Foreign Language vs. Programming Language

stgislander

PREMO Member
We don't really have a sub-folder for Education so I put this here.

I'm not sure I agree with this. I believe a well rounded education should involve some minimal exposure to foreign languages. Besides, I figure tech oriented kids are going to take programming courses anyway.

limblips

I believe it was St Mary's where American Sign Language would meet the requirement for a second language. May no longer be true but I think it should be.

SamSpade

At first blush it does strike me as dumb but for this --

How many people EVER remember the Spanish, French or whatever language they took in high school - even if they took FOUR YEARS of it?

On the other hand - taking a programming language when you don't intend to ever work with computers has about the same result.
But it's a great idea IF you plan to use computers and there's not an option in high school for learning Java or Python or C++ and so forth.

Chris0nllyn

0s & 1s. Shouldn't be too hard to figure out.

Eh, sort of. You're programming the controller to do things with 0s and 1s based on inputs, but the language is a bit more complicated as you have to map things, learn syntax, expressions, functions, math, etc.

Given the prevelance of embedded systems (everything has a controller in it now. Washing Machines, Fridges, etc.) and how companies are increasing the use of robotics/automation like ordering kiosks at McD's, or robots in manufacturing, etc. I think this is a good option for kids who are interested in it.

Having completed both foreign language and programming language courses, both have been helpful through various times in my life.

stgislander

PREMO Member
At first blush it does strike me as dumb but for this --

How many people EVER remember the Spanish, French or whatever language they took in high school - even if they took FOUR YEARS of it?

I have to say I still remember some of my high school French

BernieP

Resident PIA
Take this from a professional with years of experience. Teaching a programing language is not that difficult, know one you more or less know them all. What's important is the mathmatics and a set of thinking skills so that you are solving a problem, not fitting a problem into your narrow skill set.

Foreign language requirement and a programming language are not mutually exclusive, I did both, the foreign language credits were done first, that opened up "elective" classes which I choose to do a programming language.

Same can be said of music, it helps to develop the brain, a well rounded education.

Latin will always be Latin, but the programming languge you take in HS may not exist in 5 years, the latest tool will come out.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Having completed both foreign language and programming language courses, both have been helpful through various times in my life.

That was my sarcastic reply to the OP.

As someone that is bilingual and also worked as a programmer on DOD projects, I'd have to say comparing the 2 is apples & oranges. But I agree, both skills can be very valuable in life.

Latin will always be Latin, but the programming languge you take in HS may not exist in 5 years, the latest tool will come out.
I agree with this. I learned COBOL, FORTRAN, BASIC, doubt there is very much call for these today, maybe FORTRAN for scientific applications. In any case, I'm sure I couldn't code any of it anymore. But I remember my French language.

black dog

Free America
That was my sarcastic reply to the OP.

As someone that is bilingual and also worked as a programmer on DOD projects, I'd have to say comparing the 2 is apples & oranges. But I agree, both skills can be very valuable in life.
Hey Shellback, were you bi before or after you crossed The Line?

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
I believe it was St Mary's where American Sign Language would meet the requirement for a second language. May no longer be true but I think it should be.

It was in Frederick County - that was my daughter's language requirement.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
I agree with this. I learned COBOL, FORTRAN, BASIC, doubt there is very much call for these today, maybe FORTRAN for scientific applications. In any case, I'm sure I couldn't code any of it anymore. But I remember my French language.
You would be surprised. I worked on a project for DFAS. They have a couple of millions lines of COBOL in those programs. I last worked on that project in 2012, having started on it in 1995 while I was still on active duty. The programs work and it would be costly to migrate over so they left it as is.

BTW, that project was the lone PAX River area victim of the last BRAC of the early 200s. DFAS consolidated the PAX unit and moved it to Indy. Tons of junior programmers got their start on that project. It was a springboard for a lot of people after they graduated with their CS degree. Hundreds of PAX area GS types & contractors have left their fingerprints on those programs in the 3+ decades that NIFMS/DIFMS/NIMMS/ABOM has been around.

I know of 1 other forum member that worked on those projects. I wonder if there are any others out there on these boards.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

I'm a step ahead of ya, GW. Not only have I forgotten how to code in FORTRAN and BASIC (something I once did a lot of..), I've forgotten most of the Spanish I learned too.

black dog

Free America
I'm a step ahead of ya, GW. Not only have I forgotten how to code in FORTRAN and BASIC (something I once did a lot of..), I've forgotten most of the Spanish I learned too.
I spoke it almost daily for 9 years, nowdays I might be able the order a cold beer and a dirty pros,,,,,,,,,