Gale Sayers

Coventry17

That would be HE and Jim Brown.... and, no they weren't. Gale Sayers was electrifying to be sure, but his body of work is way short of a TON of other running backs. Just off the top of my head.... Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Erik Dickerson, O.J. Simpson, Thurman Thomas... they have better career numbers and were more complete backs. LaDainian Tomlinson is going to be there, as well. Jim Brown, most certainly in the discussion, but not Gale Sayers.

Otter

Nothing to see here
That would be HE and Jim Brown.... and, no they weren't. Gale Sayers was electrifying to be sure, but his body of work is way short of a TON of other running backs. Just off the top of my head.... Walter Payton, Emmitt Smith, Barry Sanders, Erik Dickerson, O.J. Simpson, Thurman Thomas... they have better career numbers and were more complete backs. LaDainian Tomlinson is going to be there, as well. Jim Brown, most certainly in the discussion, but not Gale Sayers.

Are you high??? more complete backs??? Sayers ran and caught out of the backfield, returned kickoffs and punts..Any of your mentioned backs do all of that?? IMO, Gale Sayers is right up there with Jim Brown, just cause injuries cut his career short doesn't mean he isn't one of the greatest. Career numbers do not automatically make a running back great.

mainman

Set Trippin
Are you high??? more complete backs??? Sayers ran and caught out of the backfield, returned kickoffs and punts..Any of your mentioned backs do all of that?? IMO, Gale Sayers is right up there with Jim Brown, just cause injuries cut his career short doesn't mean he isn't one of the greatest. Career numbers do not automatically make a running back great.
I can't think of any modern day back that can throw those types of moves...

Sayers was before my time, but when I think of finesse, I think of Sweetness...

Barry had some moves...

When I was a kid I thought Billy Dee Williams was Gale Sayers...:lmao: :doh:

wineo

loving life
I can't think of any modern day back that can throw those types of moves...

Sayers was before my time, but when I think of finesse, I think of Sweetness...

Barry had some moves...

When I was a kid I thought Billy Dee Williams was Gale Sayers...:lmao: :doh:

I love that movie Brian Song.

Nupe2

:yeahthat: Sayers was something special regardless of the injuries. He could do it all! Saying that doesn't take anything away from Payton and the rest. Just wanted to draw some attention to someone that a lot of the "youngsters" may not have had a chance to see and appreciate.

donbarzini

1. Jim Brown
2. Walter Payton
3. Gale Sayers(Longer career would have PROBABLY moved him up)
4. Earl Campbell(That Monday Night game against Pitt was the best I've seen)
5. Larry Brown(George Allen took 8 years off his career)

Nupe2

1. Jim Brown
2. Walter Payton
3. Gale Sayers(Longer career would have PROBABLY moved him up)
4. Earl Campbell(That Monday Night game against Pitt was the best I've seen)
5. Larry Brown(George Allen took 8 years off his career)

:yay: Although I would put O.J., Barry Sanders, Emmitt, and even Riggins on the list ahead of Campbell and Larry Brown.

donbarzini

:yay: Although I would put O.J., Barry Sanders, Emmitt, and even Riggins on the list ahead of Campbell and Larry Brown.

You can certainly make an argument for all 4, but I purposely left Sanders off the list because he left early and voluntarily.