Game Theory

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Hobbesian trap

The Hobbesian trap (or Schelling's dilemma) is a theory that explains why preemptive strikes occur between two groups, out of bilateral fear of an imminent attack. Without outside influences this situation will lead to a fear spiral (catch-22, vicious cycle, Nash equilibrium) in which fear will lead to an arms race which in turn will lead to increasing fear. The Hobbesian trap can be explained in terms of game theory. Although cooperation would be the better outcome for both sides, mutual distrust leads to the adoption of strategies that have negative outcomes for individual players and all players combined.[1] The theory has been used to explain outbreaks of conflicts and violence, spanning from individuals to states.[2]

- Nash equilibrium

In game theory, the Nash equilibrium is a solution concept of a non-cooperative game involving two or more players, in which each player is assumed to know the equilibrium strategies of the other players, and no player has anything to gain by changing only their own strategy.[1] If each player has chosen a strategy and no player can benefit by changing strategies while the other players keep theirs unchanged, then the current set of strategy choices and the corresponding payoffs constitutes a Nash equilibrium. The reality of the Nash equilibrium of a game can be tested using experimental economics method.

Stated simply, Amy and Will are in Nash equilibrium if Amy is making the best decision she can, taking into account Will's decision while Will's decision remains unchanged, and Will is making the best decision he can, taking into account Amy's decision while Amy's decision remains unchanged. Likewise, a group of players are in Nash equilibrium if each one is making the best decision possible, taking into account the decisions of the others in the game as long the other party's decision remains unchanged.

- Game theory

Not to be confused with Game studies.
This article is about the mathematical study of optimizing agents. For other uses, see Game theory (disambiguation).

Game theory is the study of strategic decision making. Specifically, it is "the study of mathematical models of conflict and cooperation between intelligent rational decision-makers."[1] An alternative term suggested "as a more descriptive name for the discipline is "interactive decision theory.[2] Game theory is mainly used in economics, political science, and psychology, as well as logic, computer science, and biology. The subject first addressed zero-sum games, such that one person's gains exactly equal net losses of the other participant or participants. Today, however, game theory applies to a wide range of behavioral relations, and has developed into an umbrella term for the logical side of decision science, including both humans and non-humans (e.g. computers, animals).

Modern game theory began with the idea regarding the existence of mixed-strategy equilibria in two-person zero-sum games and its proof by John von Neumann. Von Neumann's original proof used Brouwer fixed-point theorem on continuous mappings into compact convex sets, which became a standard method in game theory and mathematical economics. His paper was followed by the 1944 book Theory of Games and Economic Behavior, co-written with Oskar Morgenstern, which considered cooperative games of several players. The second edition of this book provided an axiomatic theory of expected utility, which allowed mathematical statisticians and economists to treat decision-making under uncertainty.

This theory was developed extensively in the 1950s by many scholars. Game theory was later explicitly applied to biology in the 1970s, although similar developments go back at least as far as the 1930s. Game theory has been widely recognized as an important tool in many fields. With the Nobel Memorial Prize in Economic Sciences going to game theorist Jean Tirole in 2014, eleven game-theorists have now won the economics Nobel Prize. John Maynard Smith was awarded the Crafoord Prize for his application of game theory to biology.

- Stag hunt

In game theory, the stag hunt is a game that describes a conflict between safety and social cooperation. Other names for it or its variants include "assurance game", "coordination game", and "trust dilemma". Jean-Jacques Rousseau described a situation in which two individuals go out on a hunt. Each can individually choose to hunt a stag or hunt a hare. Each player must choose an action without knowing the choice of the other. If an individual hunts a stag, he must have the cooperation of his partner in order to succeed. An individual can get a hare by himself, but a hare is worth less than a stag. This is taken to be an important analogy for social cooperation.

- Prisoner's dilemma

The prisoner's dilemma is a standard example of a game analyzed in game theory that shows why two completely "rational" individuals might not cooperate, even if it appears that it is in their best interests to do so. It was originally framed by Merrill Flood and Melvin Dresher working at RAND in 1950. Albert W. Tucker formalized the game with prison sentence rewards and named it, "prisoner's dilemma" (Poundstone, 1992), presenting it as follows:

Two members of a criminal-gang are arrested and imprisoned. Each prisoner is in solitary confinement with no means of communicating with the other. The prosecutors lack sufficient evidence to convict the pair on the principal charge. They hope to get both sentenced to a year in prison on a lesser charge. Simultaneously, the prosecutors offer each prisoner a bargain. Each prisoner is given the opportunity either to: betray the other by testifying that the other committed the crime, or to cooperate with the other by remaining silent. The offer is:

• If A and B each betray the other, each of them serves 2 years in prison
  • If A betrays B but B remains silent, A will be set free and B will serve 3 years in prison (and vice versa)
  • If A and B both remain silent, both of them will only serve 1 year in prison (on the lesser charge)

That's what I'm talking about! Let's get some game theory discussions going on up in here.

