For Those stationed At NAS PAX

USNavyWife

Does anyone know if NAS PAX has sea duty orders for AT's, and/or SEAOPDET? I know there are shore duty orders there...

RangerJohn

Since there are no sea-duty squadrons that deploy there are no Sea Op Det billets for Pax River.... and the only thing that can be considered sea duty is the VQ-4 Det (main part of the squadron is at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma) which is not exactly career enhancing. If you don't mind your spousal unit being in his terminal paygrade with no hope of advancement...then go for it.

Unfortunately, most of the folks who want to homestead at Pax will have to wind up with a billet at Norfolk and commute on the weekends when going to sea duty. Tough break, but I've been a Geo-Bachelor before, and have lived through, and we didn't even think about divorce court either.

Good luck.

USNavyWife

OK Thanks. Well I guess we won't be moving to Maryland this time around. I guess we'll be heading for VA Beach instead (or some place else if he gets accepted into the Seaman To Admiral Program). Thanks for responding everyone!

RangerJohn

Virginia Beach isn't bad, and there is a good mix of sea and shore duty assignments so as to build home equity (why throw away the monies the Navy pays? Take that money and the tax breaks and build a nest egg. The rate of return beats the stock market and any other investment out there.... plus almost all the homes in Va Beach/Chesapeake/Norfolk are selling for more than the owners asking price. I know that for sure....I just bought a home in Chesapeake and am relocating myself! But it is a crazy market there....if you see a home you like, pounce on it, because it will have a contract on it within hours!)

I spent darned near my whole career in San Diego, and retired from the Navy here. Post-Navy jobs and opportunities are better here, but Norfolk/Virginia Beach is better if your career has a few more miles to go.

USNavyWife

Speaking of Chesapeake, that is where we want to move to if we go to VA. It is so hard to do research on places from online. Is southern Chesapeake better? We want a nice quiet neighborhood.

I think my husband plans to stay in the Navy until he retires. I have heard many good things about VA, so I'm pretty excited. If we stay in SD we will never afford a house! So I am excited about getting more house/land there. He starts talking to his detailer in March, so we'll see what happens...

dustin

UAIOE
Originally posted by USNavyWife
Does anyone know if NAS PAX has sea duty orders for AT's, and/or SEAOPDET? I know there are shore duty orders there...

VC-6 at Webster Field. Should be AT billets for UAV Pilots. Not sure if you have to go to Aircrew school for that though.

Should be billets for SEAOPDET at Oceana. Get those if you can and avoid Norfolk AT ALL COSTS!!!!

RangerJohn

I highly recommend finding yourself a good real estate broker and having a loan pre-approved before shopping there. Best bet is to look at schools first, and then figure out an area where you want to live.

As I said, the market there is extremely volatile.....the house I bought had only been on the market for four hours and had two other offers on it, in addition to mine. (Mine won out because I did not ask for a contingency for selling my house, despite the other two bidders offering higher prices for the property.)

Hickory High School is currently the top-rated high school in the Tidewater area, but the Virginia Beach schools of Cox, First Colonial, and Kellam are also good (and Cox is usually the top HS in all of Virginia!)

If you are trying to get to Oceana, try and stay close to NE Chesapeake....because otherwise it will be a hellish-commute and is far worse than anything I experienced commuting from Scripps Ranch to North Island (back in 99!) while in San Diego.

As for avoiding Norfolk and NOB, a ships company billet will put your significant other over the top for the Chief's and LDO selection boards. It worked for me!

Gordon

Chesapeake, VA

I've lived in Chesapeake for 16 years. Right in the middle of the Hickory area. We're moving to Pax for the work. We can't list our house yet because our house in Pax won't be ready for several months. People are bidding on houses in this area. But, you can still find affordable housing in this area. Look into either the Hickory or Great Bridge areas of Chesapeake. We retired here from the Navy and raised 4 kids. We've enjoyed our time here but it is time to move on.

Gordon

Living in Chesapeake

I should have given you guys this link. www.pilotonline.com. It is the Hampton Roads version of SMOD. When you research real estate in this area, the Hickory/Great Bridge area the zips are 23320 and 23322. I'm not a real estate agent so I have nothing to gain by this. Just a retired Senior Chief.

USNavyWife

Thank you so much. You do have one thing to gain though - helping out someone who needs a hand. Congrats on your retirement. I will check out those 2 zip codes. Thanks again.

There are no sea duty billets at Pax River. I was stationed at VX-23 (formerly known as Strike). Before there I was in Virigina beach with the Mighty F-14 Tomcat. Oceania is a cool place. Lots to do whether ur single, married with or without kids. :)