Garden 2022

Agee

Green Acres is my go to. Kinda sorry to see them getting so big.

Years ago I went looking for comfry. Couldn't find it, so asked a young man in case I was missing seeing it. He said no, then went and dug me up a shovelful from their garden.
X2 w/Green Acres, twenty years now fond memories of the oldest of the group approving my check!
Secrets Out! Introduced to the cone baskets there and a much smaller spot off friendship school rd.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
Pics?
I want to start a garden, but I don't no where to start.
Raised beds?
I recommend raised beds. The benefits outweigh the costs IMO. Once you make the initial investment, maintaining is a lot easier than tilled soil. You start out with weed free soil (for the most part) and you just have to replace nutrients that the plants use to grow. You get to place them for the best sun exposure. Start small so you don't get overwhelmed.
If I ever managed to get a place where I can do a garden again asparagus is going to be the first on my list.
My father and I (preteen) dug a patch for asparagus back in the day. We (I) dug up a 6'x10' patch about 24" or 36" deep, depending on which one you asked. You have to skip a year at first. Pop was excited because most of the plants survived and he was going to be able to finally pick some. A groundhog wiped out the whole patch one night leaving just one stalk standing. We never replanted...

my-thyme

..if momma ain't happy...
Patron
My father and I (preteen) dug a patch for asparagus back in the day. We (I) dug up a 6'x10' patch about 24" or 36" deep, depending on which one you asked. You have to skip a year at first. Pop was excited because most of the plants survived and he was going to be able to finally pick some. A groundhog wiped out the whole patch one night leaving just one stalk standing. We never replanted...
I planted asparagus twice following instructions on the bundle, couldn't get it to grow. Finally pulled a 1940's garden book, and followed their instructions.

Dig a ditch 18" deep, add 12" of rotted manure and compost, cover with 2-4" soil. Spread the roots out, cover roots with soil. Fill the ditch in as the spears grow. Don't cut for 2 yrs. After first frost, cut fronds and cover bed with fresh horse manure, 3+ inches deep. In Feb, lightly hoe in the manure.

Stop cutting any spears pencil size May 1. Stop cutting everything Memorial Weekend.

Just tilled under a 25 yr old bed that I let get taken by weeds. Current bed is 12 yrs old and gorgeous. Well worth all the effort!

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Got a few 'maters and 'taters in an empty spot in the front garden this morning. And since the deer won't leave my flower garden alone, I put fencing up all around it.

And while I was working in the garden the blasted Carolina Wrens built another nest in the garage in my toolbox. :doh: Fast little buggers....

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
And while I was working in the garden the blasted Carolina Wrens built another nest in the garage in my toolbox. :doh: Fast little buggers....
I love the little guys, beautiful chatter, but they are beginning to annoy the crap out of me.

Opened the garage door, walked to the mailbox. By the time I got back, they were in my toolbox and didn't want to be shooed out.

Walked outside, saw them fly away from the front of my truck. Looked in the grill. Yup. Another nest inside the grill. They've done this before, and the last one took a ride to Arkansas before I knew it was in there. But my great nephew got a kick out of it.

And of course you can't reach in far enough to clean it out, so I just spent a couple of hours removing the trim and the front grill just to get to the radiator so I could vacuum it out. At least while it was apart I could give it a deep clean to get the many miles of highway bugs off.

my-thyme

Patron
My box of baby bluebirds will soon be flying away. The little wrens are keeping a close watch, hoping to take over the box.

PrchJrkr

Long Haired Country Boy
Ad Free Experience
Patron
My box of baby bluebirds will soon be flying away. The little wrens are keeping a close watch, hoping to take over the box.
Don't bluebirds require something like a 1-1/8 inch hole for the entrance? For some reason that popped into my noggin. I don't think wrens are quite as particular. :lol:

Hmm… what kind of bird is this?

Attachments

• 65934286-FA99-4400-B441-FA48F750B68F.jpeg
    65934286-FA99-4400-B441-FA48F750B68F.jpeg
    870.2 KB · Views: 100

Agee

Avoided planting any form of a veg garden in some time, tired of feeding the animals. When I did, never had much luck with the early crops, well because I never got them in early! Any who, a few plants from a March grocery store run out down in one of my beds.

There's some cabbage, heads just starting, As it stands, table for one...

Attachments

• gar 3.jpg
    gar 3.jpg
    152.1 KB · Views: 57
  • gar 2.jpg
    gar 2.jpg
    144.8 KB · Views: 58
  • gar 1.jpg
    gar 1.jpg
    155.4 KB · Views: 56

Agee

I love the little guys, beautiful chatter, but they are beginning to annoy the crap out of me.

Opened the garage door, walked to the mailbox. By the time I got back, they were in my toolbox and didn't want to be shooed out.

Walked outside, saw them fly away from the front of my truck. Looked in the grill. Yup. Another nest inside the grill. They've done this before, and the last one took a ride to Arkansas before I knew it was in there. But my great nephew got a kick out of it.

And of course you can't reach in far enough to clean it out, so I just spent a couple of hours removing the trim and the front grill just to get to the radiator so I could vacuum it out. At least while it was apart I could give it a deep clean to get the many miles of highway bugs off.
Must say I admire your drive, attention to detail and overall talent, hope your family realizes how fortunate they are...

cheers

Attachments

• s iris.jpg
    s iris.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 60

my-thyme

Patron
I'm pulling some plants out if anyone wants them, Autumn Joy sedum. They make a large burgundy colored head in the fall. I'm trying to create a shady spot in my all-sunshine garden.

Meant to get them out for a plant swap, didn't happen.

0625180633b~3.jpg

Last edited:

PJay

I love Spring. All chores are done as in cleaning inside and out and my whiskey barrels are planted with pretty flowers. Done.

SamSpade

My biggest problem with gardens is - deer. There's just no place outdoors on my property that they won't eventually come and eat everything.
The only places I can grow are on my porch - which means herbs and small vegetable plants. When they're hungry, nothing deters them - smells, sounds, they don't care.

Years ago they weren't pests - I planted a quarter acre of vegetables. Now, they destroy them before they even produce anything. And you can't kill 'em all they just keep coming back.

Ken King

A little rusty but not crusty
PREMO Member
My biggest problem with gardens is - deer. There's just no place outdoors on my property that they won't eventually come and eat everything.
The only places I can grow are on my porch - which means herbs and small vegetable plants. When they're hungry, nothing deters them - smells, sounds, they don't care.

Years ago they weren't pests - I planted a quarter acre of vegetables. Now, they destroy them before they even produce anything. And you can't kill 'em all they just keep coming back.
Did you ever try hair? It works, human hair deters deer, squirrel and rabbit. So hit up some barber shops and see if they will let you sweep up and bag some clippings. Spread it around the perimeter or lightly work it into the soil.