Gas Run

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
That Maya Angelou quote comes to mind:

“When someone shows you who they are, believe them the first time.”

We had 47 years of that first-time experience with Senator and Vice President Joe Biden. We knew he had failed up throughout his political career and made more bad policy decisions than Pelosi’s had Botox injections. Yet Biden still managed to be installed as President because, “mean tweets!”, or something.

Candidate Biden tried to do a song and dance about ending energy production in the United States, but no one wanted to believe that he actually would. After President Biden’s Day One executive order killing the Keystone XL Pipeline, then others that put a moratorium on fracking and domestic gas production, I think it’s apparent that he meant what he said the first time.

It is now around Day 130 of the Biden administration, and we have had the privilege horror of seeing the result of his bad policy decisions in real-time. Gas prices have increased. Quite a lot, in fact.

After the Colonial Pipeline ransomware attack this weekend, we are now seeing a full-on fuel shortage, to a degree we have not seen since… oh, 1978?

Biden can be called out for his Energy Policy, not the Cyber Attack On Colonial Pipeline

kom526

They call me ... Sarcasmo
If found, those responsible for the cyber attack need to be publicly executed. Hell, if you hack into a hospital, firing squad, banking center? Hang them by the neck. National infrastructure such fuel deliveries? Drawn and quartered.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
National infrastructure such fuel deliveries?

This group ' claims ' to have ethics and morals and ONLY Attacks For Profit Companies 🤣

Cyber Security is ALWAYS Paid Lip Service to and An After Thought ...... those running Colonial Pipe Line should be Publicly Drawn and Quartered

Estimated Revenue 1.4 Billion .... I'm sure they have a few shekels to spare on a robust cyber security program

It is difficult to patch the human security risks, but you can damn sure mitigate the circumstances and educate the user base

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
"Gas Run Has Begun" - Fuel Stations Run Dry Amid Hacked Pipeline

Gas shortages are being reported in the Southeast of the US amid the recent cybersecurity attack that temporarily shut down one of the largest pipelines in the US.

Colonial Pipeline Co. Chief Executive Officer Joseph Blount said the company was in the process of restoring its systems but wouldn't resume fuel shipments until the ransomware had been removed, according to Bloomberg.

At the moment, Colonial Pipeline is manually operating a segment of pipeline between North Carolina to Maryland and expects a complete system restore by the weekend. However, gas shortages are already being reported across North Carolina to Florida to Alabama.

On Monday, North Carolina Governor Roy Cooper signed an Executive Order declaring a state of emergency, temporarily suspending motor vehicle fuel regulations to ensure adequate fuel supply supplies throughout the state.

WLOS' Caitlyn Penter reported gas shortages in North Carolina.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
CEO of pipeline company crippled by cyberattack warns of potential fuel shortages: report

The CEO of the company whose pipeline was crippled by a cyberattack warned Monday of potential supply shortages in the Southeastern U.S., even as it works to reopen the line and remove the ransomware.

While Colonial Pipeline Co. is working out a complex plan to restart operations, CEO Joseph Blount said in a private meeting Monday, they needed to remove the ransomware before resuming shipments, reported Bloomberg News.

He spoke in a virtual meeting that included Deputy U.S. Energy Secretary David Turk, Bloomberg said, citing someone familiar with the 18-minute discussion. The company did not immediately comment but issued a statement a short time later.

“Restoring our network to normal operations is a process that requires the diligent remediation of our systems, and this takes time,” Colonial said in a statement Monday evening. “In response to the cybersecurity attack on our system, we proactively took certain systems offline to contain the threat, which temporarily halted all pipeline operations, and affected some of our IT systems. To restore service, we must work to ensure that each of these systems can be brought back online safely.”

Hijinx

I believe it is panic buying that is creating the shortage..
However whatever it is the problem is there.
I was going to go down and catch the last half of bike week in Myrtle Beach, Hope to still go, but there is some doubt now.

I am certainly not fond of Muslim punishments, but cutting the hands off hackers sounds pretty good to me right now.
The ransomware hackers need to be taken down------------------HARD.

Reactions: BOP

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
I believe it is panic buying that is creating the shortage ..

Just in time deliveries .... not enough tanker drivers and the pipeline was moving 100 million gallons a day

with only a 4 or 5 day supply or storage at the other end .... it cost money to have stock sitting around

that's why Big Box Stores are constantly are stocking ... no real regional warehousing

LightRoasted

If I may ...
If I may ...

Not to start a panic, but wife just texted me that a major chain gas station just ran out of gas in our area. When I filled up this morning, every driver was also filling those red gas cans.

can we make cars run on TP? Cause I gots pallets of that double-ply goodness :)
Everybody! Quick! Run to the liquor store and load up on Everclear! Not only can it be used to drink, It'll run your car too.

