Fun With Big Numbers By The Democrats

B

Bruzilla

This is from our friends at the DNC:

President Bush Withholds $5.1 Billion in Crucial Homeland Security Funds

Choosing political expediency over America's homeland security, President Bush is withholding funds authorized by Congress for a number of important priorities. The groups that won't be getting needed funds include firefighters, the Coast Guard, the FBI, the Transportation Security Agency, and others on the front lines protecting our homeland.

Despite Bush's claims that his refusal to spend the funds demonstrates fiscal restraint, the move was nothing more than a political ploy. The $5.1 billion is less than 0.4 percent the size of the tax cut Bush passed last year, which is the primary reason America is facing years of deficits -- after enjoying years of surpluses.

But despite the small impact the $5.1 billion would have on America's economic woes, the funds are vitally important to those who were supposed to receive them. Those groups included:

Firefighters and workers at Ground Zero. The spending bill included $340 million for equipment and training for firefighters and a study to determine the health effects on those who worked at New York City's Ground Zero. The money included funds for communications equipment that could have saved lives on September 11. (Firefighters have decided to boycott a tribute to those who died on September 11 to protest Bush's decision.)

Veterans. Bush rejected $275 million in health benefits for those who served their country in the military.

Transportation Security Administration. The TSA was supposed to receive $480 million to keep our airlines, railroads, and other possible terrorist targets safe.

Coast Guard. Bush held back $262 million in funds for the Coast Guard, despite heightened dangers to our coasts.

Defense Emergency Response Fund. More than $600 million for emergency response for America's military was thrown out.

Foreign aid. More than $600 million for foreign aid, including money to fight AIDS overseas, won't reach its destination.

The important priorities listed above account for just $2.5 billion of the $5.1 billion in the bill. But Bush said that only $1 billion of the bill was worth the money. What would he have cut from the list above, along with other priorities like the Center for Disease Control, a public health emergency fund, and disaster assistance, in order to reach that $1 billion? [Reuters, 8/14/02; New York Times, 8/14/02; FY2002 Supplemental Appropriations: Contingent Emergencies]

Ok.... did anyone else notice that nowhere in this article do the Dems seem the least bit concerned that some folks in government (on both sides of the isle) are trying to sneak over 2.6 BILLION DOLLARS out of the till under the guise of Crucial Homeland Security spending? More than half of the money that's being spent is going to bogus crap like CONUS military construction that should be covered in the regular appropriations bills.

Also notice that the Dems love to play the heartstrings by mentioning veterans, firefighters, Coasties, and trying to make us feel like we won't be safe if that 2.5 billion isn't spent. What the heck does Veteran's health programs and AIDS prevention have to do with Crucial Homeland Security? Answer: Not a damn thing! These are important issues that should be addressed in the normal budget process not in an emergency spending bill.

This bill was obviously turned into a cash cow for every pet project that Congress had, and Bush was 100% right to do what he did. An emergency situation should not give Congress the green light to circumvent the nation's budget process. And notice how the DNC sees no problem with blowing at least 2.6 billion dollars on pork but adamently objects to giving any money back to taxpayers in tax cuts. :mad: :mad:

Lastly, notice the little piece of propoganda about how the firefighters had decided to boycott the 9/11 tribute? Most credible reporting agencies only said that they were considering it, and the firefighter's union said that a boycott had never even been seriously considered, yet the DNC says that not only was it considered but approved. More lies.
:biggrin:

2ndAmendment

Just a forgiven sinner
PREMO Member
Over generalizations are all almost always wrong (Notice how I danced around that. Could I be in politics. Nope, I can't lie with a straight face) but if a politician's lips are moving, they are usually lying about something.

This is an election year. The Democrats are politicians to the nth degree. Other parties aren't far behind. Ask Sarbanes, Hoyer, or Mikulski a direct question to which an ordinary person could answer yes or no and you will get a page of writing that says nothing that they hope you, the reader, will get lost in the gobbledygook and think they actually said something.

Wouldn't be wonderful to have candidates that actually committed to a stance. Ones that had a belief system other than the belief that they want to be in power and will do anything to get there. We could actually find out what they stood for and against and make good decisions as to which candidates more closely represented our own beliefs.

I'm really wishing here. Wouldn't be great to have government by common sense instead of political correctness.

Frank

Chairman of the Board
Originally posted by cariblue

Yep. That's why I don't understand all the party bashing that takes place on this board. I think it's great to come on and express your opinion, but to go on and on in defense of one's party is nothing more than beating a dead horse.

I've been accused of being a liberal, when in fact I just happen to be registered as a dem. I don't always vote dem, but being registered that way somehow makes me part of the extremist evil demelites.

I'm actually a registered Democrat who tends to vote Republican. I did vote for Mikulski last time, because with all her failings, she did many things which affected me, and my family, one of them personally. Politically, I consider myself just right of center, because I have views on either side.

I don't think it's wrong necessarily to generalize, though, because both sides do it, and we're all bright enough to know the difference between party extremes, typical party lines, and so on. Right wing doesn't mean religious fundie, and left doesn't mean communist, at least not in this country.

B

Bruzilla

I agree about over generalizations, but I think you missed a key point. This article was not run by a liberal scream sheet or reported by some TV anchor. This article was written and run by the DNC on their official website. A generalization it is not, it is the official beliefs of the DNC.