FOX to launch 24/7 sports network

DipStick

Keep Calm and Don't Care!
Reader's Digest version: Next Summer, FOX will pull the plug on SPEED and relaunch it to FOX Sports 1, a competitor to ESPN and NBCSN. FOX is selling the idea to sports leagues in the sense that they challenged NBC and CBS after launching a broadcast net in the 1980s and that they challenged CNN with FNC after launching in 1996 (though FNC is now under serious attack from MSNBC).

SPEED already airs NASCAR, ARCA and UFC. ARCA signed a deal a few weeks ago that would keep their programming on FOX. NASCAR's Truck races and exhibition races will also air on FOX Sports 1. UFC will continue to air on FOX.

But what is currently SPEED, and will be relaunched, will begin airing Major League Baseball, College Football, College Basketball and more. As of now, the only thing FOX/SPEED has lost is Formula One racing which is going to NBC Sports Network and NBC TV. I'd expect them to start pulling the plug on airing dirt races and GA/ALMS. NBC, CBS and MavTV will pick up the dirt races and ABC will air GA/ALMS.

The other thing FOX has sold sports leagues on is the undeniable fact that ESPN has a New York/New England bias.

FOX Sports 1 should launch around July (I have this on good authority). It will be an interesting dynamic.

Last edited:

DipStick

A couple things I think will happen. News-Corp is smart. I think they're going to move NASCAR and ARCA over to FUEL TV to get that network on more cable providers. In 2001, FOX starting airing NASCAR races on FX, which resulted in cable providers putting FX on basic cable.

I think they'll end up relaunching FOX Soccer and FUEL TV in to FOX Sports 2 and FOX Sports 3.

DipStick

Official announcement was today. SPEED relaunching as FOX Sports 1 on August 17th. FOX Sports 1 will carry MLB, NASCAR, College Football as well as NFL programming and highlight shows.

DipStick

When FS1 launches, they'll be carrying UFC matches weekly, NASCAR Camping World Truck Series racing, UEFA Champions League Soccer, college sports, ARCA Racing, NASCAR K&N Series, sports highlight shows, extensive NFL and NASCAR programming.

In 2014, FS1 will pick up MLB baseball, Daytona 500 Pole Qualifying, The Sprint Unlimited and the Budweiser Duel qualifying races for the Daytona 500 (in primetime).

In 2015, FS1 picks up the NASCAR Sprint Cup Series.

DipStick

FOX Sports will also launch the "FOX Sports GO" which will have internet streaming of FOX Sports 1 programming as well as FOX Sports regional programming - will also be on Apple and Android devices.

Side-by-Side coverage will be the norm on FOX Sports 1. That is the format in which ABC airs commercials during the Indianapolis 500 along side the race instead of cutting to full screen commercials. FOX has done this with the Daytona 500 for two years now.