Fundraisers ideas for sick child/medical expenses

LusbyMom

You're a LOON :)
Does anyone know how to start a fundraiser? Which ones work well? Do you need a tax id number? Are their organizations that will help with medical expenses?

I am asking because a child I know was just recently diagnosed with cancer. The medical bills are already growing and it's just the beginning. I would like to try and do something to help. I can't even imagine having to go through this with my child to begin with and on top of it trying to work and worrying about how to pay for everything :bawl:

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

frequentflier

happy to be living
Does anyone know how to start a fundraiser? Which ones work well? Do you need a tax id number? Are their organizations that will help with medical expenses?

I am asking because a child I know was just recently diagnosed with cancer. The medical bills are already growing and it's just the beginning. I would like to try and do something to help. I can't even imagine having to go through this with my child to begin with and on top of it trying to work and worrying about how to pay for everything :bawl:

Any ideas or suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Off the top of my head:
Have the parents open a bank acct for donations. A bank may be able to advise them about legalities. If not, an accountant may or a lawyer. Same goes for holding a fundraiser. Since I have only been involved with raising money for 501C3 animal rescue groups, I do not know how this works in this situation.

Check w/ local fire halls or VFW type places to see if you could hold a benefit- cheap or at no cost. Secure music entertainment- do you or anyone you know have friends or family in a band? Start soliciting donations from local businesses for auction items. If you have one major raffle item like a boat, car, motorcycle, dirt bike~ you can pre sell tickets.
Some businesses may donate some food or cases of bottled water, soda you can sell. Get volunteers to cook hots and hamburgs, bake brownies or cookies.
Look at moon bounce/ kids type entertainment.
Contacting the American cancer society may help you understand and become well versed on the type of cancer this child has and what the outcomes may be. They may alos be able to help w/ fundraising ideas.
Once you can put together an event, take advantage of the media for putting word out there about the event. And make up attractive fliers and distribute them every place you can.
Will keep thinking...

Last edited:

tipsymcgee

Also check with your local optimist or lions club. Some of them have cooking trailers or equipment and could provide food or even just provide manpower help for setting up, etc.