Grumpy

Well, even tho I only fill my cars up once a month and due for them to be filled end of week, I will make a gas run today and I do need gas for my lawn tractor...this oughta be fun. Pray for me

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
I filled up Sunday in anticipation of a trip to DC on Mon. Still have 3/4 tank, so I'm good for a couple of weeks.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
‘BIDEN’S AMERICA’: Gas Stations In Multiple States Run Out Of Fuel, Sparking Panic

“Gas stations along the Southeast coast are beginning to feel the pinch from the shutdown of the biggest oil pipeline in the US due to a crippling cyberattack believed to be orchestrated by a Russia-based criminal group,” The New York Post reported. “The closure of the 5,500-mile Colonial Pipeline, which carries more than 100 million gallons of fuel from Texas to New Jersey each day, has stretched into its fifth day.”

On social media, multiple videos went viral of people showing that their gas stations were out of fuel in states including Florida, Georgia, North Carolina, South Carolina, Alabama, Virginia, Arkansas, Tennessee, and others. Panic buying might be playing a role in gas stations running out of fuel, although it is hard to tell based on initial reports.

Sneakers

Just sneakin' around....
Well, even tho I only fill my cars up once a month and due for them to be filled end of week, I will make a gas run today and I do need gas for my lawn tractor...this oughta be fun. Pray for me

Clem72

Damn. Should have bought that electric car. Might take me a year to charge it from my 10w solar USB charger but I can be self-sufficient!

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Maybe the Pipeline Terrorists Are Just Environmentalists

If Joe Biden doesn’t get out in front of the Colonial pipeline cyberattack that has shut down a major fuel pipeline for two days and is beginning to cause panic in some areas of the Southeast, it’s going to hurt him badly. People tend to closely tie the situation at the gas pump with the man sitting in the Oval Office. And guess what? In Biden’s case that is perfectly reasonable after his spokesperson blandly dismissed concerns about the ransom attack on a critical portion of U.S. infrastructure as merely a private matter for one business to hash out with their, I dunno, military and intelligence arms, I guess. You’re on your own, fellas! Good luck. Now Team Biden, the media report with uncharacteristic alarm, is “scrambling” to look like they’re doing something. Joe should ask his close pal Jimmy Carter how spending four years in perpetual scrambling mode worked out.
Here’s a little hunk of “whoa, things are getting bad”:

On Tuesday morning, more than 7 percent of gas stations in Virginia, 5 percent in North Carolina and nearly 4 percent in Georgia were without fuel, according to Patrick De Haan, an oil analyst at Gas Buddy. A number of stations in Florida, Alabama and South Carolina also reported dry pumps. De Haan said fuel demand in these states spiked 40 percent on Monday, and cautioned against panic-buying, which will only exacerbate the shortages.

If Biden himself were not on record as being himself a fan of shutting down fuel pipelines — Keystone XL not only was a menace to our American way of life by bringing us energy, Biden thought it had to be cut off before his first afternoon nap — this brewing crisis wouldn’t be so potentially damaging to him. Biden is an ardently pro-fuel-limits guy in a moment when fuel is limited. As one of his other first acts in office — “Let’s own Trump by endangering our energy future” — he also banned new fracking leases on federal land. Maybe it would be nice to have more energy supply rather than less given what’s happened since? Prices are already ticking up at the pump. The media can hide Hunter Biden’s influence-peddling and downplay Joe Biden’s lying, but they can’t hide gas prices.

GURPS

INGSOC
PREMO Member
Colonial Pipeline Shutdown: A Socially Responsible Ransomware Attack

Extortion as a Service

If the $70 billion run-up in Dogecoin that preceded Elon Musk’s Saturday Night Live appearance didn’t convince you we live in a simulation, perhaps this might. It’s an official statement released by the hacker syndicate DarkSide, which shut down the U.S. East Coast’s major gas pipeline last weekend:

We are apolitical, we do not participate in geopolitics, do not need to tie us with a defined goverment [sic] and look for other our motive [sic]. Our goal is to make money, and not creating [sic] problems for society. From today we introduce moderation and check each company that our partners want to encrypt to avoid social consequences in the future.

Typos aside, the statement reads like something out of a multibillion-dollar tech company responding to a Cambridge Analytica–style PR crisis. Silicon Valley entrepreneurs used to call themselves “hackers,” embracing the cypherpunk culture of the early Internet; now it’s hackers aping stakeholder capitalists. I mean, DarkSide literally calls its operations “Ransomware-as-a-Service” (RaaS for short), perhaps hoping the tech jargon will increase its valuation.

Here’s the group’s initial release statement:
We are a new product on the market, but that does not mean that we have no experience and we came from nowhere. We received millions of dollars profit by partnering with other well-known cryptolockers. We created DarkSide because we didn’t find the perfect product for us. Now we have it.