Gaited Horse Clinic

Colliegal

There is a gaited horse clinic on March 28 & 29 sponsored by Plantation Walking Horses of Maryland. The trainer is Jennie Jackson and the cost is $275 for the weekend. Has anyone taken any clinics or lessons from her? What was your experience - good, bad? Any info would be helpful! I am interested in attending, but it is expensive. I'd like to know if anyone thinks it would be worth the investment. Thanks.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
If she was the one at the Expo, she knows a lot about walkers, and not a whole lot about the others (ie pasos and racking horses, and she never even mentioned fox trotters) she pushes using dressage to keep your horse in gait. Not my idea of how to do it, but to each his own.
Just my opinion, but i wasn't that impressed with her knowledge of gaited horses in general, although she seems to know a good deal about walkers, since i think you have a walker, you could prolly learn something from her. She just attended her first rocky judging seminar, and i'm not sure she's ridden many rackers.
A REAL gaited horse person is Liz Graves. Plantation has done clinics with her in the past which i have attended, and that woman knows gaits, gaited horses and how to ride and train them from bitting, to saddling to riding bareback, to the conformation of a gaited horse, you name it. I'd do another clinic with her in a heart beat.
What are you looking to learn?
I also don't think the fee is high, it's about average for what they offer in the clinic.

PS I'm a certified examiner for the Kentucky Mountain Horse Association (KMSHA)

Last edited:

Pasofever

Does my butt look big?
I am planning another upcoming clinic with Rick Shaeffer....if anyone is interested...most here have been to one of his clinics..usually $65 or so for a private lesson

Colliegal

I am planning another upcoming clinic with Rick Shaeffer....if anyone is interested...most here have been to one of his clinics..usually $65 or so for a private lesson

Hey, I would def be interested! Please keep me informed. . . Thanks.

mingiz

Horse Poor
Yea count me in this time I think JRide and I need a few pointers...but probably me more so....:whistle:

mingiz

Horse Poor
Maybe I'll bring Hondo....I'm planning to get a booth on Stallion Alley at the Expo next year for him.

Does that mean you'll be an expo star and we have to ask you for your autograph?:popcorn::whistle:

Hey 1 more day of threapy and then to Drs. Then hey hey ready to ride!!!!!:jerry: How's RC doing? I can't imagine what he has to endure.

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Does that mean you'll be an expo star and we have to ask you for your autograph?:popcorn::whistle:

Hey 1 more day of threapy and then to Drs. Then hey hey ready to ride!!!!!:jerry: How's RC doing? I can't imagine what he has to endure.

You mean Hondo's autograph? :lol: He'd prefer to be paid in carrots TYVM. We would have done it this year, but RC's injury stopped me. I need help dealing with all that and my one armed paper hanger wasn't up to it.

RC is miserable, but coming along. It's gonna be another 6-9 mos in PT, 3 xs a week. Therapist said he had the tightest shoulder she'd ever worked with. :frown:

mingiz

Horse Poor
You mean Hondo's autograph? :lol: He'd prefer to be paid in carrots TYVM. We would have done it this year, but RC's injury stopped me. I need help dealing with all that and my one armed paper hanger wasn't up to it.

RC is miserable, but coming along. It's gonna be another 6-9 mos in PT, 3 xs a week. Therapist said he had the tightest shoulder she'd ever worked with. :frown:

Poor guy. I can't imagine going to PT for that long 12 sessions was enough for me. I think more of it was the drive distance, I spent more time on the road than in therapy...Well I hope that he does as he's told so he can get back out on the roads and trails.....

happyappygirl

Rocky Mountain High!!
Poor guy. I can't imagine going to PT for that long 12 sessions was enough for me. I think more of it was the drive distance, I spent more time on the road than in therapy...Well I hope that he does as he's told so he can get back out on the roads and trails.....
yes..yes...being a garbage collector for the state is a big responsibility! :lol: