Free Masons

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Been trying to find out more about this organization, and for several years I've been pondering the option of joining...

Was wondering if the info contained in the pro-mason website is the real deal... if someone who is a member can simply confirm or deny it. And I'm also curious as to whether members really feel that it's worth the financial obligations to join.

Mainly trying to figure out whether it would compromise my Christian beliefs to join.

linkage: http://www.masonicinfo.com/primer.htm

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
kwillia said:
You've mentioned some cons... what are the pros of joining...:shrug:
Don't know... :confused: ...I like the networking aspect of it. A lot of great minds on their member list too. I kinda wonder if it's a bit like MENSA - more of just a "common bond" than anything.

sleuth said:
Don't know... :confused: ...I like the networking aspect of it. A lot of great minds on their member list too. I kinda wonder if it's a bit like MENSA - more of just a "common bond" than anything.
Scientology has some big names associated as well, but that isn't a reason to join. :shrug:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
kwillia said:
Scientology has some big names associated as well, but that isn't a reason to join. :shrug:
But Scientology, as I understand it... is a bit more of a religion.
The Masons claim to endorse no religion - they just don't allow atheists.

Nickel said:
Those mofo's are crazy. :crazy:
Ed Zachary... but I'm sure there are dudes that decide to join just because the want to "network"... I'm just saying...:ohwell:

Sleuth, do you have to pass a test to get in...:confused:

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
sleuth said:
But Scientology, as I understand it... is a bit more of a religion.
The Masons claim to endorse no religion - they just don't allow atheists.
But seriously, what would you get out of it? You're thinking about marriage, and will have a family, right? Wouldn't the financial obligation of being a freemason be better spent on your family? You only get one life, why spend it trying to impress others?

Nickel

curiouser and curiouser
kwillia said:
Ed Zachary... but I'm sure there are dudes that decide to join just because the want to "network"... I'm just saying...:ohwell:
I read an article today about Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise...apparantly she's Catholic, and he's crazy...I really hope that sweet girl doesn't turn crazy too. :ohwell:

Nickel said:
I read an article today about Katie Holmes and Tom Cruise...apparantly she's Catholic, and he's crazy...I really hope that sweet girl doesn't turn crazy too. :ohwell:
I heard it's catching... peace be with her...:twitch:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
Nickel said:
But seriously, what would you get out of it? You're thinking about marriage, and will have a family, right? Wouldn't the financial obligation of being a freemason be better spent on your family? You only get one life, why spend it trying to impress others?
Right now... and for a long time, it's been more of a curiousity thing.
But as I said, I do like the networking aspect of it. And the fact that they do so much for charity is cool too.

Sure, there's other groups that offer that. But there are few that are as large as the Masons.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
kwillia said:
Do you know and associate with any FreeMasons already...:shrug:
Probably... but I wouldn't know. :confused:
I haven't noticed anyone wearing the symbols, but then... I haven't looked for it.

sleuth said:
Probably... but I wouldn't know. :confused:
I haven't noticed anyone wearing the symbols, but then... I haven't looked for it.
Then who are you expecting to vouch for you... that is a big hurdle to get over, don't you think...:shrug:

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
kwillia said:
Then who are you expecting to vouch for you... that is a big hurdle to get over, don't you think...:shrug:
Not really. I wouldn't be surprised if I started asking around to find that I already know someone.

:CenturyOldPyramidScheme:
We think it advisable to inform you that your admission to our Craft will entail certain financial obligations which you should be able to discharge without detriment to yourself or those dependent on you. In addition to the fees and contributions payable on your entrance, there will be an annual subscription for the support of your Lodge, and from time to time you may be called upon to contribute for the relief work connected with the Craft.

sleuth

Livin' Like Thanksgivin'
kwillia said:
:CenturyOldPyramidScheme:
I started this tread hoping to get some opinions from current and former members. I've considered many pros and cons and I've read lots of differing opinions on the subject, so anything you have to add in that arena isn't really helpful. :shrug: