Foxes

NextJen

Raisin cane
Was hearing a barking type of a howl coming from my backyard that was driving my dogs nuts. Thought it might be a coyote so I didn't let my pups out even in the fenced yard. I recorded it and did a little Youtube research. Apparently it is a warning bark of a fox to alert their pups or other foxes of danger. Thankfully not a coyote. I couldn't attach my home video for some reason (technologically challenged), but the first barks you hear in this video is exactly what I heard.

NextJen

Raisin cane
I first thought someones dog was stuck out there with their leash wrapped around a tree or something. Then I thought coyote - saw one a few years back but not since. But I have seen foxes and it sounded exactly like the first set in the video.
Now screech owls, that's creepy!

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
A fox comes out of the woods and hangs around the shop and our house and barks most nights. Aggravating...have to get up and go throw a stone at him (her?...more likely since it won't shut up. ;-p ) to get him to knock it off.

littlelady

God bless the USA
I just hope that there are enough foxes still living; hunted for sport, and all. My dog barks, too, and she is up to date on her rabies. It will be a sad day when wildlife sounds are gone.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
I just hope that there are enough foxes still living; hunted for sport, and all.

If anything the fox population is too large around here and has been for years.....and very few hunt them any more. Fox hunting used to be a fairly big deal back in the 60s and 70s where I grew up in central MD. But very, very few foxes were ever killed in the events and the open spaces required for the sport are almost all gone now.

littlelady

God bless the USA
If anything the fox population is too large around here and has been for years.....and very few hunt them any more. Fox hunting used to be a fairly big deal back in the 60s and 70s where I grew up in central MD. But very, very few foxes were ever killed in the events and the open spaces required for the sport are almost all gone now.

Thanks. I didn’t know that. I ain’t from around here, originally. I am a reluctant navigator. :lol: I always heard about the Fox Hunts. Hope your trip overseas is going well. Take care over there. :)

Edit: What was the purpose of fox hunts? Do people eat fox meat, or was it to prove who’s dog was better? The humans were all dressed up, and riding their horses, and never got their hands dirty. Sorry, y’all, but I read so much about the near extinction of animals. It makes me sad. I never met a creature I didn’t like; whether they eat my hostas, bark, bite me, or fly or hang around my house. Live, and let live. Nite nite.

Last edited:

lucky_bee

RBF expert
Edit: What was the purpose of fox hunts? Do people eat fox meat, or was it to prove who’s dog was better? The humans were all dressed up, and riding their horses, and never got their hands dirty. Sorry, y’all, but I read so much about the near extinction of animals. It makes me sad. I never met a creature I didn’t like; whether they eat my hostas, bark, bite me, or fly or hang around my house. Live, and let live. Nite nite.

Fox hunting is more from England/Wales/Scotland...although it is now illegal over there as they were overhunted. foxes were sought after for their furs and for the sport of it/the social ritual. It was something rich people enjoyed doing to entertain guests. Traditionally packs of dogs were used, which I believe is now one of the main reasons it was outlawed, because of the use of dogs to hunt with, specifically a "pack" of dogs (I think if you just took one dog, it's different?). Furs were removed, carcuses left for the hounds as a reward. They do have hunts that still take place, but they're all registered packs and hunt under the guise of legal fox control or hunting trails - all with very specific rules and regualtions, I'm sure.

Foxes are actually incredicbly difficult to hunt though, from what I've gathered. And it's not practiced very much in the US although there are registered hound packs for the sport. They all have very specific rules for hunting the foxes though.

So, no worries. Foxes won't become extinct any time soon and humans get plenty dirty hunting for other stuff.

littlelady

God bless the USA
Fox hunting is more from England/Wales/Scotland...although it is now illegal over there as they were overhunted. foxes were sought after for their furs and for the sport of it/the social ritual. It was something rich people enjoyed doing to entertain guests. Traditionally packs of dogs were used, which I believe is now one of the main reasons it was outlawed, because of the use of dogs to hunt with, specifically a "pack" of dogs (I think if you just took one dog, it's different?). Furs were removed, carcuses left for the hounds as a reward. They do have hunts that still take place, but they're all registered packs and hunt under the guise of legal fox control or hunting trails - all with very specific rules and regualtions, I'm sure.

Foxes are actually incredicbly difficult to hunt though, from what I've gathered. And it's not practiced very much in the US although there are registered hound packs for the sport. They all have very specific rules for hunting the foxes though.

So, no worries. Foxes won't become extinct any time soon and humans get plenty dirty hunting for other stuff.

Thanks for the info.

littlelady

God bless the USA

Thanks for the info.

Had a fox yipping about 3am last night, woke me up. It was pretty close, probably on my property.

Many years ago I heard the same cry, the ex and I went out to investigate as many dogs had gotten caught on branches in our woods. Surprised to see a red fox.

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
Once watched a deer chase a fox away from where I assumed she had a fawn. Deer would stomp and snort, fox would run a few feet and turn around and bark. Went on for over 400 ft along a wood line. Fascinating to watch.

Grumpy

Had a golf fan fox follow my 4some for 4 holes Thursday..Would lay down and watch from 50 yds away, then follow us for our next shots, keeping 40 to 50 yds away and sitting or laying down watching until we moved on again. On 18 he left us to chase some geese.

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
I've got at least two around my place in leonardtown.

There is an overabundance of rabbit and ground hogs here so the hunting must be great.

jazz lady

~*~ Rara Avis ~*~
PREMO Member
Made me think of this: