Ford Expedition

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Has anyone had this problem or ever heard of it happening to anyone?

My husband was driving our Expedition home from work last week. All of a sudden he hears this pop followed by alot of rattling and then the truck idle starting messing up. He got home, but since it was dark, he couldn't see what had happened. The next morning, he goes out to take a look and comes back with a spark plug and the cover casing in his hand. I think whew, it's only a spark plug. Then he proceeds to tell me the thing blew out of the head (like a cannon). We take it to the Ford dealer and he confirms, says Ford recommends replacing whole head. My hubby, who was also a mechanic in the army for 8 years, says what about a tap and heli coil. Ford, says we don't recommend that, but later they called us and said they would do it, but couldn't guarantee it wouldn't happen again.

So I do some research and find that it seems to be a common problem with Expeditions and F-150's. Called Ford Motor, they act oblivious, filed a report with NHTSA and see several other complaints describing the exact scenario my hubby described. Some people say it is because the aluminum head only has 4-5 threads to hold the 12 thread spark plugs. I say if that it the case, Ford needs to do a recall.

This sucks, and now we are scared to even step on the gas, for fear we will have to spend another $600- $2700 to fix the other 7 plugs that may or may not blow. Also, my question to Ford is that even if we replace the head, what guarantee do we have that we won't have the same problem. If they don't acknowledge it's a problem, then they haven't fix the head to have more threads, which means the potential for it to happen to a new head is still there.

H

HollowSoul

possible solution......
Go ahead and put in the heli coil...
i think( i may be wrong) you can downgrade the weight of your oil as to reduce the compression..
use lucas oil stabilizer to compensate for the thinner oil...

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
HollowSoul said:
possible solution......
i think( i may be wrong) you can downgrade the weight of your oil as to reduce the compression..

We did go ahead with the heli coli. Thanks for the other info, I will mention it to my hubby.

Last edited:
H

HollowSoul

carolinagirl said:
We did go ahead with the heli coli. Thanks for the other info, I mention it to my hubby.
there is also and ignition upgrade you can do that will allow your valves to open quicker to allow the exaust gas to exit the combustion chamber....
that will also reduce the compression....
and since it is an aluminum head.....and if further damage occurs you will be replacing it anyway....when you do use the helicoil, coat the outside threads with JB weld.....that will help it stay in the head instead of shooting it out also

FastCarsSpeed

Come Play at BigWoodys
Actually most newer vehicles have aluminum heads.. It does happen from time to time that a plug can blow out of the head. Heli coil it and it should be fine. Im sure there are lots of cases of it but when you look at the amount of trucks and suv's ford has on the road you would prolly see the percetage isnt all that high. BTW: have you ever replaced the plugs in the truck before this? sometimes a plug will work loose after a certain amount of miles and then pow will shoot out of the cylinder cause as you have seen there really isnt alot threads holding that puppy in there. I remove and look at my plugs ever other oil change.

Pete

Repete
HollowSoul said:
possible solution......
I think that compression is derrived from the stroke of the piston. Oil would make no difference in how close the piston gets to the head.

HollowSoul said:
....when you do use the helicoil, coat the outside threads with JB weld.....that will help it stay in the head instead of shooting it out also
If you JB weld the heli coil into the head and you ever strip the threads putting inthe plug you would have to remove the head and drill out the hole to remove the damaged helicoil. I would imagine the proper helicoil would work ok without JB weld.

K

Kizzy

I have a question ~ for those like Pete and HS who actually have proven they have a clue what they are talking about. Does this seem odd for a vehicle that is merely 3 years old with 65,000 miles on it? 65,000 miles just isn't an incredible amount of milage on today's vehicles. I just think CG should be somewhat ticked off that this occurred. I considered a Ford Expedition when I bought my Suburban, but after reading tons and tons of reviews, I clearly leaned towards the Suburban.

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
Kizzy said:
I have a question ~ for those like Pete and HS who actually have proven they have a clue what they are talking about. Does this seem odd for a vehicle that is merely 3 years old with 65,000 miles on it? 65,000 miles just isn't an incredible amount of milage on today's vehicles. I just think CG should be somewhat ticked off that this occurred. I considered a Ford Expedition when I bought my Suburban, but after reading tons and tons of reviews, I clearly leaned towards the Suburban.
Not that it means much of anything, but back in 96 or 97 my mom bought a 96 Thunderbird. About 3 years later the engine blew and Ford refused to fix it. Ever since, I've steered clear of Ford. :shrug:

Pete

Repete
Kizzy said:
Yea, I would be pretty bent about it. Spark plugs are not supposed to "shoot" out. Then I would be really bent if Ford "suggested" a head replacment on my dime for their engineering failure. You never know, it might just be a fluke and never happen again, but then again it might.

carolinagirl

What's it 2 U
Pete said:
Yea, I would be pretty bent about it. Spark plugs are not supposed to "shoot" out. Then I would be really bent if Ford "suggested" a head replacment on my dime for their engineering failure. You never know, it might just be a fluke and never happen again, but then again it might.

This is exactly how I felt, which is why I called Ford Motor Customer Service, but of course that is like talking to a brick wall. I said if it is a design flaw, what can you do to help me fix it. They said the will note the complaint and will pay for part of the repairs if the service manager at the dealer recommended it, but by this time my husband had picked up the truck and paid for the repair, so I doubt they will give us a refund.

I am still tick and don't think I will let this ride just yet.

I said I could see if it was a maintenance issue, but I know my husband takes great care of our vehicles and does the routine servicing and all. Besides Ford states the spark plugs are good for 100,000 miles, so this in my opinion is definitely a design flaw.