Free College

Chasey_Lane

Salt Life
http://money.cnn.com/2015/01/08/pf/...ex.html?sr=fbmoney010815obamacollege0700story

:patriot:

Free education "for those willing to work for it."

That's what President Obama said he would like to see in an announcement the White House posted to Facebook and Vine on Thursday.

He's proposing to make the first two years of community college free.

"Everyone understands that education is the key to success for our kids in the 21st century, but what we also understand is that it's not just for kids. We also have to make sure that everyone has the opportunity to constantly train themselves for better jobs, better wages and better benefits," the president said.

But it would require both the federal government and the states to split the tab. States would have the option to participate.

Rommey

If every state participated, the proposal could help 9 million students and save those enrolled full-time an average of $3,800 a year, according to the White House.
Where's that $34B gonna come from?

Hijinx

Obama has been losing the support of the younger crowd. This is just another shot at getting that support back, at our expense.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
America. Land of the free.

Free healthcare
Free college
Free housing
Free utilities
Free food
Free daycare
Free phone
Free stuff

getbent

Thats how them b*tch's R
Well that sucks it's only the first 2 years. Any 2 years would benefit me!! Oh well, :ohwell:

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Where's that $34B gonna come from?

He already said:

"But it would require both the federal government and the states to split the tab."

So it's not free at all, unless you consider all taxpayer funded entitlements to be "free".

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Obama has been losing the support of the younger crowd. This is just another shot at getting that support back, at our expense.

The problem is that you give them 2 "free" years at community college, they're going to bitch because they can't get a "free" ride at Harvard or Georgetown. Those who graduate from a top university are going to go on to outearn the CC crowd and that's just not.....fair.

PeoplesElbow

I would say that half of the students that start college never finish, I think community college is even worse because as Chris Rock says "They call it a community college because they let they whole community in, its like a disco with books"

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Says the net taker. The only thing you know how to do is live at others' expense.

You immediately lose your argument when you say things like that. A retirement pension that one has earned is not the same as getting something for free. That has been explained to you over and over, yet still you remain stuck on stupid.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
You immediately lose your argument when you say things like that. A retirement pension that one has earned is not the same as getting something for free. That has been explained to you over and over, yet still you remain stuck on stupid.

Thanks prof. Krugman.

I'm very interested in your newsletter, and will consider a subscription.

Larry Gude

Strung Out
The problem is that you give them 2 "free" years at community college, they're going to bitch because they can't get a "free" ride at Harvard or Georgetown. Those who graduate from a top university are going to go on to outearn the CC crowd and that's just not.....fair.

Ok, but, those Harvard and G'town grads, a lot of them, are not getting theirs 'fairly'. They go on to become connected and, if you work on Wall Street or in medicine, you don't have to go out and earn a dime in the marketplace. You use government power to just take it from the general public. The ACA is nothing more than taking. TARP was nothing more than taking. If you work in education, your money is taken from the community for public school and, for school that loans are available for, government loans to people who can't get loans from people who expect to be paid back, that is taking the publics money.

If you look at 'free' community college, it's simply more of the same; taking public money and giving it to the favored, in this case community colleges, as a constituent reward. ANY dime spent by the government is 'free' to whomever gets it be it some stoner who wants to go to 13th and 14th grade or some exec or doctor or contractor or car maker or union member or SS recipient. It is simply a matter of 'did that expenditure promote the general welfare?" The test of that is whether or not you got yours.

You're a small business person and what you do sinks or swims on you and your partner alone. Every day. You gotta earn it and keep earning it. That's not how big business, big government works.

If there was no government backing of loans, GSE's, be it school or home loans, no backing of Wall Street bets gone bad, no unions getting theirs after refusing to bow to market pressures, no government involvement in the day to day of health care, if every one and everything was out their competing on a level playing field, refereed by the government, then, we're not having this conversation. But, anyone who thinks that it is fine getting all you can get from the government has a LOT of company, not least of which are our 'betters' with the big name degrees.

There is nothing wrong with government addressing problems as long as it is doing so in promoting the general welfare. Handing kids two more years of high school is, arguably, promoting the general welfare a lot more than handing big banks and insurers guarantees to the next big bonus regardless of performance.

We refuse to scale anything back so, naturally, everyone is gonna wanna get 'paid'. The rich and powerful do.

Hijinx

This so-called Free college is pretty much a waste for a lot of people.
A person with a 2.0 grade average is not an over-achiever in the first place.
I doubt they will get much out of the additional 2 years , ----IF they finish.

Of course there will be a few who had really good grades and should probably have gotten a scholarship, but they were white or their parents had a little too much income or they weren't Basketball stars and they didn't get a scholarship, and to these the effort may be worth it.

Maybe it is worthwhile to try this for a while and see how it works.
Problem with that is once a Government program starts it only grows, they never end no matter how bad they are.

Christy

b*tch rocket
I actually think we should invest in education, but not what he is proposing. A countries most valuable asset is its people. Smarter people = a much better society. We are already having to import individuals for high tech jobs because we simply don't have enough qualified Americans. I think it should be a gov't and private industry partnership for education. I'm completely fine with paying for someone's education if it is going to benefit me in the end, and this is how private industry should be thinking. Also, only areas of need should be paid for (scientists, engineers etc). If you want to get a PhD in pop culture and woman's studies, do that on your own dime.

Hijinx

I actually think we should invest in education, but not what he is proposing. A countries most valuable asset is its people. Smarter people = a much better society. We are already having to import individuals for high tech jobs because we simply don't have enough qualified Americans. I think it should be a gov't and private industry partnership for education. I'm completely fine with paying for someone's education if it is going to benefit me in the end, and this is how private industry should be thinking. Also, only areas of need should be paid for (scientists, engineers etc). If you want to get a PhD in pop culture and woman's studies, do that on your own dime.

I would like to see a High School for students with superior records,where they would not be held up by teachers having to teach to the lowest student in the class.
A High School where students headed for College could get more preparation.

The problem of course is that claims of discrimination would soon close it.

LibertyBeacon

Unto dust we shall return
I would like to see a High School for students with superior records,where they would not be held up by teachers having to teach to the lowest student in the class.
A High School where students headed for College could get more preparation.

We call that private school or homeschooling.

You want government schooling? Then you are going to have to put up with idiots like yourself.