FYI: Serious Accident on TJ Bridge, Bridge Closed

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
Thanks for the heads up. I was getting ready to cross over to the motherland and go to the bank when I saw this.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
On 04-29-16, at approximately 12:38p.m. members of the Calvert County Sheriff's Office and Maryland State Police responded to the Thomas Johnson Bridge for the report of a serious motor vehicle crash. On arrival, units determined a 2009 Dodge Ram Truck was traveling North on the Thomas Johnson Bridge when a 2010 Mercury Mariner traveling South crossed the double yellow center line striking the Dodge truck in a head on collision. Both vehicles came to final rest in the Northbound lane.

The operator of the Mercury Mariner was identified as Robert E. Bolan a 47 year old from Summit, New Jersey. Bolan sustained critical injuries as a result of the crash and was flown to R. Adams Cowley Shock Trauma Center at the University Maryland Medical Center in Baltimore, Md where he is listed in critical condition. The operator of the Dodge Truck was identified as Steven Smethurst, a 41 year old of Solomons, Maryland. Smethurst was transported via ambulance to Medstar St. Mary's Hospital. Due to the severity of the injuries, the Calvert County Sheriff's Office Collision Reconstruction Team responded to the Bridge and conducted their investigation.

At this time, driver error, speed and impairment are being investigated as contributing circumstances which led to the cause of the crash. Anyone with information may contact Sgt. Selkirk of the Crash reconstruction team at 410-535-2800 or selkirrc@co.cal.md.us.

vraiblonde

Board Mommy
PREMO Member
Patron
What is the problem with driving between the lines on that bridge? Seems like every time you turn around there's an accident.

David

Opinions are my own...
PREMO Member
They said 'impairment' and since they left out the word 'alcohol' I am assuming they mean something else like drugs...

Grumpy

They said 'impairment' and since they left out the word 'alcohol' I am assuming they mean something else like drugs...

Impairment by cellphone. There may have been alcohol/drugs involved but there seems to be more head-on collisions lately and I attribute that to texting/distracted driving. I see it every day driving to/from work, cars drifting over into another lane or on the shoulder only to be jerked back into their original lane.

Impairment by cellphone. There may have been alcohol/drugs involved but there seems to be more head-on collisions lately and I attribute that to texting/distracted driving. I see it every day driving to/from work, cars drifting over into another lane or on the shoulder only to be jerked back into their original lane.
:yeahthat:

Roman

IMO, the lanes are small, with very little, if any shoulder. It's beautiful scenery, and if a person looks off to the side for one second, they veer a little. Sometimes, that's all it takes.

IMO, the lanes are small, with very little, if any shoulder. It's beautiful scenery, and if a person looks off to the side for one second, they veer a little. Sometimes, that's all it takes.
No excuse. The lanes are wide enough for all vehicles including dump trucks. It's on the driver to drive within his/her lane.

PeoplesElbow

No excuse. The lanes are wide enough for all vehicles including dump trucks. It's on the driver to drive within his/her lane.

But that doesn't exactly happen all the time does it?

It would be better if they put up a wall so you can't see the scenery and put a jersey wall between the lanes.

glhs837

Power with Control

It would be better if they put up a wall so you can't see the scenery and put a jersey wall between the lanes.

Screw that. Tired of taking things away to protect us from people who can't operate.

BernieP

Resident PIA
diabetes (low BG), heart, stroke, sneezed, could be any number of things.
I'll wait for the police report before hanging him.

BernieP

Resident PIA

I attribute it to low IQ, a lot of morons on the road, they drive by the rule that common sense does not apply, just the rules, they rules as they understand them or in other words, how they interpret the motor vehicle regulations and traffic laws.

Blister

I think the bridge might not be up to your design modifications. 20 foot sections of Jersey Barriers weigh 8000 lbs. The base of a barrier is 2 feet wide, taking up more lane area. http://www.usbarricades.com/highway-median-barrier-20-concrete-573

The bridge is 1.37 miles long. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_Thomas_Johnson_Bridge

That is about 7,233 feet divided by 20 foot sections, times 8000 lbs. per section. That is roughly 2,893,200 pounds of added weight, not including your anti-sightseeing wall, on a bridge that is known to be structurally unsound, and well over capacity for daily travelers.

BernieP

Resident PIA
I think the bridge might not be up to your design modifications. 20 foot sections of Jersey Barriers weigh 8000 lbs. The base of a barrier is 2 feet wide, taking up more lane area. http://www.usbarricades.com/highway-median-barrier-20-concrete-573

The bridge is 1.37 miles long. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Governor_Thomas_Johnson_Bridge

That is about 7,233 feet divided by 20 foot sections, times 8000 lbs. per section. That is roughly 2,893,200 pounds of added weight, not including your anti-sightseeing wall, on a bridge that is known to be structurally unsound, and well over capacity for daily travelers.

nah, TJ and Nice bridges don't need an upgrade. Just less people.