The floor is yours GURPS, get us started.

Also, why is this in the Conspiracy Theory forum?

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Conspiracy Theory, Prepping, UFOs, the Esoteric

well I got hear with that post about Walter Berns ...

in reading ....

THE JAFFA-BERNS FEUD REVISITED

I suppose it is useful or necessary to go back briefly to the fountainhead of the wider controversy: Leo Strauss. The Straussian outlook usually reduced to three axes: ancients versus moderns; the tension between reason and revelation; and the interpretation of esoteric writing. And the Hatfield-McCoy-style feud between East and West Coast factions is said to reduce chiefly to a dispute about how to understand John Locke, America, and the relation of philosophy or the philosophic life to politics or political life. From these theoretical differences arise differences in opinion about the nature or character of the American regime, and the basis for patriotism. Berns inclined toward a Hobbesian reading of Locke while Jaffa worked out an Aristotelian reading of Locke. Jaffa thought America the best regime, in the classical sense. Though he never declared himself directly on the question as Jaffa did, Berns probably thought so too, but for reason best captured in the old joke that an optimist thinks this is the best of all worlds, while the pessimist knows it is. Berns was more pessimistic about the nation’s course, and who can blame him. Jaffa, in one of his last interviews, said he was neither pessimistic nor optimistic—he saw grounds for both.

Hobbesian reading :confused:

Wth is that .... so off on a search I went

So Hobbes Postulated in Leviathan: Bellum omnium contra omnes

Hobbes' use

In Leviathan itself,[2] Hobbes speaks of 'warre of every one against every one',[3] of 'a war [...] of every man against every man'[4] and of 'a perpetuall warre of every man against his neighbour',[2][5] but the Latin phrase occurs in De Cive:

Ostendo primo conditionem hominum extra societatem civilem (quam conditionem appellare liceat statum naturae) aliam non esse quam bellum omnium contra omnes; atque in eo bello jus esse omnibus in omnia.[6]

I demonstrate in the first place, that the state of men without civil society (which state we may properly call the state of nature) is nothing else but a mere war of all against all; and in that war all men have equal right unto all things.[7]

basically what was the possible state of the world 'before society'

In that state, each person would have a right, or license, to everything in the world​

there fore: According to Hobbes, the sovereign must control civil, military, judicial, and ecclesiastical powers.

also the State of Nature, comes into play ....

but I don't think it was Hobbes in the Hobbesian Reading ... but rather:
Hobson's choice aka Take it or leave it

Malapropism

A common error is to use the phrase "Hobbesian choice" instead of "Hobson's choice", confusing the philosopher Thomas Hobbes with the relatively obscure Thomas Hobson.[9][10][11][12] (It's possible they may be confusing "Hobson's choice" with "Hobbesian trap", which refers to the trap into which a state falls when it attacks another out of fear.)[13] Notwithstanding that confused usage, the phrase "Hobbesian choice" is historically incorrect.[14][15][16]

so now that I have prattled on, and the trolls will wander in and make fun of my prose, at least I attempted to research and learn something new

so Tilted ... Game Theroy or WTF is Hobbesian Reading - in the context of the quote

I have also been looking up Aristotelian - or the Philosophy of Aristotle

Last edited:

Salvador

One Nation Under God
Conspiracy Theory, Prepping, UFOs, the Esoteric

well I got hear with that post about Walter Berns ...

in reading ....

Hobbesian reading :confused:

Wth is that .... so off on a search I went

So Hobbes Postulated in Leviathan: Bellum omnium contra omnes

basically what was the possible state of the world 'before society'

In that state, each person would have a right, or license, to everything in the world​

there fore: According to Hobbes, the sovereign must control civil, military, judicial, and ecclesiastical powers.

also the State of Nature, comes into play ....

but I don't think it was Hobbes in the Hobbesian Reading ... but rather:
Hobson's choice aka Take it or leave it

Malapropism

A common error is to use the phrase "Hobbesian choice" instead of "Hobson's choice", confusing the philosopher Thomas Hobbes with the relatively obscure Thomas Hobson.[9][10][11][12] (It's possible they may be confusing "Hobson's choice" with "Hobbesian trap", which refers to the trap into which a state falls when it attacks another out of fear.)[13] Notwithstanding that confused usage, the phrase "Hobbesian choice" is historically incorrect.[14][15][16]

so now that I have prattled on, and the trolls will wander in and make fun of my prose, at least I attempted to research and learn something new

so Tilted ... Game Theroy or WTF is Hobbesian Reading - in the context of the quote

I have also been looking up Aristotelian - or the Philosophy of Aristotle

Ok. This post gave me a headache. I hope you dont talk like you type.