like I did and wasn't somebody that already has more than they need.

black dog

Free America
It's one of the more unsavory practices of capitalism. Supposedly when we're in an emergency, we're supposed to look out for each other. It's telling when companies choose to price gouge instead.

Its not my opinion but, I will ask you this.

Is it better that someone that has bought and paid for products that they resell at 100 to 500% markup and is readily for sale or hoarders buy it all and don't offer it for sale to anyone?
So in essence would you rather pay 15 dollars for a 4 pack of toilet paper or do without because the hoarders have closets full of TP.

Escalade14

Go Rams!
What about stores that have a self checkout line, such as Wal-Mart for example? People can bypass the 'limited to X amount of Y item per purchase' just by scanning up to whatever the limit is, pay for it, and then start another round of scanning so many more until they are done.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Its not my opinion but, I will ask you this.

Is it better that someone that has bought and paid for products that they resell at 100 to 500% markup and is readily for sale or hoarders buy it all and don't offer it for sale to anyone?
So in essence would you rather pay 15 dollars for a 4 pack of toilet paper or do without because the hoarders have closets full of TP.

Let me tell you what several of the bars/restaurants in South Padre Island did:

On the day before the fascist edict of no socialization, they held big parties with free food and beverages to use it up before lockdown so it wouldn't go bad, and give their customers one last hurrah.

Others, who remained open for carryout, are cobbling together a limited menu at more reasonable prices than normal.

Lighthouse Inn has to deal with its own conscience, but what they're doing is definitely not benefiting the community and is in fact price gouging in a time of emergency, which is illegal for most industries.