Frikkin' Slobs

Really nice out, decided to take a walk around Myrtle Point. Sun is shinning, breeze is blowing, tide is up. Workers were trimming the paths and the smell of the grape vine cuttings reminded me of the woods back home in my youth.

And then I got to the beach. There was trash strewn everywhere. Beer bottles, soda cans, a beach broken chair, papers.... just butt ugly. I'm annoyed on a few different levels.

There was a trash bin not 20 steps away from the biggest part of the mess.

Posted signs clearly say no glass containers, no alcohol. Obviously someone can't read.

I could have chalked this up to a bunch of kids feeling their oats and moved on, but the footprints were of young kids, too young to be there on their own, so it was most likely a family unit. What a great example to teach your kids.

A few years back I was hiking there and took a path to the water. The place was a total disaster. The "fishermen" were using it and leaving trash everywhere. There was even a small BBQ grill with warm coals in it and no one around. I see today that the path has been blocked, so I'm hoping it was cleaned up.

This is a great park. I love that the local park police aren't hovering over you and leave you be. But obviously there are those who need to be watched and made responsible for their actions.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
Really nice out, decided to take a walk around Myrtle Point. Sun is shinning, breeze is blowing, tide is up. Workers were trimming the paths and the smell of the grape vine cuttings reminded me of the woods back home in my youth.

And then I got to the beach. There was trash strewn everywhere. Beer bottles, soda cans, a beach broken chair, papers.... just butt ugly. I'm annoyed on a few different levels.

There was a trash bin not 20 steps away from the biggest part of the mess.

Posted signs clearly say no glass containers, no alcohol. Obviously someone can't read.

I could have chalked this up to a bunch of kids feeling their oats and moved on, but the footprints were of young kids, too young to be there on their own, so it was most likely a family unit. What a great example to teach your kids.

A few years back I was hiking there and took a path to the water. The place was a total disaster. The "fishermen" were using it and leaving trash everywhere. There was even a small BBQ grill with warm coals in it and no one around. I see today that the path has been blocked, so I'm hoping it was cleaned up.

This is a great park. I love that the local park police aren't hovering over you and leave you be. But obviously there are those who need to be watched and made responsible for their actions.

I always forget about going there. I usually end up at Greenwell or Sotterley.

blacklabman

Blacks from Waldorf. Close the beach! Make the many pay for the actions of a few. Seems to be the policy these days.

glhs837

Power with Control
Blacks from Waldorf. Close the beach! Make the many pay for the actions of a few. Seems to be the policy these days.

Not in my experience. Last time I went kayaking out of there it was more of a South of the Border sort of crowd, like you might find at Point Lookout. Now that PL charges more, they are looking for other places that are free. See a lot of it down by the college. White work vans barely clearing the line on the breakdown lane with 5-10 people lounging about.

Not in my experience. Last time I went kayaking out of there it was more of a South of the Border sort of crowd, like you might find at Point Lookout. Now that PL charges more, they are looking for other places that are free. See a lot of it down by the college. White work vans barely clearing the line on the breakdown lane with 5-10 people lounging about.

As far as the "fishermen" go, absolutely true. Can't answer to anyone else, didn't see them.

$5 admittance fee per vehicle.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
The Potomac island I help manage has, in the last few years, had problems with that "south of the border" crowd. They'll rent a small boat at Cobb Island, or a bunch of them will be piled in one they own and launch at Cobb Island, and then put in at any of the several beaches on our island (legal) but will then go walkabout, picnic..leave trash behind..(illegal trespass). We put up signs..they tear them down.

Clem72

This is exactly right. Hispanics out fishing in the morning and throwing their trash everywhere. It's been a game of whack-a-mole with the beach access parks in SOMD for a while. These guys come in, trash the place up, then the park gets wise and starts charging admission and they move on to the next park.

calamity jane

I have tried on 2 occasions to get into PL with my grandchildren, only to be turned away due to full capacity. I was told by our friends who were in there that it was wall to wall full with immigrant folks. It also chaps my ass no end to see them on the river at Benedict then come back to see piles of trash left on the ground everywhere. I dont care who uses the beaches and rivers here but the disrespect gets to me.

Well, guess I wasn't the only one who was upset.

http://www.thebaynet.com/articles/0...ence-at-elms-beach-and-myrtle-point-park.html

The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office, in partnership with the St. Mary’s County Department of Recreation and Parks, will increase patrols in the areas of Myrtle Point Park, located at 24050 Patuxent Boulevard, California, MD, and Elms Beach, located at 19350 Back Door Road, Lexington Park, MD.

Both Myrtle Point Park and Elms Beach are open to the public from sunrise to sunset, each day. The St. Mary’s County Sheriff’s Office and the St. Mary’s County Department of Recreation and Parks have received reports of trespassing after park closing hours, including open containers of alcohol, destruction of property and fights.

SeptemberLady

Brown-Eyed Girl
Same disrespectful, "South of the Border" families at Eagle Harbor in Southern P.G. County, where they had to close off the beach on one side used by boaters. So, what did some idiot do....ram the gate they put up. My husband use to let out there to go crabbing. Permanently closed for now! The last time we were down there, the park on the other side was being trashed up by these people. Until the Southern Maryland counties get a hold on this problem, we may not be able to enjoy because of those who have no desire to assimilate and thus have no respect.

Monello

Smarter than the average bear
PREMO Member
Up on the Potomac river the picnic area near the boathouse was a huge trash pile after some of our visitors at down by the water's edge. I'm not talking about a few paper plates. It was as if everyone eating that day threw every wrapper on the ground. They need to start fining these people. Have a few INS agents stroll through the park with a camera and binoculars might help.

glhs837

Power with Control
Maybe just a green coat with large yellow letters on the back........ Ballcap with a yellow star......