FOUND: Surveillance Footage Captures Images of St. Mary's Woman Before She Went Missing On Hike in Hawaii

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
Maui Now has received reports from volunteer search organizers that Amanda Eller has been found alive about five to seven miles from the Makawao Forest base camp site, close to Twin Falls in the Haʻikū forest, deep in a gulch.

Shortly before 5:15 p.m., team leader Chris Berquist spoke to us via phone saying, "We found her alive and well. She just got delivered to the heliport and is on her way to the hospital... she is walking and healthy. She was just very lost."

Berquist said he was conducting an air search along with Javier Cantellops and Troy Helmer (one of the hunters assisting) and were up in a helicopter when they spotted Eller.

https://mauinow.com/2019/05/24/amanda-eller-possibly-found-in-forest-alive/

So I just read some other stuff on the internet about this story and boy are they nasty. They're calling it fake news, publicity stunt for her yoga business, needed two weeks away, carrying on an affair with a local, etc etc.

That's a hell of a lot to put yourself through for some publicity for a local Yoga studio. I guess in their minds people are going to come from all over the world to practice yoga in Mechanicsville.

Humans sure can be unbelievably nasty sometimes.

Tell me about it. Not long ago, a user post from the forums made it thru to FB. Some small-minded boob totally misinterpreted what the user had posted and further assumed that we, somd.com had posted it. She promptly went about trying to stir up a rage against somd.com on FB and was even emailing our sponsors in the wee hours of the morning. After some other FB user calmly explained to the mob that somd.com didn't post it and we posted a note saying that even had it been negative as incorrectly assumed, we would stand by the user's right to post, because we're not in the censorship business. After that Ms. Hysterical even Liked our post. Gee, thanks!

MiddleGround

I'll be interested in finding out the circumstances of how she got into the situation. All the story really says is that she lost her shoes and was eating plants. Glad they found her though.

officeguy

What tends to mess people up is that they rely on the mapping app on their phone for navigation. With data connectivity very good in most locations, many don't realize that the mapping app is dependent on data connectivity and fails quickly after the network is lost or re-gresses to a non-data level. If you go in the back-country, you should take a GPS with pre-loaded maps for the territory you are venturing into as well as some form of paper map.

Last edited:

Grumpy

So I just read some other stuff on the internet about this story and boy are they nasty. They're calling it fake news, publicity stunt for her yoga business, needed two weeks away, carrying on an affair with a local, etc etc. Humans sure can be unbelievably nasty sometimes.

Not to be nasty, cause I think you are honest in your opinions, but shouldn't you have left a link to where you 'read some other stuff on the internet'? Was it the Russians that called it fake news? DU saying she needed 2 weeks off? Free Republic saying she was having an affair? Or is Q involved?

TCROW

What tends to mess people up is that they rely on the mapping app on their phone for navigation. With data connectivity very good in most locations, many don't realize that the mapping app is dependent on data connectivity and fails quickly after the network is lost or re-gresses to a non-data level. If you go in the back-country, you should take a GPS with pre-loaded maps for the territory you are venturing into as well as some form of paper map.

Google maps allow you to locally cache maps on all smartphone platforms these days. It’s much easier to keep a GPS signal than it is data signal, which will keep you covered. It expires periodically and you just have to tell your phone to freshen it up. Another positive is that you’re not killing your battery by constantly using data.

I carry a paper map, if available, as well as a good compass when I venture out.

Goldenhawk

Google maps allow you to locally cache maps on all smartphone platforms these days. It’s much easier to keep a GPS signal than it is data signal, which will keep you covered. It expires periodically and you just have to tell your phone to freshen it up. Another positive is that you’re not killing your battery by constantly using data.
I just finished a multi-day hike in a national park where there is zero cell coverage (which is true of quite a few large national parks out west, by the way). Offline Google Maps is a wonderful feature if you know how to use it, but it does have some limitations - you can't download offline satellite photos, only the normal "regular" map view, and you don't have a lot of control over the maximum zoom it will download. But as long as you know what you're doing, it does work very well.

WheezyCarl

Really? Yinz are going to argue about maps, coverage, etc????? Amanda was found alive!!! Can we just celebrate this fact?? Sorry that there is no drama involved, we know that some of you thrive on that BS. WELCOME HOME AMANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
I’m glad she was found alive, no matter the circumstances. As for the phone, I thought I read a news report that she had left it in the car. If so, her cell GPS had no bearing in this.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Really? Yinz are going to argue about maps, coverage, etc????? Amanda was found alive!!! Can we just celebrate this fact?? Sorry that there is no drama involved, we know that some of you thrive on that BS. WELCOME HOME AMANDA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I’m glad she was found alive, no matter the circumstances. As for the phone, I thought I read a news report that she had left it in the car. If so, her cell GPS had no bearing in this.

Why is this story so controversial? Never mind. Everything these days is controversial. I agree with y’all. Move on, or something like that. Glad she survived. It made me think of the shows Survivor and Naked and Afraid.. She just lived it, irl. Go, Amanda!

Last edited:

officeguy

Mauinow has an interview with her from the hospital bed. Yes, I'll say it, I get a really odd vibe from this story. There is a little bit more than 'little girl gets lost in the woods' going on.
I wish her well.

Grumpy

Yes, I'll say it, I get a really odd vibe from this story. There is a little bit more than 'little girl gets lost in the woods' going on.
I wish her well.

Could you expand on this?? After watching the interview, I see nothing odd about her expressing her gratitude and being amazed at the coming together of people helping with the search and supplying funds.

officeguy

Could you expand on this?? After watching the interview, I see nothing odd about her expressing her gratitude and being amazed at the coming together of people helping with the search and supplying funds.

Probably just the weird way how folks in California and Hawaii express themselves. Odd nevertheless.

I am glad she had such a spiritual experience. Pretty sure the cops and firemen who spent 3 days trudging through the jungle looking for her would have preferred to spend time with their families rather than doing overtime.

She had a pack with a water bottle and a cellphone in the car. Why she decided to go off in sneakers , tank top and yoga pants is a question only she knows the answer to.

Again, I wish her well. It'll take a while for the broken tibia and the skin breakdown to heal.