SCAM Alert Furniture Scam?

BernieP

Resident PIA
If you read the comments it looks like most say it's not a scam.

My question wouldn't be scam, I think you get good furniture, but is the merchandise hot?
Did they "borrow" the loaded trucK

inquiryjv

That does sound a bit suspicious, doesn't it? A white furniture truck going door to door selling off furniture from that place might raise some eyebrows. I haven't personally experienced this in my neighborhood, but it's always a good idea to be cautious when it comes to such unexpected offers. It's essential to verify the legitimacy of such sales. By the way, I'm in the middle of renovating my place too! If you're on the lookout for decent garden furniture, you might want to find more info online. What you can discover with a little online research is amazing.

Last edited:

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It used to park at the Brass Rail all the time. Bring a load of furniture up from NC. What the local furniture stores don't take, they sell out of the back of the truck.
Remember the guys that used to drive around with a bunch of "Harbor Freight quality" tools in the back of a pickup, trying to peddle it? Hydraulic presses, engine pickers, air compressors.....

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
It used to park at the Brass Rail all the time. Bring a load of furniture up from NC. What the local furniture stores don't take, they sell out of the back of the truck.
Yep. They'd have the stuff out in the parking lot on "display"...quite a lot of if sometimes.

limblips

PREMO Member
The whole furniture business is a scam. The markup on furniture is crazy. Their "sales" can be quite amusing: "Our best sale ever!" "Prices below our cost!" "Half price _____________ Day sale!"

Gilligan

#*! boat!
PREMO Member
Thompson's Furniture had a going out of business sale for YEARS before they finally closed.
LOL...sure do remember that. We bought some stuff early in the sale period because we needed to furnish an apt we'd just renovated to be used as a guest apartment (formerly a rental). Many years later...the going out of business sale was still going.... ;-p

RoseRed

American Beauty
PREMO Member
LOL...sure do remember that. We bought some stuff early in the sale period because we needed to furnish an apt we'd just renovated to be used as a guest apartment (formerly a rental). Many years later...the going out of business sale was still going.... ;-p
I went in there once, back in the 90's. It was SO trashy and dirty, I left and never went back.

Clem72

I did the same about 2002 or so.

Most furniture made today is pure junk. I went to Ohio and bought Amish stuff for not much more than the crap sold in stores.
We lost all our Amish stores down here. Not sure where I would even go to buy something made from real wood, not laminated MDF.

ski357

Plenty of Amish furniture and cabinet makers along Thompson Corner Road, but I think they mostly do custom stuff nowadays.

BadGirl

I am so very blessed
Be on the lookout for two really comfortable living room armchairs. The upholstery should be either an easily wipe-able leather, or a fabric that is the color of mud and dirt, because, you know....dogs.