From Sports Bar to Soup Kitchen

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
My hometown in NJ and the next town over had a lot of corner & neighborhood bars. It was about half blue collar workers in the 1960s & 1970s. The corner bar near where I lived opened early. By 8am, all the bar stools were occupied by the night shift workers. These were a shot and a beer drinkers. Nobody was ordering a brandy alexander in those places. I never saw any women in there unless it was the owner's wife. Many guys had their designated bar stool.
That accurately describes my Sunday morning customers when I had the bar. That was the only time I regularly bar tended at my place because a) the regular bar tenders needed the time off and b) none of my Sunday morning regulars ordered a mixed drink any more complicated than a Black Velvet and coke...

OccamsRazor

I thought I explained it very well in my reply, but since you didn't understand it, here we go:
Stop commenting on a subject you apparently knw NOTHING about.
Now run along to one of those establishments you rattled off & pretend it hasn't changed hands 6 times already since to 70s...

I can't wait for you to find maybe 1 that has the original owners so you can come back to prove me "wrong"...
I'm sure it will bore me just as much as it will thrill you...
Keep moving them goal posts!

My initial and ONLY argument here was that there are plenty of establishments/bars that are still open despite the obstacles that you mentioned. Feel free to add or remove needless side-notes to your point to validate what you are saying in response to my point but... ya' know... insults and straw men will definitely shield you from admitting being wrong.

OccamsRazor

I stopped going to bars because.....I grew up. I won't even have a beer and then drive home because if I get pulled over I lose my job.
A lot of people do the same. Which is why there aren't as many establishments around anymore. Survival of the fittest. Pretty simple.

PeoplesElbow

The navy also started cracking down on civilian DUIs in the last 20 years. Many in leadership had DUIs in the past, now it's instant revocation of your security clearance for over a year, so out of a job.

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
The navy also started cracking down on civilian DUIs in the last 20 years. Many in leadership had DUIs in the past, now it's instant revocation of your security clearance for over a year, so out of a job.
Partial demise of The Roost?

OccamsRazor

You obviously were not around here when DUI enforcement kicked in to high gear.
Maybe not but, I also have not been around long enough for ANYONE to explain to me how the businesses that I listed are still around DESPITE this massive crackdown in DUI enforcement. Which, of course, was part of my original point on this matter.

black dog

Free America
Not till KooKoo injects herself and super shoes.
Using Super Shoes !!!!!

iu (2).gif

PeoplesElbow

Just as a data point 20 years ago I had several coworkers that would go outside the gate at lunch time drink and come back. One was so bold to use a government vehicle to do it. Now I can't think of a single one that would even be capable of doing that.

tipsymcgee

If there's one thing EVERYONE knows about, it's bars/restaurants and food service. Just ask anyone and they'll tell you. Just read this forum and you have experts. Not a knock, just a common subject but very opinionated. Something everyone feels like they're an authority on.

Most of the country places have changed hands many times. And remember - just because a place closed or changed hands doesn't mean it wasn't successful. Many times it's the toll on the owners or retirement that are part of the reason to move on.

My belief has been for a while that it's two pronged - a lot more competition with chains and much more activity in town and California area. If nothing is happening, drive a half mile from Green Turtle to Red Robin to BDubs or whatever, or from Pub to Rex to Grill. Young people are needed for a bar survival, and these days gas and travel means nothing. There's no local commitment on a big enough level because they're going where the crowd is. Many of the successful places have managed to get a cross-generational crowd. There's less and less of that at the off the path old time places.

Just my .02.

CPUSA

My initial and ONLY argument here was that there are plenty of establishments/bars that are still open despite the obstacles that you mentioned. Feel free to add or remove needless side-notes to your point to validate what you are saying in response to my point but... ya' know... insults and straw men will definitely shield you from admitting being wrong.
Whatever.
Like I said...boring to me.
But please...say something else I could care less about..
Apparently, you like pointing out pointless BS

Bottom line? You weren't here in the 70s, 80s, 90s...you haven't a clue, so just....stop

OccamsRazor

If there's one thing EVERYONE knows about, it's bars/restaurants and food service. Just ask anyone and they'll tell you. Just read this forum and you have experts. Not a knock, just a common subject but very opinionated. Something everyone feels like they're an authority on.

Most of the country places have changed hands many times. And remember - just because a place closed or changed hands doesn't mean it wasn't successful. Many times it's the toll on the owners or retirement that are part of the reason to move on.

My belief has been for a while that it's two pronged - a lot more competition with chains and much more activity in town and California area. If nothing is happening, drive a half mile from Green Turtle to Red Robin to BDubs or whatever, or from Pub to Rex to Grill. Young people are needed for a bar survival, and these days gas and travel means nothing. There's no local commitment on a big enough level because they're going where the crowd is. Many of the successful places have managed to get a cross-generational crowd. There's less and less of that at the off the path old time places.

Just my .02.
Very well explained.

OccamsRazor

Whatever.
Like I said...boring to me.
But please...say something else I could care less about..
And yet.. you keep returning with insults and really nothing to negate my point. Must not be TOO bored huh?
Bottom line? You weren't here in the 70s, 80s, 90s...you haven't a clue, so just....stop
Nope. Wasn't here. Although, that point you bring up has absolutely no bearing on what I am discussing nor does it refute the points that I made.

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member

The number of bars plummeted over a 20 year period and never rebounded...and never will. You need to read posts. ;-p