Fried clam strips

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
We just had some from the grocery store. Eating them brought back memories. I recall them being a lot more popular in the 1960s & 70s. Outside of the New England area, you almost never see them on any restaurant menus. Another clam menu item I recall was spaghetti with clam sauce. They offered both white clam and red clam sauce for spaghetti in Italian restaurants. The dish was served with the clams still in the open shells. You rarely see that offered.

So has anyone seen clams offered on any menus recently?

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
We just had some from the grocery store. Eating them brought back memories. I recall them being a lot more popular in the 1960s & 70s. Outside of the New England area, you almost never see them on any restaurant menus. Another clam menu item I recall was spaghetti with clam sauce. They offered both white clam and red clam sauce for spaghetti in Italian restaurants. The dish was served with the clams still in the open shells. You rarely see that offered.

So has anyone seen clams offered on any menus recently?
What you just described was every I-talian restaurant on Long Island. Owned and operated by real I-talians. It wasn't clam sauce unless you picked out the shell.

Honestly, I haven't seen that in 20 years down here.

Clem72

Last time I saw fried clams on a menu was at a bowling alley grill 20 some odd years ago.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Happy Dragon in Leonardtown used to have them on the menu. I never argued when wifey and kids wanted to go to Happy Dragon. :belvak:

CRHS89

Fried clam strips remind me of attending the local carnival growing up. They sold them in pointed cups. That was the only time I ever had them as a child and was one of the reasons I looked forward to the carnival.

limblips

PREMO Member
We just had some from the grocery store. Eating them brought back memories. I recall them being a lot more popular in the 1960s & 70s. Outside of the New England area, you almost never see them on any restaurant menus.
True fried clam strips in New England are Softshell Piss Clams (manoes down here). They are hard to ship because they break so easily. Which might explain their disappearance. We used to get them by the pound, steam them, strip the foreskin, dip them in the broth to get the grit off, dip in melted butter and enjoy. I am headed north next week I will search out some pissahs and stuff myself.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
strip the foreskin

:twitch: The first time I ever saw a mano was at Stoney's on Broome's Island. My date ordered them and when they arrived I thought I was going to barf. Then when he started eating them I had to look away. He offered me one and right then and there I decided this would be our last date.

I exaggerate slightly, but they did gross me out.

lucky_bee

RBF expert
every local seafood shack in CT had fried clam strips 😋 I could eat a whole basket of them. Never realized there were other clams people consumed, and these style weren't typically offered elsewhere in the country until I moved out of CT.

Ooh I could go for some right now 🤤

Kyle

ULTRA-F###ING-MAGA!
PREMO Member
Never got the appeal of these things. They never seemed to have any taste.

Just the sensation of chewing on deep fried shredded leather.