Friend diagnosed with Alzheimer's - what to say?

Restless

A dear friend just found out he has Alzheimer's. I've already spoken to his wife and knew what to say, but what to say to him? Do I say "I'm so sorry this has happened to you"? I'm at a loss for words. I searched online for what to say and there is virtually nothing. Strange.

What would you say?

Bann

Doris Day meets Lady Gaga
PREMO Member
I think it all depends. How close are you to this friend? Does the friend know? I mean, is he cognizant of the condition and aware enough at this point?

If he is, just talk to him as you would normally - whatever that was *before* you found out. You can certainly tell him that you're sorry, but I would wait to see how he's taking it before trying to find words just to say TO him. I think YOU are trying to convery YOUR feelings to HIM. That's normal, but maybe you shouldn't burden him with that, yet. (except to show you care, and can be there for him, if you can, etc.) Ask him how HE feels about it, ask him about his treatments, talk to him about the knowledge he has about it now and how he thinks it might affect his future.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
If he didn't tell you personally, I wouldn't make a big deal out of it or treat him any differently. Express support to the wife, but until he brings it up to you himself, I'd just go on like normal.

Unless it was someone I was very close to, then I'd broach the subject and let them know that I'm available if they need a friend.

Radiant1

Soul Probe
Sometimes a sympathetic hug or pat on the back says more than words ever could. Imo, if you don't know what to say, then don't say anything.