Fox 5 Liberals in St Marys Aghast at local drivers

zar

Theist
Probably have spent 30 minutes on this spot and they are absolutely shocked tractor trailers drivers are crossing the flood water and gasp not wearing masks in their Vehicles

Also they were shocked that the government wasn’t blocking the road

Now some moron is stuck and we’re the embarrassment of the metropolitan area . I expect the city council will block every road with as much as a puddle in the future and raise our taxes to pay for it due to this embarrassment

zar

Theist
They should’ve left the trees down until the water went down.
I say let them roll, it shouldn’t be their job to protect people from their stupidity. The trucks were getting through fine, the people driving small cars ruined it for them

awpitt

Main Streeter
Probably have spent 30 minutes on this spot and they are absolutely shocked tractor trailers drivers are crossing the flood water and gasp not wearing masks in their Vehicles

Now some moron is stuck and we’re the embarrassment of the metropolitan area . I expect the city council will block every road with as much as a puddle in the future and raise our taxes to pay for it due to this embarrassment

St. Mary's County has a city council?

glhs837

Power with Control
I say let them roll, it shouldn’t be their job to protect people from their stupidity. The trucks were getting through fine, the people driving small cars ruined it for them

The two trucks I saw video of on SMnewsnet out near Chaptico Market were a bit stupid. Water was about 3/4 up the tires, but moving pretty fast. All it would have taken was one washed out chunk of road or tree floating across and you're off the road in 4-6 deep and needing rescue.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The two trucks I saw video of on SMnewsnet out near Chaptico Market were a bit stupid. Water was about 3/4 up the tires, but moving pretty fast. All it would have taken was one washed out chunk of road or tree floating across and you're off the road in 4-6 deep and needing rescue.

I think a couple cars got washed out in Hughesville.

BernieP

Resident PIA
Bad enough driving through standing water, but when It's flowing, it can be damn dangerous.
Problem is, people think water, no big deal, but they don't have experience driving in it and know how to handle it properly.
Slow and steady and don't forget you have soaked your brakes, so don't take off like a bat out of hell because you may not have full braking capacity until you lose the water.
Good rule of thumb, your exhaust should not touch the water, either.

mitzi

Bad enough driving through standing water, but when It's flowing, it can be damn dangerous.
Problem is, people think water, no big deal, but they don't have experience driving in it and know how to handle it properly.
Slow and steady and don't forget you have soaked your brakes, so don't take off like a bat out of hell because you may not have full braking capacity until you lose the water.

Myself not only being scared of being trapped, I wouldn't even try it because of the damage it could do to my vehicle. I don't have to go anywhere that bad.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
Beyond that most flood water isn't very clear so you can't see if the road still exists. About 2/3 of all flash flooding deaths occur to people in vehicles that get swept away while attempting to drive through a flooded area. It might sound corny, but Turn Around Don't Drown™.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Beyond that most flood water isn't very clear so you can't see if the road still exists. About 2/3 of all flash flooding deaths occur to people in vehicles that get swept away while attempting to drive through a flooded area. It might sound corny, but Turn Around Don't Drown™.
:yeahthat:
I've driven through there when the tide forced water over the road, but if I can't see the lines on the road I turn around and take an alternate route.

glhs837

Power with Control
:yeahthat:
I've driven through there when the tide forced water over the road, but if I can't see the lines on the road I turn around and take an alternate route.

Yep, slow moving water where you can be sure whats happening underneath, thats a different story. I distinctly remember watching video of a woman being washed to the side of a road, just like those pickups in the SMNEWSNET video were. Her vehicle went to about 75-80 degrees drivers side up. Water was flowing up and over......

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Yep, slow moving water where you can be sure whats happening underneath, thats a different story. I distinctly remember watching video of a woman being washed to the side of a road, just like those pickups in the SMNEWSNET video were. Her vehicle went to about 75-80 degrees drivers side up. Water was flowing up and over......

Yep, sure don't want to be in a situation like that, ever.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I had a co-worker, Mr Stick up His ass. that decided to cross a "dry riverbed" in Arizona during monsoon season.
He had some splaining to do Lucy
Best part is this dick couldn't drive a stick and when we were in Europe he was stuck at a light.
He wouldn't let me drive because - "the rules".