Food poisoning

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Fast Food Joints in the 50's - 70's may have been 'Greasy Spoons' but you were not getting Food Poisoning

I'm not going to go back to the way we ate in the 50s-70s. That was the beginning of the processed food era and where we started some pretty unhealthy views on diet, processed foods, and how and what we consumed. Also, health code standards were certainly a little different back then: if people were getting sick from eating out, it most likely came from a cook or server with poor hygeine/food prep habits because those were not nearly as regulated as they are today.

Research (CDC) shows you're actually more likley to get food poisoning from fresh produce and eggs. There's no cook step process when we're eating our veggies raw to decrease the contamination (salad, salsa, guacamole, etc. - that's half of your options at Chipotle btw) and we're definitely consuming way more fresh produce (America - as a whole) than we did even from just a few years ago. Hello, Farm to Table movement. Obviously this increases everyone's risk to pathogens and bacteria hiding in our fresh produce. To put it simply, lettuce doesn't come chopped and bagged from some super-ultra sterile facility like McDonald's, the whole lettuce head goes from Farm, to a Chipotle distributing plant, to local Chipotle's, where it's then washed and chopped. Maybe I'm weird. I'd rather take my chances with a fresher product, knowing the risks, than continue to consume months-old produce that's been washed and bagged with god-knows what to keep it preserved longer.

Also, hi...the internet. Now we know of every. single. time. someone ####s their brains out after some Chipotle. AND also, hey...people that don't understand the difference between food poisoning and having a couple bad ####s and throwing a fuss about food poisoning regardless of the medical symptoms. And lastly, herd mentality: we complain about it all the time on here. If a couple dozen people hear about their local Chipotle having a food poisoning situation, now you have a couple dozen freaking out that they swear too they had food poisoning, obviously because their #### was slightly smellier than normal. And then you have a chain reaction.

I'm not saying disregard these cases at Chipotle, but as the unoffocial guinea pig that took this new beloved Farm to Table movement and made it a chain restaurant, you really have to know and understand all the new criteria, food handling/prep, safety that now comes in to play with this F2T movement, and realize it's actually an increased risk all around, but since Chipotle is a national chain, we're more likely to hear about it than your non-chain local F2T restaurant.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Also, hi...the internet. Now we know of every. single. time. someone ####s their brains out after some Chipotle. AND also, hey...people that don't understand the difference between food poisoning and having a couple bad ####s and throwing a fuss about food poisoning regardless of the medical symptoms. And lastly, herd mentality: we complain about it all the time on here. If a couple dozen people hear about their local Chipotle having a food poisoning situation, now you have a couple dozen freaking out that they swear too they had food poisoning, obviously because their #### was slightly smellier than normal. And then you have a chain reaction.

I think this is probably a lot of it - the age-old #metoo movement that has been in play since humans got invented. That's why I didn't feel compelled to post about my distress on their social media pages - before you know it, there's a freaking epidemic of food poisoning posers.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I think I'll be having Chipotle for lunch on Wednesday! :drool:

I do not understand the attraction to Chipotle. There was a girl in one of my English classes that was obsessed and ate it every day. I've never had anything amazing at Chipotle; to me it's just a step or two above Taco Bell.

...to me it's just a step or two above Taco Bell.

I don't place it that high. I got a burrito once and it was just a mess. Fell apart all over, felt so bloated I didn't even finish it. Didn't really care for the taste. If I want Mexican, I make my own tacos.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I do not understand the attraction to Chipotle. There was a girl in one of my English classes that was obsessed and ate it every day. I've never had anything amazing at Chipotle; to me it's just a step or two above Taco Bell.

I like it. No beans or rice, chicken, fresh salsa, corn, cheese, sour cream, and extra cilantro.

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member

I've never eaten at a Chipotle's.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
A lot of the food poisoning cases from the 1950s & 60s were due to church picnics and other large group, outdoor gatherings. Egg salad and other yummy goodies sitting out in the hot sun for hours before being consumed. They fried the chicken on saturday night to save time on Sunday and left it sit on the counter all night long.

Buon appetit.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
A lot of the food poisoning cases from the 1950s & 60s were due to church picnics and other large group, outdoor gatherings. Egg salad and other yummy goodies sitting out in the hot sun for hours before being consumed. They fried the chicken on saturday night to save time on Sunday and left it sit on the counter all night long.

Buon appetit.

Years ago there was one out in Chaptico. I think I was the stuffed ham. A LOT of sick people and I think even a death.

https://www.nytimes.com/1997/11/09/us/a-town-is-dazed-after-a-deadly-church-dinner.html