Former Pastor to Atheist

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Midnightrider said:
:eyebrow:

you won't even look at the link provided to you b/c you "recognize poor motives when 'you' see it"

how can you recognize anythng you admit you haven't looked at, you are prejudice b/c of the source and your mind is not "open" to the idea
therefore your mind is closed

Ah, but I have read the quotes provided. They exhibit someone with a rant and not a rational argument. As a freethinker, I prefer to digest rational presented ideas. I can link you to a dozen websites that use the same old arguments against Christianity. There is nothing new offered other than this persons irrational presentation of his emotional state towards Christianity. I also don't read Pat Robertson's rants because they are also not rational arguments for or against an idea. That is the beauty of being able to think; being able to filter information for what is relevant and what isn't.

And again, what is the mindset I have that I am trying to protect? You didn't really answer that? What am I "afraid" of having challenged?

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
supersurfer said:
Can't we all? I've seen his tripe before.

Now, where exactly on your link does JPH refute anything that Barker had posted in my link? All I see is where he is trying to refute Barkers book, which wasn't included in my link.

Why is it so hard for Christians to admit that they believe in some mystical, hocus pocus shiat?

Why don't you ask a Christian?

Midnightrider

for the record, while i have some issues with taking things completely on faith, especially something as important as the religion i may live my life by, i don't feel that christianity is hocus pocus shiat!

Midnightrider

FromTexas said:
Ah, but I have read the quotes provided. They exhibit someone with a rant and not a rational argument. As a freethinker, I prefer to digest rational presented ideas. I can link you to a dozen websites that use the same old arguments against Christianity. There is nothing new offered other than this persons irrational presentation of his emotional state towards Christianity. I also don't read Pat Robertson's rants because they are also not rational arguments for or against an idea. That is the beauty of being able to think; being able to filter information for what is relevant and what isn't.

And again, what is the mindset I have that I am trying to protect? You didn't really answer that? What am I "afraid" of having challenged?

you say right here that you haven't looked at the link

Originally Posted by FromTexas
I don't need to read your link. I recognize poor motives when I see it.

and i don't know what you are afraid of having challenged, i just stated that your mind is closed to the idea being proffered by supersurfer as is evidenced by the fact you won't even look at his link.

Hell, i looked at hessian's gay hate link and THEN decided that it was hateful and useless, it didn't change the way i felt about the subject one bit. I was "open" to the new idea, but rejected it once i had digested it.

FromTexas

This Space for Rent
Midnightrider said:
you say right here that you haven't looked at the link

and i don't know what you are afraid of having challenged, i just stated that your mind is closed to the idea being proffered by supersurfer as is evidenced by the fact you won't even look at his link.

Hell, i looked at hessian's gay hate link and THEN decided that it was hateful and useless, it didn't change the way i felt about the subject one bit. I was "open" to the new idea, but rejected it once i had digested it.

How is that different than what i did by reading the lengthy quotes provided by surfer? As a freethinker, I do not need to read everything in existence to make a rational opinion. That wouldn't be... rational. It is hardly an effort to recognize Barker's mindset and ability to give me rational food for though through the lengthy quotes provided. He is not a rational actor. He is a person with an emotion led mission. Why is he on the mission? Only he really knows and I could care less.