For Yooper

BOP

That sinking feeling when you know the MPs will come by to let you know you're blocking the trail and battalion would like to know if you can move that heap off to the side, even though the MPs themselves appear dubious.

BOP

I remember someone asking if that was a chick driving, and it occurred to me that it's not always a good idea to just stop and ask directions any old where.

Yooper

Up. Identified. Lase. Fire. On the way.
Not sure why I missed this! Those (Russian) tankers! I bet the driver wasn't thrilled (during the event) and none were thrilled with cleaning up the crew compartment later on. Easier in the old days when there wasn't so much sensistive electrical equipment installed inside. Betting they owed the recovery crew copious amounts of vodka....

I didn't do anything quite that bad, but I did manage to throw both tracks of my M60 to the inside going up a draw that was a bit too skinny. The "Missed it by thaaaaaat much!" moment turned into a full day of recovery involving several tanks/crews and an M88. Right idea going up the draw, but bad execution doing so. Took a while to live that one down.

Good times!

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

OK so new in your career .....
There's a reason why a 2LT's and a major's rank insignia is gold in color and not silver like the others: the gold color marks 2LTs and majors as the "kids" of their rank groups (2LTs for company grade, majors for field grade).

As such, one can get away with a whole heck of a lot as an O-1 and O-4 that one can't get away with at other ranks (and did I take advantage of it! Actually dodged what would have been a career-ending letter of reprimand in another incident citing the "butter bar" defense).

--- End of line (MCP)

Last edited:
Reactions: BOP

stgislander

PREMO Member
Not sure why I missed this! Those (Russian) tankers! I bet the driver wasn't thrilled (during the event) and none were thrilled with cleaning up the crew compartment later on. Easier in the old days when there wasn't so much sensistive electrical equipment installed inside. Betting they owed the recovery crew copious amounts of vodka....

I didn't do anything quite that bad, but I did manage to throw both tracks of my M60 to the inside going up a draw that was a bit too skinny. The "Missed it by thaaaaaat much!" moment turned into a full day of recovery involving several tanks/crews and an M88. Right idea going up the draw, but bad execution doing so. Took a while to live that one down.

Good times!

--- End of line (MCP)
Not knowing anything about tank crews, you didn't have a crusty old Sergent in your tank that could foresee the CF coming?

Yooper

Not knowing anything about tank crews, you didn't have a crusty old Sergent in your tank that could foresee the CF coming?
Driver was a young private and would do whatever the TC (tank commander, that was me) said. The loader was too busy zoning (it's what loaders do). And the gunner (yes, a sergeant, but not an old, crusty one) was stuck down in the turret and really couldn't see anything.

"Everybody" thought it was really funny until the hard work of recovery got started. Then, the tone of "Hey, Ell-Tee!" turned a bit harsh. Quite a bit of beer was paid out as a fine.....

Yesh..., good times!

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

Butter Bars ...
It's funny you posted this. I had just finished editing my post above (#7) with this:
As such, one can get away with a whole heck of a lot as an O-1 and O-4 that one can't get away with at other ranks (and did I take advantage of it! Actually dodged what would have been a career-ending letter of reprimand in another incident citing the "butter bar" defense).

--- End of line (MCP)

Yooper

I spent 2.5 yrs on a M-901 ITV
Yup, I remember. So I know you understand the "pain" of throwing both tracks to the inside (and on a vehicle much bigger than an ITV). Busting track on any of them ain't easy, but I'll take a M113-series track job over a tank one any time!

--- End of line (MCP)

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
So I know you understand throwing both tracks to the inside (and on a vehicle much bigger than an ITV).

--- End of line (MCP)

In the 2.5 yrs I spent at Ft Carson, I only saw a track thrown once, and yeah on an M901 .. luckily it did not completely come off, and were able to pop it back on with a tanker bar

What you created was a nightmare ....

If you haven't seen this guy you should enjoy this as a Tanker .........

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCp4j9Y9L6jie44iZroCb99A

Yooper

That sinking feeling when you know the MPs will come by to let you know you're blocking the trail and battalion would like to know if you can move that heap off to the side, even though the MPs themselves appear dubious.
In fact, this cast of characters (a battalion commander (though not mine) and MPs) was at the center of the "butter bar" defense incident I described in Post #7 (above; which was separate from my track throw event).

--- End of line (MCP)

Reactions: BOP