Food Stamp Households Drop Below 20 Million

mAlice

professional daydreamer
The latest data from the USDA reveals that the number of households on food stamps in February 2018 dropped to 19,992,124—the first time it fell below 20 million since September 2010, when 19,979,385 households were enrolled in the Supplemental Nutrition Assistance Program (SNAP).

The USDA notes that not only is the number of households receiving food stamps at a record low level, but the number of people enrolled in food stamps has also gone down. From January to February of this year alone, overall food stamp enrollment dropped from 40,640,170 to 40,032,131.

http://www.breitbart.com/big-govern...e-2010/?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social

mAlice

professional daydreamer
Um...if the number of households was lower in 2010...how is the current number "at a record low level"??

I didn't write the frickin article. The number of households on the dole is down. You can't say anything positive about that? Somehow, I knew you'd be the first to respond to this.
If I were a better person, I'd feel sorry for you.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Um...if the number of households was lower in 2010...how is the current number "at a record low level"??

And this, my friends, is what winning looks like.

Trump.JPG

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Food Stamp Households Drop Below 20 Million

Though these programs are needed, they do not take into account the inflationary effects on income nor are those numbers adjusted proportionality as the value of the dollar falls. Say the threshold for eligibility for SNAP benefits for a family of four caps at $27,000. If that family has an increase of income to $27,700, they no longer qualify and are dropped from the rolls. Yet, inflation has caused the cost of everything else the family pays for to increase, negating their increase in income leaving them actually worse shape because of the loss of purchasing power. The eligibility levels are never increased to reflect the actual levels of inflation. (I'm referring to actual inflation, not the government massaged inflation numbers) If they were to be, there would actually be an increase in food stamp usage. Ever thought you'd see $5.00 a pound for bacon? Hamburger? Notice how now it is standard in many grocery stores to see many products have a big round $5 price label indicating a supposed great deal? If the numbers were ever to be honest coming out of government, there would be an increase of millions more on the food stamp program due to the erosion, and loss of purchasing power, of the US dollar. What you see happening with the food stamp program is not a good thing. It is not winning. It is the people losing.

U.S. Inflation Accelerates to Six-Year High, Eroding Wages

mAlice

professional daydreamer
If I may ...

Though these programs are needed, they do not take into account the inflationary effects on income nor are those numbers adjusted proportionality as the value of the dollar falls. Say the threshold for eligibility for SNAP benefits for a family of four caps at $27,000. If that family has an increase of income to $27,700, they no longer qualify and are dropped from the rolls. Yet, inflation has caused the cost of everything else the family pays for to increase, negating their increase in income leaving them actually worse shape because of the loss of purchasing power. The eligibility levels are never increased to reflect the actual levels of inflation. (I'm referring to actual inflation, not the government massaged inflation numbers) If they were to be, there would actually be an increase in food stamp usage. Ever thought you'd see $5.00 a pound for bacon? Hamburger? Notice how now it is standard in many grocery stores to see many products have a big round $5 price label indicating a supposed great deal? If the numbers were ever to be honest coming out of government, there would be an increase of millions more on the food stamp program due to the erosion, and loss of purchasing power, of the US dollar. What you see happening with the food stamp program is not a good thing. It is not winning. It is the people losing.

Start your own thread.

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If I may ...

But wouldn't you agree, if you were able bodied that you should be embarrassed to have to depend on the government to feed your family?

There are places in this country where SNAP, and welfare are generational.. they don't want to do anything better, or anything to better themselves.. Welfare was good enough for my parents, it's good enough for me.

How do you propose we remove those 5 million or so households from the rolls??

itsbob

I bowl overhand
If I may ...

But wouldn't you agree, if you were able bodied that you should be embarrassed to have to depend on the government to feed your family?

There are places in this country where SNAP, and welfare are generational.. they don't want to do anything better, or anything to better themselves.. Welfare was good enough for my parents, it's good enough for me.

luvmygdaughters

This is so true. If you live in a family where the parent(s) work than you are more inclined to follow in your parents lead. Same with those who grow up in a home where the family is living off of government subsidies, if thats what you're used to, you are more inclined to follow in the footsteps. Not saying this is the case in all circumstances, but, it does happen. And before every body jumps down my throat about the elderly and disabled, my father worked until 3 years before his death, he was 78 when he passed away. He was disabled with a bad hip. He worked for an old folks home as a handyman. He never took a penny in government subsidies.

mAlice

professional daydreamer
This is so true. If you live in a family where the parent(s) work than you are more inclined to follow in your parents lead. Same with those who grow up in a home where the family is living off of government subsidies, if thats what you're used to, you are more inclined to follow in the footsteps. Not saying this is the case in all circumstances, but, it does happen. And before every body jumps down my throat about the elderly and disabled, my father worked until 3 years before his death, he was 78 when he passed away. He was disabled with a bad hip. He worked for an old folks home as a handyman. He never took a penny in government subsidies.

I'll probably still be working 3 days after I die. I've made it this far without one, my parents as well. There were plenty of times that we could have gone on the dole, but as long as we were able to put beans and rice on the table, we didn't. The problem with many who are on welfare these days is that they think 1) it's owed to them, 2) they're supposed to have everything that their working peers have, without working for it. I don't mind my tax dollars going to help those truly in need, and still give in other ways, but I have a huge problem with the career moochers.

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

But wouldn't you agree, if you were able bodied that you should be embarrassed to have to depend on the government to feed your family? There are places in this country where SNAP, and welfare are generational.. they don't want to do anything better, or anything to better themselves.. Welfare was good enough for my parents, it's good enough for me. How do you propose we remove those 5 million or so households from the rolls??

Yes I would agree. But that is me, in my current situation. It's one thing to be embarrassed, quite another when it comes to a father/husband having/needing to provide for his family. Sometimes the swallowing of pride is needed. It's those instances that light that fire to do more and to work ones way out of the place they are in. Programs such as these are meant as a hand up, not a hand out. Everyones situation is different. I do not begrudge those that use the program, that through no fault of their own need to. I don't know how to end the abuses.

GregV814

there goes that damned TRUMP....doing what he said....I wonder if OBlama was GOING to do this but nasty old TRUMP stole the idea.....MAGA!!!!

itsbob

I bowl overhand
Public shaming, chain gangs, deportation, hangings? Just brain-storming.

Publishing their names in the local paper every week.. I'd go for that.

If they're illegals getting bennies... deportation?? You Betcha..

Chain Gangs not in the sense of the word.. but if you're able bodied why can't you pick up trash on the side of the road, or perform other civic duties to help the community your getting benefits from??

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
.. but if you're able bodied why can't you pick up trash on the side of the road, or perform other civic duties to help the community your getting benefits from??

:shrug:

wouldn't that just make them County Employees ?